Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Carpet Glue And Battery Box

Murphy8166

I have a battery box that I am wanting to cover with carpet. I have used contact cement in the past and wanted to see if there is anything else that may be a little bit stronger.

I can either brush it on or put in in my sprayer.

Contact glue out of a spray can will not be strong enough. Use the thicker roll-on/brush-on type. Roll it on one surface at a time, roll/rub it down with pressure and let it mostly cure before applying the next fold. This avoids the carpet wanting to lift up around corners where it is under stress. A nice corner radius really helps with a thick rubber-backed mariner grade carpet that is less compliant. It's also handy to have a small brush for edge surfaces. You can apply two coats of contact cement by allowing the first coat to fully dry before applying the final coat. Use only a solvent-based contact cement for strength and resistance to humidity. Have good ventilation and definitely use a mask. Nasty stuff.

David

Yes to the question

The solvent in the second coat will reactivate the first .

Same glue for waterproofing products

One coat on substrate let dry

Second coat on substrate let dry

Place material on substrate pull back half way

apply glue let dry to point where it pulls strings with your finger

Press into glue

Repeat on other side

Roll with roller to set

Heat can be used to really set edges

I get it in 5 gallon containers

Edited by my malibu

How is the install going

I'm stuck waiting for some warmer weather to resin the speaker box

It's snowing today !

Edited by my malibu

Murphy,

Yes to your question. It re-activates. Two coats come into play if you are applying a thinner spray grade, or you are dealing with a porous backing that absorbs the glue and you need a thicker application, or you need a thicker application without the extra glue bleeding through a porous carpet thereby contaminating the exterior.

David

How is the install going

I'm stuck waiting for some warmer weather to resin the speaker box

It's snowing today !

I am just building a battery box....since my opitmas finally kicked the bucket. It was 80 degress yestreday and I was able to get the first boat of epoxy resin on the box after work. it was dry to the touch this morning. Going to go home and put another coat with black tint on this evening.

Probably will let it fully cure over the next couple days before hitting it with the glue.

Here is a picture of the box prior to the edges be rounded over and any resin.

box.jpg

That looks awful tight! Are the batteries going to fit after you add all the resin?

There is space in there...about a 1/4" I am using a Low Vis Epoxy resin and doing two coats. Should not not be an issue.

There is space in there...about a 1/4" I am using a Low Vis Epoxy resin and doing two coats. Should not not be an issue.

Ok from the picture it looked tight. didnt want you to get done and say " OH CRAP!"

Isn't there always an oh crap in every project. :thumbup:

Try fiberglassing the speaker box in the house and having the wife come home before its dry enough to move it

Oh crap :innocent:

Try fiberglassing the speaker box in the house and having the wife come home before its dry enough to move it

Oh crap :innocent:

I heard enough about doing glass stuff in the garage.... I'd be looking for a new place to live if I'd have brought the glass in the house!

I heard enough about doing glass stuff in the garage.... I'd be looking for a new place to live if I'd have brought the glass in the house!

Love to hate it here in wa

It was snowing so garage was out of the question.