Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu Customer Service Sucks

mympower

1) never tow a boat with cover on. Can damage the boat.

2) Buy the lightest cover and lightest color. Definitely not black.

3) with all these issues, I would never leave the boat outside with a cover for extended periods of time especially in hot states.

4) before buying a cover, email the Malibu dealer on what cover to use and the buy it from them. If an issue happens, you have documented proof and the dealer will be liable . If he let's you buy black then find a new dealer.

5) when all else fails, use the forums to let everyone know about the issues and eventually people will buy other boats and maybe these vendors will get their act together

I have a 2007 and use a light grey Malibu cover. But i only use cover when in the inside storage. Have 170 hours in hot California sun and no spots. Dealer told me when u use cover in the heat, it causes extreme temps inside and will cause issues.

This should be documented in the user manual and told to everyone buying a boat from them. If not then Malibu and dealer should be liable.

Edited by JoeMama

1) never tow a boat with cover on. Can damage the boat.

2) Buy the lightest cover and lightest color. Definitely not black.

3) with all these issues, I would never leave the boat outside with a cover for extended periods of time especially in hot states.

I sure don't agree with any of this. I tow with my black Rankin cover on all the time & have no damage from it & no discoloring. Plus it sits outside for months & years at a time with no issues from it. Pushing 500 hrs so far. And there are probably 20 other Malibus on our lake alone who do the same thing. I suppose if you baby the boat by storing it inside & not covering it, you definitely have a better chance of not having issues. But I don't think it's a requirement.

My brother had an interior on an 03 XTI replaced under warranty. He was using a factory grey cover in SoCal & had the pink discoloring. They told him it was an issue with the adhesive used reacting with the vinyl. Since the replacement he is not having any problems.

jkendallmsce

Like Ronnie indicated, those that are mad are usually the loudest. And it happens with all brands.

I've had nothing but good experiences with Warren & Co. at Active. But remember that they were the MB dealer at one point. And there are PLENTY of horror stories with the old Malibu dealer in Portland.

Personally I think you yourself are your best & worst service provider for your boat. Learn as much as you can about your boat so that you rely on your dealer a bit less. If a guy knows nothing about his own boat, has all the service done at the dealer, even winterizes the boat thru the dealer, then even the smallest issues can be major. And if the dealer fouls it up in any way, that owner seems to be the one bitchin the loudest.

Best of luck with your buying & service experience.

I agree Bill with the one having the problems are screaming the loudest....but they are usually screaming cause they have lots of money invested into a toy that has a problem and either Malibu and or the dealer is not responding to the customer's needs. Kinda like a baby, put a bottle in their mouth and they'll shut up!! Simple and soo very effective.

THis is a customer oriented industry, and keeping the customer(s) happy has got to be a top priority. Just look at the automotive industry...for decades GM, Ford and Chrysler made junky cars, and low and behold, it bit them in the butt...folks would buy a non US made car, just to avoid dealing with GM and the like. Keep the customer happy, treat him fairly, respond promptly, and the industry will flourish. If not, folks will take their money and find another sport. Particularly any reacrational type industry, where money is spent for entertainment, not out of necessity.

I know first hand having 2 different boats, a 2007 that Malibu took back and the current 2010. Sure there was a transition from CA to TN, but the service I encountered with my new 1998 LX was exponentially better than the current 2010 LXI. The economy, industry, ownership, etc have all changed, but Malibu has got to do a better job to survive. If ya want top dollar for your product, ya got to provide great customer service. and right now Malibu is not.

All ya have to do is look at Tige....started out the same boat, made at the same plant as a Ski Centurion...but Tige's customer service was waaaay better than Ski Centurions. Charlie knew customer service was a priority, just as important as making a great boat. NOw Tige has their own plant and is making some very nice boats...while Ski Centurion is still at the lower end of the ski boat food chain.

Edited by jkendallmsce

Malibu cares what everyone thinks. Sometimes, like during the middle of Great Recession, some priorities may have changed due to personel, location, whatever. And while each situation is in fact different, saying customer service "sucks" isn't quite a fair representation for how Malibu has behaved across the board. I don't think anyone can conclude that Malibu's customer service "sucks" when a few issues arise on this board. Does that mean OP should be happy, no, but Malibu does provide great customer service and has been running at full production all year. They're doing something right.

