Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

My First Malibu

MALIBU/DUKE 87

hey everybody,

i just bought my first malibu and im getting ready to tear into her tonight! First thing to do is pull the blown up impeller. Any pointers i should know? Also the previous owner did a head gasket on it a few years ago, he was the orginal owner and the boat has 554 hours on it.

any other thoughts to look at tonight while i have her opened up?

thanks

Congrats on the new boat!

To get the impeller out, I found it easiest on mine to take the housing all the way off and take the backing plate off. Three more bolts and a couple minutes more made the job far easier.

As far as other stuff to look for if the impeller is missing any pieces start taking all the other water hoses off one by one and emptying them of water and possible debris. Also check the transmission cooler which should be on the other side of the engine down low. Mine is a round tube with a water hose at each end and two hydraulic hoses along one side. You only need to remove the water hoses and look through the cooler for blockages.

Check the oil and trans fluid if you haven't already.

Check for any corroded wires on the alternator and on the various sensors around the motor. There is only one harness, just follow it and it's branches off to the alt. and sensors.

There were some pretty awesome color combos back then. What colors are on yours?

thanks will do!

yes they did, my grandpa had one around 84/85/86 i think with the baby blue and creme, great looking boat

mine on the other hand is the "bicthin" burnt orange,brown and tan

the gel coat is in decent condition and i think will shine up nice

im thinking of naming her "boogie nights" due to the color combo

any thoughts?

I'd love to see pics of that one.

While I don't really put names on boats because I can't afford one big enough to be worthy, in the movie Maurice said it best: "Just wear what you dig."

Sounds like a fitting name for sure. :rockon:

As long as you find some deep shag marine carpets in brown.

very true, well just finished the tear down....... pulled the pump and the impeller. the impeller was missing 3 wings and the interior of the pump looked scared and pitted. Better safe than sorry to replace the pump housing as well huh?

i also found the 3 missing wings in the trans cooler

checked the oil and atf both looked clean and smell free.

when i replace the impeller, ive heard you have to "goose" the throttle to prime the motor with hose water. any thoughts on that?

thanks

very true, well just finished the tear down....... pulled the pump and the impeller. the impeller was missing 3 wings and the interior of the pump looked scared and pitted. Better safe than sorry to replace the pump housing as well huh?

i also found the 3 missing wings in the trans cooler

You sound smarter than the average, new malibu owner, glad to hear this.

checked the oil and atf both looked clean and smell free.

when i replace the impeller, ive heard you have to "goose" the throttle to prime the motor with hose water. any thoughts on that?

I've never heard of this.

thanks

also how do i load pics on the forum for you guys to follow?

Watch this.

im thinking of naming her "boogie nights" due to the color combo

any thoughts?

Do it, sounds perfect. But do it right, and have the font match whatever is currently on the boat.

Congrats, would love to see the pics too.

There's a kid, yes kid, 16 years old in our area that has an 86 burnt orange 'bu. He and his dad spent about 2 years re-habbing it.

I'll try to get pictures this summer, but needless to say it is showroom ! And runs like a top.

Steve B.

martinarcher

Nice Bu and nice work getting the impeller replaced and ready to rock. Rockon.gif I goose mine when I start it and the impeller housing is dry (after replacing it or after winter storage when it is dry). It helps increase RPM, which raises vacuum and helps with priming. Thumbup.gif

Welcome to the Crew!

Good luck, it looks like it would be the perfect rehab boat. I have the same pump, and I think your's is ready to replace.

Do you have a line on parts and stuff?

Steve B.

quick edit: thanks cervelo for plopping in the pics !

Edited by Steve B.

thanks for the help getting the pics up!!

yes i think it will be a fun project, considering i got the whole package for $1650!!!!!

as for parts, just my local boat shop. they are priced a little on the steep side though

thanks for the help getting the pics up!!

yes i think it will be a fun project, considering i got the whole package for $1650!!!!!

as for parts, just my local boat shop. they are priced a little on the steep side though

DUDE!! Nice haul! Did that include the 80's era BMX bike too?:Tease3:

Before you get too far into it, check the stringers and make sure your floor is solid. Even if you have some problems, with what you have into it you have lots of room for surprises. There are some really good threads on this site regarding Skiers and floor repairs.

Man, you gotta be excited.

thanks yes the colors have grown on me

the 80s bike you saw in the back is a home made mini bike that the owner thru in the deal, it has 6.5 horse honda motor, hauls a**!!

did a light floor inspection and the floor seems to be soild, i tourqued on the motor mounts as well and they are tight

lets talk about motor upgrades! any ideas? whats safe and whats not? i would love to make her louder, more like a hot rod sound, any thoughts?

thanks

You can do heads, intake manifold, exhaust, etc fairly easily. It's just a 350 Chevy carb motor.

You can delete your mufflers if you have them, otherwise read this from Martinarcher for a full 4" system:

There are some who have extensive motor mods, search is up on the top right of your screen. :biggrin: