Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Optimizing Wake 98 Sunsetter Vlx

mnhays

I have a 98 sunsetter VLX and with no ballast I'm thinking to rig myself up a nice system with fat sacs and wire it all up to be automatic, but I'm not quite sure which route to go and what sizes sacs to use and placement. I would like to make the wake better for wakeboarding firstly, but I'm also a surfer so I want to have the ability to create that setup.

I don't have a wedge on my boat, but the V- Drive throws a nice wake already I just need it to be consistent for when I don't have more people in the boat. I've been reading all over the forums here to pick up all different ideas. I know I want to have sacs in my lockers but do I need 750 pounders or would 400 do the trick, also I see that the jabsco pumps are what I'd want to go with as I can just flip the switch and drain, but I'd appreciate any insight anyone here has, thanks. One other thing is my battery is on my port side in the back of locker and with the fat sac in there it would be a problem, I've seen some threads about moving the battery, but I'm also not sure where I would have to put mine. In all of the posts I've read about the wedges, I've seen that it steepens the wake, I don't really know which road to go down with respect to my ballast. Thanks in advance!

400 won't be enough for a surf wave on the sv23 hull. I've got 400's in rear plus a 500lb midship and even with the wedge the surf wake leaves something to be desired even with the wedge down. The wake boarding wake is great for me with this set up, with or without the wedge.

I don't see how you can avoid moving the battery out of the locker if you plan on using sacs.

I have a 99 VLX and put in a system last year, set up for wakeboarding and surfing port side. 750 in my port locker, 400 in my starboard. I just fill them for the same amount time for wakeboarding and they are usually pretty balanced. 400's are fine for me wakeboarding (along with locker sac). Definitely want a 750 for surfing. I would have put a 750 in the starboard side but it would have hit my bilge drain line, and I didn't want to move it. I did move the battery out of the port compartment to the gear locker on the port side. The 750 knocked off the battery cable once in a while, and does make the 750 fit better in that comparment.

For surfing, I also use a tube sac under the port side seats, and throw a 400 on the front port side seats (manual). I put a valve on the fill line from my starboard pump so I can use it to fill the sac under the seats. Surf wake is pretty good, though considering a wedge as well. Curious what others think about adding a wedge to this set-up.

Used Tsunami 800's, so 2 pumps per bag. Fills pretty quick, all on 2 way switches. Saw them at Walmart for $30 this weekend. Don't know how that would compare to the Jabsco

Used Tsunami 800's, so 2 pumps per bag. Fills pretty quick, all on 2 way switches. Saw them at Walmart for $30 this weekend. Don't know how that would compare to the Jabsco

Those Jabsco's are usually at least 100 if not more. So that seems pretty good for me. I figured I'd need to get more wake for the surfing with that hull and without a wedge. How did you go about plumbing your setup?

- Why go with Jabscos when you can run Johnsons for less money and a higher flow rate? Jabscos tend to be about $200/each while Johnsons are around $170.

- I ran 500lbs in each rear locker last year, and purchased 750lb sacks for this year. I know you can easily run 500's without relocating the battery; I will see about 750's. Your boat wants front weight - you may want to consider some bow ballast as well.

- I have the SV23 Diamond hull and the wedge is a 100% must have - I don't like the wake shape without it. I've heard with the SV23 Wake hull it isn't as big of a deal to have/not have.

- Why go with Jabscos when you can run Johnsons for less money and a higher flow rate? Jabscos tend to be about $200/each while Johnsons are around $170.

- I have the SV23 Diamond hull and the wedge is a 100% must have - I don't like the wake shape without it. I've heard with the SV23 Wake hull it isn't as big of a deal to have/not have.

Why run Johnson's if I can run 2 tsunamis for $60? that seems like the better way to go?

I know my SV23 Wake Hull gives a nice wake as is, but especially for surfing I know I need more weight, and I like the idea of the steeper wake with the wedge, I'm just looking at how to get a wedge on my boat for the cheapest price obviously.

Those Jabsco's are usually at least 100 if not more. So that seems pretty good for me. I figured I'd need to get more wake for the surfing with that hull and without a wedge. How did you go about plumbing your setup?

I used the Wakemakers add a bag system. 2 fills pumps in the bilge, and vented both bags. Figured venting was a little easier and seems to fill/drain fine. I originally put the drain pumps on the front of the bags so they wouldn't get crushed by the bags, but that didn't work well (pumps had trouble priming). Moved the drain on the 400 bag last year to the rear and it worked better, and there is enough room that it doesn't get crushed. Going to move the 750 drain this spring. Used vented loops on the fill lines, but switched to a check valve on one line since I kept having issues with the loop (leaked, didn't prevent draining I think cause I couldn't mount it any higher than the 750).

Each bag is on its own 3 way switch on the dash. Wiring was the hardest part for me, and had to cut a slot on the dash for one of the switches.

I used the Wakemakers add a bag system. 2 fills pumps in the bilge, and vented both bags. Figured venting was a little easier and seems to fill/drain fine. I originally put the drain pumps on the front of the bags so they wouldn't get crushed by the bags, but that didn't work well (pumps had trouble priming). Moved the drain on the 400 bag last year to the rear and it worked better, and there is enough room that it doesn't get crushed. Going to move the 750 drain this spring. Used vented loops on the fill lines, but switched to a check valve on one line since I kept having issues with the loop (leaked, didn't prevent draining I think cause I couldn't mount it any higher than the 750).