I sure don't agree with any of this. I tow with my black Rankin cover on all the time & have no damage from it & no discoloring. Plus it sits outside for months & years at a time with no issues from it. Pushing 500 hrs so far. And there are probably 20 other Malibus on our lake alone who do the same thing. I suppose if you baby the boat by storing it inside & not covering it, you definitely have a better chance of not having issues. But I don't think it's a requirement.

Tow a newer Malibu at highway speeds (65-70mph 3hrs) with the factory cover and this is what you get right here. Yes it was put on properly and tight---I actually made the dealer put it on because of my concerns about scratch damages I heard about on here. They assured me Malibu covers are trailerable. Here you go, all the way around the boat. They quickly made it right and buffed all these out. It"ll look like your gunnels were sandpapered all around.

7396566816_3b474bcd65_z.jpg

Tow a newer Malibu at highway speeds (65-70mph 3hrs) with the factory cover and this is what you get right here. Yes it was put on properly and tight---I actually made the dealer put it on because of my concerns about scratch damages I heard about on here. They assured me Malibu covers are trailerable. Here you go, all the way around the boat. They quickly made it right and buffed all these out. It"ll look like your gunnels were sandpapered all around.

7396566816_3b474bcd65_z.jpg

evolution cover won't do that (rankin is the evo's sire)

That blows. Good to hear your dealer was able to figure it out.

It sure seems like the only really "trailerable" cover is the Evo (and it's predecessor, the Rankin). While I haven't seen pics like this before, it seems like there have been others who had issues with the stock covers. My buddy who has a 2011 Vride said he wouldn't do it because the cover has almost no padding over the windshield, and two monstrous metal clasps in the back securing it. If those clasps ever got loose, it would beat the he11 out of the boat

Ya guys I am tracking on the Evolution covers....will be a purchase for me here in the next yr or so. Promise me, I didnt ask for this, was worried about it, but was having to trailer home thru terrible, misty rain weather. i even asked about an underwrap of saran wrap like some folks have used for semi truck shipping.

Like I said before, its all about the reputable dealers we all hear about...THEY are the ones who have a vested interest in a good boating expeience for you and will put action behind to make things right.

right now thinking SURFSETTER, 2013, Waterski America!

jkendallmsce

Malibu cares what everyone thinks. Sometimes, like during the middle of Great Recession, some priorities may have changed due to personel, location, whatever. And while each situation is in fact different, saying customer service "sucks" isn't quite a fair representation for how Malibu has behaved across the board. I don't think anyone can conclude that Malibu's customer service "sucks" when a few issues arise on this board. Does that mean OP should be happy, no, but Malibu does provide great customer service and has been running at full production all year. They're doing something right.

Not sure how you can compare Malibu's customer service to the Great Depression, but It sucks if your $60-80k boat is sitting in the dealership waiting to get fixed or you are waiting on parts to get your boat back on the water, etc. Specially when you only have a few months of the year to use your boat. Maybe if Malibu came up with a free replacement boat while the boat is in the shop??? naw that is just crazy talk!! But if Lexus or Mercedes can do it......

Malibu may be a leader in incorporating new technology into their boats, but how about beta and alpha testing components before they are added to the lineup?? There have been too many problems with electronics conflicting with each other. The JBL MBB unit is a perfect example. My 2010 has had 3-4 units installed, and this week it went beserk again. Completely locked up and was unable to change modes, volume, track, etc. could not even turn it off, I had to remove the tumb drive to get it to stop. Sucks humming smoke on the water for 1/2 the day!!!

And there may be " a few issues arise on this board", just how many do not know about this forum, are bound by non disclosure agreements, etc.?? For every one here, how many others are out there??

Being complacent is what lead to the problems the American car makers experienced. Hopefully Malibu is working equally as hard at improving their customer service as they are on their 2013 lineup.

Not sure how you can compare Malibu's customer service to the Great Depression,

I think he said Recession...... like the one that closed dealer's doors, laid off millions of workers in the boating industry (and every other industry), & caused Malibu to close their California plant & consolidate their company to a leaner & more cost concious company.

I have to agree with you on the electronics of the newest boats.... and I don't expect to ever own one anytime soon because of it. I'd much rather put the money into tried & true equipment I know will work & not give me problems.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky
  • Like 1

Ok, so we keep the current tab up to date:

2012 issues:

1. Blown alternator, barely made it back to the dock.

2. Hardware that secures the dash together came apart.... No locknuts or thread locker?

3. 8 Allen bolts that hold the steering wheel on worked themselves loose, steering wheel about to fall off. No thread locker??

