Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

My First Malibu

MALIBU/DUKE 87

interesting

well heres the update!

put the new impeller in the new housing and put the assembly bank in the boat.

new marine battery(installed) and have a new fuel filter(not yet installed)

cranked the motor over and it wont fire, used some ether to see if i had a spark and nothing, i checked all wires and connections. i checked the voltage on the coil and have nothing. That lead me to the 50 amp breaker on the front of the motor.

In losing the nuts on the rusted breaker i snaped one of the stud bolts(buying new breaker in the morning).

im i on the right track? there was no fuel to the carb either..........dirty fuel filter? bad gas? crank in the fuiel hose?

thanks guys, i dont have a whole bunch of motor time on these

well bought a new breaker, wont be here till tuesday at the earilest.

after doing some more research, i figue ill start with the breaker and if i dont have spark, ill replace the coil.

any thoughts?

thanks

right, makes sense

i do have the merc crusier manual as well "number 9" i think

thanks for the ideas pete

thanks will do

i heard of some guys installing an inline fuel pressure gauge, is it better to have it before the fuel pump or after?

my thought was after the pump

There is probably a shut off valve in the fuel line. Make sure it is valved on if you're not getting fuel to the carb.

no fuel shut off on my boat, maybe because its older?(87)

heres a question, what product can i use to clean the seats?(orginal)

they have a small amount of mold on them in some spots

thanks

heres a question, what product can i use to clean the seats?(orginal)

they have a small amount of mold on them in some spots

thanks

Babe's Seat Soap is pretty good stuff, but it can be expensive. I've also had good luck with Armor All "Cleaning Wipes" (not the protectant wipes).

Edited by ftlbs
1332293624919.jpganybody know what this switch is for? my guess is its aftermarket...........it to the right of the steering wheel Edited by MALIBU/DUKE 87

glass on the left is the fuel from the boat tank, glass on the right, clean fuel

i drained the tank and let it air out over night

1332287106807.jpg

Edited by MALIBU/DUKE 87

glass on the left is the fuel from the boat tank, glass on the right, clean fuel

i drained the tank and let it air out over night

I've never seen gas that clear. The one on the left looks normal to me, don't see any water in it either.

I've never seen gas that clear. The one on the left looks normal to me, don't see any water in it either.

its was straight out of the pump, i hope thats not what fuel looks like in your neck of the woods ;)

there was a small amount of water that came out of the 10+ gallons of fuel i pulled out of the tank

• 2 weeks later...

1332293624919.jpganybody know what this switch is for? my guess is its aftermarket...........it to the right of the steering wheel

Whatever you do, don't throw that switch !!! (ha, just kidding, I have no clue what it is, lol)

Steve B.

Whatever you do, don't throw that switch !!! (ha, just kidding, I have no clue what it is, lol)

Steve B.

hahaha man u got me.......my heart sank a little lol

• 2 weeks later...

Nice Skier and good job getting the motor running! I'll be watching this thread closely to follow your progress.

I have an '88 Skier in the Blue/Yellow/Red/Orange colors, it is definetly an 80s color scheme.

Last summer, I did all the mechanical work, engine, fuel system, installed an electronic ignition, etc. This summer it is floor, carpet, side bolsters and gel coat polishing.

I love how simple these machines are. Take your time, watch this forum and you can repair/improve anything on 'em.

Chuck A

BTW, I purchased that last remaining sunset decal from Bakes and am having a new set made for my boat. If you are interested, I can get the guy to make a second set. He is making me a set of sunsets (in the exact colors), a set of the "Malibu Skier" side decals, a set of the AWSA APPROVED TOW BOAT decals and the "Malibu boats" decal for the rear. He is also making me a boat name decal for the transom in the same font as the Malibu Boats decal. Name of the boat is "Miss Fire".

• 4 weeks later...

just wanted to thank everyone who followed this project and gave their time and thoughts

the time has come to part ways with my malibu and start a contracting company

please pm me if interested

thanks agian guys!

anybody know what this switch is for? my guess is its aftermarket...........it to the right of the steering wheel

I had a nearly identical switch on my 89 Sunsetter and it ran the pump for the warm water shower. The shower was an OE option. Not sure if you have/had same setup on your Skier?

Here's a link to the pic of mine. The switch is on the bottom and directly above it is an indicator light.

https://picasaweb.google.com/snedwick/89SunsetterTearDownStringerRepairDashboard#5676130731723118834