Each bag is on its own 3 way switch on the dash. Wiring was the hardest part for me, and had to cut a slot on the dash for one of the switches.

Wiring that will probably be quite the adventure for me as well, but I need to figure out whether putting weight in the bow or in the locker makes much of a difference and whether or not it's necessary, I know I've been recommended to put weight in the bow to help cause the boat definitely needs it, but I'm skeptical as to how I'll have this all come together. I've first got to tackle my battery moving problem..

Also, is this the type of switch you ran for filling and draining your bags? http://www.wakemakers.com/supra-moomba-ballast-switch.html

I was also thinking to vent mine, because across the forums no one can come up with a yes or no it's just preference, but I like the option of seeing that when they're full they just drain through the vent and you know, I don't exactly know which route I'll go though, any suggestions?

Wiring that will probably be quite the adventure for me as well, but I need to figure out whether putting weight in the bow or in the locker makes much of a difference and whether or not it's necessary, I know I've been recommended to put weight in the bow to help cause the boat definitely needs it, but I'm skeptical as to how I'll have this all come together. I've first got to tackle my battery moving problem..

Also, is this the type of switch you ran for filling and draining your bags? http://www.wakemaker...ast-switch.html

I was also thinking to vent mine, because across the forums no one can come up with a yes or no it's just preference, but I like the option of seeing that when they're full they just drain through the vent and you know, I don't exactly know which route I'll go though, any suggestions?

Yes, that's the switch I used. I had a shop move my battery. Wasn't cheap though I am glad I had it done. My locker was plumbed already (think that started with 1999 VLX's). The locker bag is good for wakeboarding, but I actually prefer it empty when surfing as long as I have a bag in the bow. Seems to soften the wake a little bit when its filled for surfing. I'd like to plumb bow ballast in, but don't think I can give up the storage up there.

I had the same thought on venting, so I decided to vent. Seems like people say not having a vent works a little bit better in terms of fill/drain time once you get the air out, but I take my bags out a lot to dry, so didn't want to have to repeat that burping process all the time.

I went through a lot of this last year too. My current setup is 750s in the rear, the stock bag in the midship (350?), a 400 bag in the bow on top of the seats, and manual wedge. I usually ride with a very light crew. I think the wakeboarding wake is pretty much maxed out at this point for this hull, and it absolutely throws you. I like the surfing wave, but I think it needs a little more front or midship weight. A bag underneath the port side passenger seats may be the answer like DAC mentioned.

I put the 400s in the rear first, then changed out the port locker one to a 750 for a better surf wave (moved the battery up to the passenger's storage area near the front), decided i didn't have enough weight for wakeboarding and then added a 750 to the starboard rear locker and the 400 to the front. I just wanted the most wake possible out of it for wakeboarding too. I plan on re-propping this year though, the hole shot is too sluggish with all that weight.

If I were to start from scratch, I would use the johnson or jabsco pumps. I have the aerator pump setup and dealt with a lot of siphoning issues. Finally I had to add manual ball valves and check valves to keep the 750s from draining. The anti-siphon loops just won't keep the 750s from draining. As I understand it, the other style of pumps prevent the flow of water when they are off.

The discussion on the wedge....I like it, although I'm not sure it makes a huge difference. Add that last.

Going from the 400s to the 750s does require moving the battery and the long runs of 2/0 battery cable are expensive.

Oh, and with the 750s I put in stiffener plates on the engine divider panels.

I can see the argument that maybe this is a bit excessive, but I rode for like 12 years behind a 17 foot bayliner I/O and just drooled over true wakeboarding machines. So when I got my bu, I was a little surprised that the stock setup wasn't good enough and I wanted more meat on the wake! If my form isn't right now, it never will be. Go big or go home. :)

And i'd like to auto plumb the front bag. I still have the throw it overboard setup for that one. Ive debated going with the integrated front bag for a nice polished setup but i dont think it will be enough weight if put under the seats.

Why run Johnson's if I can run 2 tsunamis for $60? that seems like the better way to go?

- Aerator pumps having priming issues, so you have to usually do some trial and error to get it "right" assuming you get it right at all

- The money you save in pumps gets offset by the extra fittings, elbows, clamps, wiring, etc. you have to purchase to make those Aerator pumps work

- Aerator pumps don't suck the bag dry as well as an impeller pump

- Aerator pumps are a more complicated setup that end up taking more space and offer less flexability for installs

When I first planned my setup I was going to go the Aerator route...then I did my research and quickly changed my mind.

I can see the argument that maybe this is a bit excessive, but I rode for like 12 years behind a 17 foot bayliner I/O and just drooled over true wakeboarding machines. So when I got my bu, I was a little surprised that the stock setup wasn't good enough and I wanted more meat on the wake! If my form isn't right now, it never will be. Go big or go home. :)

Thanks for sharing your setup with me! I think that's around what I want to mimic! I'm just happy that the SV23 Wake Hull doesn't need even more to sink it, it's already designed to throw a bigger wake, that's just pretty sweet. You really don't think that the wedge helps that much? I've heard that it steepens the wake and makes it better for surfing? You don't see it affect the wake that much?

When I first planned my setup I was going to go the Aerator route...then I did my research and quickly changed my mind.

I have gone on reading about how nice the self-priming pumps are, and it really has got me thinking I might as well get the jabsco or johnson pumps since we all know they perform.

Im glad i have the wedge on my boat and tend to use it, i just think it has diminishing returns when you start to run a lot of weight. Its a preference thing, so maybe iust add it last.