Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Another Towing Tread

LJboater

if he is looking at a 2012, SR5 4x4 new... say medium options(tow package, cloth seats, 4 door, power windows and locks)....he be lucky to get out at less than $35k.

I third this opinion. 2010 SR5 Crewmax and the mountain roads in Idaho are no match for the 5.7 even in cruise!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• martinarcher

• jetskipro550

• LJboater

• wakesetter8796

if he is looking at a 2012, SR5 4x4 new... say medium options(tow package, cloth seats, 4 door, power windows and locks)....he be lucky to get out at less than $35k.

This is closer to the going price in my area. I couldn't find a 4x4 crewmax sr5 less then 38k last year (in my area) - the double cab is in the low 30s. I ended up with a similar optioned Dodge crew 4x4 (I have always owned toyota's) for a lot less money. The dodge has been a great truck so far.

I'm a Toyota Convert - didn't like the idea of towing at the top of the range on the 4 runner, didn't like the price of the Sequoia - settled on an 11' tundra with the short box and 4 doors - put on a hard cover over the bed for gear storage - we went with the Limited pretty much loaded, the back up cam makes hitching up a piece of cake... now I have a pickup as well that I didn't have before

Your 06 V8 4-runner is rated to 7000lbs, the newest 4-runners are only rated to 5000 lbs. The VLX with trailer should weigh between 5500 and 6000lbs max depending on gear. So while your 4-runner won't have loads of excess power, it will tow it just fine. A friend has a 2008 V8 4-runner and it does a great job towing his 5200lb boat. Obviously a 3/4 ton diesel would tow better, but the V8 4-runner will handle a VLX no problem. I have a 2007 V8 4-runner and plan on towing with mine as well.

wow there is alot of toyota fans on here i am a gm fan myself..... probably because im a gm tech at a dealer i like any of the gm trucks with a six speed you cant go wrong. but your 4runner should be fine but its always

better to have more power and brakes it makes driving much more relaxing my .02

Yea bring on the Toyota fans. I am also a former Toyota tech. Just put spark plugs in the 4runner and it was like skipping threw the flowers on summer day. :)

I'm going to do the brakes and rear shocks and see how it does with the boat. I take delivery on April 16. If it makes me nervous I will upgrade to a Sequoia.

I'll throw in another vote for the Tundra. I have a 2010 CrewMax with the 5.7 and love it! Came from a Tacoma with the 4.0 V6 and it barely got the job done for my vRide.

DSC_0542.jpg

Touareg, 7700lbs. People prefer 2008 with V8 and air suspension. I'd prefer a tundra, but only when towing...

Touareg V10 TDI!!!! 553 foot lbs of torque! 553!!!! Available at 1500 rpm. Incredible towing machine, reliability sucks though.

Get a used V10 Touareg!

I'll throw in another vote for the Tundra. I have a 2010 CrewMax with the 5.7 and love it! Came from a Tacoma with the 4.0 V6 and it barely got the job done for my vRide.

DSC_0542.jpg

Nice looking truck!

What size tires are those? Mine has the stock 255/70/18's and they are too small. I'm already starting to look at some replacement A/T's in 275/70/18 or maybe even a little bigger. I just want something to fill the wheel well out more.

Edited by jetskipro550

I'm a Toyota Convert - didn't like the idea of towing at the top of the range on the 4 runner, didn't like the price of the Sequoia - settled on an 11' tundra with the short box and 4 doors - put on a hard cover over the bed for gear storage - we went with the Limited pretty much loaded, the back up cam makes hitching up a piece of cake... now I have a pickup as well that I didn't have before

Funny I went the same. Roll back hard cover for the bed. I went with the grade, but found the limited wheels and mirrors on craigslist for $300. Guy was going for the black look on his rig. Couldn't pass it up. Also, put on a new grill. It's like a stealth limited, but really just a grade/SR5 4X4, backup camera is nice!

Can't believe no one has mentioned the tahoe or Yukon yet. True trucks that are very good towing machines. The Japanese do a lot of things well, namely making fuel efficient CARS. Trucks are not their forte, go American for full size trucks and SUVs!

Can't believe no one has mentioned the tahoe or Yukon yet. True trucks that are very good towing machines. The Japanese do a lot of things well, namely making fuel efficient CARS. Trucks are not their forte, go American for full size trucks and SUVs!

YA YA Bla Bla :)

martinarcher

How was the stopping power on the Taco with the vRide behind it? I'm pretty seriously considering a 12' Taco Double Cab with the TRD supercharger. We've got a local dealership that will warrant to the powertrain for life - even with the blower added. Biggrin.gif

How was the stopping power on the Taco with the vRide behind it? I'm pretty seriously considering a 12' Taco Double Cab with the TRD supercharger. We've got a local dealership that will warrant to the powertrain for life - even with the blower added. Biggrin.gif

Wait you want to go from the Ford to this.... just seems wrong. ;)

martinarcher

Wait you want to go from the Ford to this.... just seems wrong. ;)

I hear ya! I want a new Ecoboost Ford F150, but I can't get a manual tranny in any of the full size trucks. Blowup.gif It just blows me away that I'm one of the few who still wants to shift his own gears and refuses to buy an auto. The Taco is the best choice for me with a manual tranny. They are great trucks and with my daily drive to work being close to 60 miles round trip the extra fuel mileage of the Taco makes sense if I consolidate to one vehicle. I just want to be sure it's up the job towing the Sunsetter. I think I will be fine.

