Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat Lift Install Tips/tricks

dtm8119

MalibuNation

I used to mess around with that forever but recently started hiring someone $250 in, $250 out for roll-a docks, boat lift and jetski lift. Saves my back and my friend's backs. But hey that's just me.

Around here it's $75.00 to just under $200 for lifts.

I've got some photos if someone can let me know how to get them on this thread. (Make it simple) :biggrin:

Simple? E-mail them to me and I'll post 'em! kernaltao at yahoo dot com

Here's a great step-by-step on how to do it: http://www.woodenpropeller.com/Forumpost.html

When you get to step #4, instead of pasting the entire link with the html code into your post, use the "Insert Image" button at the top of the posting (two over from the smiley face), and just use the link address to the picture (i.e. http://www.photobucket.com/woddybc/img.jpg). You can get this link by opening the picture and then copying the link from the address bar at the top of your browser.

I used to mess around with that forever but recently started hiring someone $250 in, $250 out for roll-a docks, boat lift and jetski lift. Saves my back and my friend's backs. But hey that's just me.

This is what we do. $10 a pier section in and out and I believe $75 for the lift.

• 7 years later...

I saw a method to float a boat lift using the boat lift itself and a pontoon boat. They simply drove the pontoon into the lift, ran straps from the cradle (inside the frame and the part that goes up and down for a vertical lift) under the frame sides, and attached the straps to the pontoon. The straps were then snugged and the cable wheel of the lift was then used to lift the cradle as if lifting the pontoon. The result was the boat lift floated under the pontoon as the pontoons pulled on the straps attached to the cradle.

Anyone seen this? Seems so simple but can not find method described on internet.

Don.

Wow, old thread.  I saw another great idea not too long ago. 

Install 4 pulleys at the bottom of the lift, one on the very lowest part of each leg, each on the part of the leg that faces forwards (on the back legs) and rearwards (on the front legs).  On the inside portion of the lift, tie a rope to the cradle.  Run the rope thru the pulley so it comes out on the outside portion of the lift.  Tie a flotation device to the end of the rope outside of the lift (barrel, big block of foam, inner tube, etc.  I think a 55 gal drum is overkill, probably some kind of 30 gal container would work, one on each corner.  Now you are positioned so that when you crank the lift up, as in lifting the boat, it will pull the flotation device down.  If you've managed the rope length properly, when the lift is cranked all the way up the flotation device will be all the way down by the bottom of the legs.  Float lift into place, and then crank to lower the lift into position.  Detach barrels, and simply re-attach them in the fall to remove the lift.

Sounds like the method is what I saw except that no pulleys were installed. They simple ran the rope under the frame  at each corner. Why use pulleys?

For the pulleys at each corner method, is one rope used or four ropes, one at each corner?

Without pulleys method four individual ropes were used, one at each corner running from the cradle under the frame up to the pontoon. I like the pulley idea but then the use of separate floats seems more work than needed. True?

Easiest way is with foam Matt's, and ratchet straps and if u can afford 4pcs of the boat lift level screws Jack wheels, 

Installing roll down ramps onto foam Matt's then float out and drop in place 

Removal use wheel jacks to lift lift out of muck then foam Matt's under carriage run straps to bottom and Lower carriage and ratchet strap until the lift floats up or has reduced weight,  now push/roll lift or use winch, 

20170506_162916.jpg

20181015_185547.jpg

20181015_183402.jpg

20181015_183353.jpg

20181015_194731.jpg

20181015_194238.jpg

Edited by The Hulk
  • Like 1
On 8/16/2019 at 5:55 PM, donwschloesser said:

Sounds like the method is what I saw except that no pulleys were installed. They simple ran the rope under the frame  at each corner. Why use pulleys?

So the rope travels freely and does not rub against a sharp corner

On 8/16/2019 at 6:06 PM, donwschloesser said:

For the pulleys at each corner method, is one rope used or four ropes, one at each corner?

Without pulleys method four individual ropes were used, one at each corner running from the cradle under the frame up to the pontoon. I like the pulley idea but then the use of separate floats seems more work than needed. True?

4 ropes, one at each corner.  I didn't see the whole thing in action, but saw it just after it was out of the water and in it's storage position for the winter.