4. MTC freezes up 3-4 times on a full day outing... Wedge, ballast etc all go inop. Have to shutdown and restart the system.

Where is Blake and the other service reps who came on here months ago?

I gotta dig out the pics of me being towed by an Xstar due to QUALiTY failures on a brand new boat. I AM feeling the Malibu difference. Cheers!

jkendallmsce

Ok, so we keep the current tab up to date:

2012 issues:

1. Blown alternator, barely made it back to the dock.

2. Hardware that secures the dash together came apart.... No locknuts or thread locker?

3. 8 Allen bolts that hold the steering wheel on worked themselves loose, steering wheel about to fall off. No thread locker??

4. MTC freezes up 3-4 times on a full day outing... Wedge, ballast etc all go inop. Have to shutdown and restart the system.

Where is Blake and the other service reps who came on here months ago?

I gotta dig out the pics of me being towed by an Xstar due to QUALiTY failures on a brand new boat. I AM feeling the Malibu difference. Cheers!

Thanks Bill, my ADD must have kicked in!!

Not sure how you can compare Malibu's customer service to the Great Depression, but It sucks if your $60-80k boat is sitting in the dealership waiting to get fixed or you are waiting on parts to get your boat back on the water, etc. Specially when you only have a few months of the year to use your boat. Maybe if Malibu came up with a free replacement boat while the boat is in the shop??? naw that is just crazy talk!! But if Lexus or Mercedes can do it......

Malibu may be a leader in incorporating new technology into their boats, but how about beta and alpha testing components before they are added to the lineup?? There have been too many problems with electronics conflicting with each other. The JBL MBB unit is a perfect example. My 2010 has had 3-4 units installed, and this week it went beserk again. Completely locked up and was unable to change modes, volume, track, etc. could not even turn it off, I had to remove the tumb drive to get it to stop. Sucks humming smoke on the water for 1/2 the day!!!

And there may be " a few issues arise on this board", just how many do not know about this forum, are bound by non disclosure agreements, etc.?? For every one here, how many others are out there??

Being complacent is what lead to the problems the American car makers experienced. Hopefully Malibu is working equally as hard at improving their customer service as they are on their 2013 lineup.

I did say recession as Bill pointed out. They do test components. Is that the same as putting thousands in the field, of course not. Black box is a disaster no doubt. But Malibu dind't make that. Are they stepping up and replacing boxes, yes, is that ideal, no, but these examples are not unique to Malibu. It's a handmade product. Heck the new G23 from nautique, twice the price of new malibus are having reports of cracked hulls and failed trannys already. I see a lot of "examples" of issues on here that aren't even Malibu's responsibility. Alternators? As if the alternators used on a Malibu are of any inferior quality than those in any other boat? They're not. Want to talk quality issues, ask around about new ilmor engines from mastercraft with issues. and by issues, I don't mean the temp goes to 170. I would suggest going to teamtalk and asking but MC doesn't allow that because they don't even let their customers vent or gripe or call MC out on their site. Malibu doesn't put the kabosh on anyone airing issues here, and in fact they are listening. They are not being complacent simply because a selected cutting edge product made by someone else has had issues or failures of products they don't make. Malibu running at full capacity and still the biggest manufacturer. They're making somebody happy apparently. I'm one. Comparing a custom-made boat with Mercedes is not even worth discussing. They are two totally different animals.

btw, anyone with an MTC issue (sound slike Ryan has one) Malibu stepped up and proactively replaced them so even people who didn't have an issue won't. Does that require a trip to dealer, yes. Is that an inconvenience, yes. But, that is, in fact, customer service. That is, in fact, the best that can be done. Will MC proactively be replacing engines? doubtful.

Edited by 85 Barefoot
jkendallmsce

Still having a tough time connecting this topic to the great recession, but hey to each his own. If it makes ya feel warm and fuzzy......

NOt really concerned what MC is doing, or problems they are experiencing. akin to baffling folks with ones BS!! Never said Malibu does not test their components....what I did say they rush said components without adequate testing. ie testing them amoungst Malibu owners and buyers, as they'll be the ones using them and will also be the hardest on them as they'll do stuff to them that Malibu would never anticipate. You can never duplicate what happens out in the field. I have done enough compliance testing and certifications to know.

