Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Kill Switch Lanyard Poll

wakeboarder3780

127 members have voted

1. 1. Do you hook the kill switch lanyard to yourself when underway

2. 2. Does your kill switch work appropriately without modification (by adding folded paper or otherwise)

3. 3. If your kill switch does not work appropriately without modding, what style kill switch do you have

• Lanyard keeps button pressed down. If lanyard is pulled the button pops up.
    • Lanyard keeps button up. If lanyard is pulled the button pops down.
    • This question does not apply to me (not sure how to make a question optional)

Considering permanently connecting wires that run to kill switch. My switch always needs a folded piece of paper to make it depress far enough to allow use.

Edit: adding another question.

Edited by wakeboarder3780

Considering permanently connecting wires that run to kill switch. My switch always needs a folded piece of paper to make it depress far enough to allow use.

Don't have one on mine 94 Echelon, my buddy dosen't use his on his 03 Sportster, just keeps it hanging by the throttle

Did they stop putting them in or is it an option? I'm fairly certain based on the poll results already that I should permanently solder the circuit to always on.

Did they stop putting them in or is it an option? I'm fairly certain based on the poll results already that I should permanently solder the circuit to always on.

07' was the only year in recent years they didn't install it.

If you have one of the older styles that holds the button in, switch it out to the C-Clip style that holds the button out. They work way better and I never see them fail. (direct replacement too)

Paul

07' was the only year in recent years they didn't install it.

You you think that the USCG would require it to be there, even though most don't use it.

I remember it on my 02 vlx with the lanyard just dangling ther, does the 2010 have one? Never noticed or looked

I have one on my 2010.. The switch will work without the red lanyard attached to it so maybe you never noticed it was there.

Seems like boats and snowmobiles have a lot in common.

On my jet ski i always make sure it is hooked to my jacket before i start the thing, but on my sled it is wrapped around the handle bar like 99% of everyone that rides and on my boat it was bypassed by the original owner. (which i would have done anyway)

Edit: not my Malibu, it's to old, but my pontoon has one lol

Edited by jeepdude2

Not saying anyone else should do this but I hooked up the switch backwords such that installing the lanyard will keep the engine from starting.

Super easy to do.

We don't use the lanyard, but everybody in our boat ALWAYS wears a life jacket. And thankfully nobody has needed that, either.

I don't use the kill switch in the malibu, but in my runabout I use it when out on the ocean. Yea, we ski in the ocean, but not with the malibu. My brothers always use theirs in their go fast boats. They also always wear their (lifeline brand) racing vest.

I've been thrown out of my seat while in the ocean, but never out of the boat.

Edited by electricjohn

If you have one of the older styles that holds the button in, switch it out to the C-Clip style that holds the button out. They work way better and I never see them fail. (direct replacement too)

Paul

Dang Paul wish I would have known sooner, just placed an order with you guys :) Is it easy to replace? I noticed a hex head on it, do they just thread out backwards? I would rather do this than solder it together. Much more legit fix. If that acts up though the solder gun is coming out.

Going to add another poll question here, could anyone that voted saying their kill switch needs modification delete their vote and revote casting an answer for the last question please?

Edited by wakeboarder3780

I use the fix-it-and-forget-it lanyard kill switch.

Step one: fix it: swap wires on back of existing lanyard switch.

Step two: forget it.

Paul

This is what I did on my '97 VLX. The older style was worn out and kept failing. The new style is rock solid!

This is what I did on my '97 VLX. The older style was worn out and kept failing. The new style is rock solid!

I'm hesitant to try it after I see how many people have the style and say it fails them. But then this morning I realized that DOH the question was required so people were probably saying it failed them when it didn't so now I'm afraid to trust the data. I wish I would have made the poll correctly from the get go.

Can anyone who voted that the c-style clamp gives them trouble confirm by a post down here? You can also delete your vote and recast, I provided an alternative answer for #3 saying it doesn't apply to you.

Not saying anyone else should do this but I hooked up the switch backwords such that installing the lanyard will keep the engine from starting.

Super easy to do.

Curious on this as my boat is moored and I love the security stop :)

Curious on this as my boat is moored and I love the security stop :)

If I were you, I'd go a little further with a security stop.

Both of my vehicles have very well hidden, easy to access (if you know where they are), switches that interrupts the fuel pump circuit.

Any time I park in a shady area or, leave the car for awhile, I activate the switch.

I'm hesitant to try it after I see how many people have the style and say it fails them. But then this morning I realized that DOH the question was required so people were probably saying it failed them when it didn't so now I'm afraid to trust the data. I wish I would have made the poll correctly from the get go.

Can anyone who voted that the c-style clamp gives them trouble confirm by a post down here? You can also delete your vote and recast, I provided an alternative answer for #3 saying it doesn't apply to you.

The lanyard that keeps the button up WILL NOT FAIL. The only way it could fail would be for the plastic to compress enough for the button to depress. That isn't possible unless some extreme heat (fire?) was involved.

The older style (holds button down) will fail because the plastic key fatigues after years of pressure.

Buy the new style with confidence.

The lanyard that keeps the button up WILL NOT FAIL. The only way it could fail would be for the plastic to compress enough for the button to depress. That isn't possible unless some extreme heat (fire?) was involved.

The older style (holds button down) will fail because the plastic key fatigues after years of pressure.

Buy the new style with confidence.

I'm holding you to this bu hoo on order of at least 1 free beer if you're wrong ;)

I'll give the c-style clamp a go, but if it ever gives me any guff I'm going to have to "know a guy" too.

I'm holding you to this bu hoo on order of at least 1 free beer if you're wrong ;)

I'll give the c-style clamp a go, but if it ever gives me any guff I'm going to have to "know a guy" too.

No worries!