I hear ya! I want a new Ecoboost Ford F150, but I can't get a manual tranny in any of the full size trucks. Blowup.gif It just blows me away that I'm one of the few who still wants to shift his own gears and refuses to buy an auto. The Taco is the best choice for me with a manual tranny. They are great trucks and with my daily drive to work being close to 60 miles round trip the extra fuel mileage of the Taco makes sense if I consolidate to one vehicle. I just want to be sure it's up the job towing the Sunsetter. I think I will be fine.

Is shifting your own gears just for funsies or do you feel your truck will benefit from you running the gears? I'm just curious.

martinarcher

Is shifting your own gears just for funsies or do you feel your truck will benefit from you running the gears? I'm just curious.

Mostly for fun and driving enjoyment. That's why most great sports cars are manuals. There are other reasons....

1. If the battery dies I can start my truck.

2. If the starter dies I can start my truck.

3. I think modern autos are very reliable, but still can't compete to the reliability of a manual tranny.

4. If I want to hold the engine in a gear I can do so.

Mostly for fun and driving enjoyment. That's why most great sports cars are manuals. There are other reasons....

3. I think modern autos are very reliable, but still can't compete to the reliability of a manual tranny.

1. Can't text and drive

2. Can't eat and drive

3. Requires more effort

:lol:

4. Not sure on the F150s but I know the F250s if placed in "Manual" mode will hold a gear until you run out of gas or push the shift button. I'm not sure on the 150s since my old Avalanche and the VW Touareg will still upshift if you reached the rev limiter. The F250 however holds the gear unless you tell it otherwise.

Nice looking truck!

What size tires are those? Mine has the stock 255/70/18's and they are too small. I'm already starting to look at some replacement A/T's in 275/70/18 or maybe even a little bigger. I just want something to fill the wheel well out more.

Thanks! Those are the stock tires that came with the TRD Rock Warrior package. They're 285/70/17. Love the BFG AT's, I had the same exact tire and size on my Tacoma with a 3" lift.

Stopping power wasn't too bad, but could definitely feel it back there. Our trailer has the surge brakes on it so you could definitely feel when they kicked in and helped out a great deal. There were a couple times when I had to stop fast and remember the boat pushing the little Tacoma around a little, but never felt too unsafe in it! I would never go back to a midsize truck for a boat this size, I just feel so much better pulling it with the Tundra, rather than the Tacoma getting pushed around by it.

I pull with a Tundra 4.0 Litre V-6. When I had my 05 VLX, it was a lot of boat for the V-6. With my current 95 Sunsetter LX its a great combination.

The Tundra is the best of both worlds for me since it's my company/work truck that I drive about 30,000 miles a year. It's got 110k now and I have no intention of retiring it.

I have a 25 lsv. I pulled it last year with a gas 1/2 ton suburban z-71. I recently traded vehicles to a Ford Excursion- 3/4 with a 7.3 diesel. I notice the most difference in acceleration, not braking. My traler brakes were set so that the boat never "pushed" either truck in stopping situations. I did not have any emergency stops, so I can't attest to the difference. I know the X is much better suited to pull and will last much longer, but I was very impressed with the way the suburban pulled it.

martinarcher

1. Can't text and drive

2. Can't eat and drive

3. Requires more effort

:lol:

You must be bad at driving a manual if you can't do #1 and #2. Tease2.gif Just kidding. I eat in the car all the time and the clutch certainly doesn't impede that at all. I hate texting to begin with, but if I have to answer one behind the wheel the stick isn't going to impede that in the least. Whistling.gif

#3 is the reason I want one....driving is supposed to be fun IMO, not boring.

martinarcher

Stopping power wasn't too bad, but could definitely feel it back there. Our trailer has the surge brakes on it so you could definitely feel when they kicked in and helped out a great deal. There were a couple times when I had to stop fast and remember the boat pushing the little Tacoma around a little, but never felt too unsafe in it! I would never go back to a midsize truck for a boat this size, I just feel so much better pulling it with the Tundra, rather than the Tacoma getting pushed around by it.

Cool. Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll be alright towing the Sunsetter. I might be a bit more worried with a bigger V Drive.

Just curious what you 5.7 Litre Tundra guys are getting for mileage during normal use ? My 4.0 Litre gets a solid 18 and I drive pretty conservative. I drive a pretty equal mix of City/Highway.