Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Missing Impeller Blades

I change my impeller every Spring. This usually equates to about 100-150 hours on the impeller. Normally, the impeller I'm replacing looks virtually brand new. This year though one of the blades had broken off. So, I'm just curious, when these blades brake off where do they go? I've heard of older engine's cooling systems getting gunked up with debris such as this. I felt around in the impeller housing but there was no sign of it.

jkendallmsce

I change my impeller every Spring. This usually equates to about 100-150 hours on the impeller. Normally, the impeller I'm replacing looks virtually brand new. This year though one of the blades had broken off. So, I'm just curious, when these blades brake off where do they go? I've heard of older engine's cooling systems getting gunked up with debris such as this. I felt around in the impeller housing but there was no sign of it.

remove the intake water hose at the engine water pump (the hose from the trans cooler running to the water pump) and back flush it. the missing impellor vane should pop right out the hose.

Edited by jkendallmsce

yea it's prolly right before your oil cooler, the vane is to big to go through the tubes on the cooler so it's prolly just sitting right there..

Thanks for the replies. I pulled the hose to the tranny cooler today. I didn't find the missing impeller blade. But, I found a birds nest of debris that I've picked up in the lake over the past 4 years. I guess I've found a new maintenance item to add to my list of chores. I'm sure it's in my owners manual if I read it more thoroughly.

• 3 weeks later...