Focus and stay on script. I am talking about and only concerned with Malibu and their QC issues. And if Malibu is comparing themselves to MC, that again is what the american automakers did decades ago and why their QC went to hell. Comparing yourself to the competition, and saying your better, is not much of claim to fame. Lexus NEVER compares themselves or says they are better than Honda...that would be ludicrous. Ya got to aim higher!

If you don't think that Malibu can improve their component testing before installing them on their boats, and that Malibu can't improve their customer service, then you are oblivious to reality...but hey keep drinking the kool aid!!! I hear the berry flavored stuff is tasty!! Let go of the frisbee!!

And I could care less about the alternator (again focus on the topic, not comparing apples to oranges or kiwis, EVERYONE knows we are not talking about alternators), what I and the other non kool aid drinkers have seen is MAJOR problems with the LS3 overheating, hammerhead issues, wedge, JBL MBB unit, etc. There is NO denying the wedge and JBL MBB items were rushed to production, and in the case of the JBL MBB, replaced rather quickly.

2011 issues:

1. front ballast level gauge went inop. fixed and replaced

2. Major issue with underdash fuse boxes, fuses loose, complete failure, towed in, lost boat for 2 weekends.

3. 1st alternator failure. lost boat for 6 weeks June- July along with tranny issue. I atrribute this long 6 weeks to a terrible local dealer moreso than Malibu. Had it been Chessie or Waterski America, it wouldnt have been that bad. QA/QC failure nevertheless. Brand new $85k boat down for 6 weeks, where's Malibu followup?

4. tranny overheat issue had to be replaced. lost boat for 6 weeks June- July along with alt issue. I atrribute this long 6 weeks to a terrible local dealer moreso than Malibu. Had it been Chessie or Waterski America, it wouldnt have been that bad. QA/QC failure nevertheless. Brand new $85k boat down for 6 weeks, where's Malibu followup?

5. All 4 ballast tanks intermitent inop throughout 1st summer--- loose underdash fuses and connections.

6. Terrible service at a Malibu dealer with the tranny swap-- grounded out the CAN cable during the process due to shoddy work---most systems(ballast, wedge, lights, blower, etc etc inop) the rest of the summer. Local dealer refuses to make it right ot take the boat back to fix the issues, also didnt put the boat back together correctly as far as the fit and finish. Please someone challenge me on this one too and ask for pics like on the boat cover.

7. Stereo intermitent inop throughout summer-- loose underdash remote cable that routes under the deck back to the backbox. QA/QC zip tie?

Anyone including regional service(what a joke) reps who dispute ANY of this, pull my service records, its all there--- except for some Malibu Dealers who doent even do invoices because they arent required to??!!?

There are really 3 things going on here.

1. Serious issues with QA/QC at factory.

2. Complete failure on Malibu to ID major issues like this and make them right, no contact, no calls back, why even send out sruveys asking if you want a call x 2?

3. Malibu's inability to standaridize or incentivize good treatment from dealer to dealer--ie pay decent shop labor rates so dealers wont go into the red doing warranty work?

Now- with all this being said-- full disclosure: initially Chessie Marine and now Waterski America has 100% made all of this right, fixed everything, treated me fairly, and I would buy another Malibu from either of them, and reccomend them both to a friend. THIS is why I say, and will continue to say, its all about the dealer, less about the brand, and certainly not about Malibu. When all the crap was going on with that 3rd dealer, refusing service, shoddy work, and I was $85k into a brand new broke boat, NOTHING from Malibu. Nothing, in fact, their regional service rep reccomendation was to continue to work with that dealer--worst advice. I should have jumped on the 4hr drive down to WSA in Dallas as soon as I moved here. A few issues this summer, yet another trip to Dallas, but the boat is running well and I am racking up the hours and surfing our asses off, thanks to WSA.

Here is my Great Depression Last Summer. Try convincing a wife that a Malibu is worth the money because its the Malibu difference, its gonna be sooo0 great when we get it...and have this happen twice in the first summer brand new, loosing the boat for 6 weeks? And yes, that is a tow line between the boats.

7398376384_44d4cc6f9d_c.jpg

Edited by nyryan2001

Still having a tough time connecting this topic to the great recession, but hey to each his own. If it makes ya feel warm and fuzzy......

NOt really concerned what MC is doing, or problems they are experiencing. akin to baffling folks with ones BS!! Never said Malibu does not test their components....what I did say they rush said components without adequate testing. ie testing them amoungst Malibu owners and buyers, as they'll be the ones using them and will also be the hardest on them as they'll do stuff to them that Malibu would never anticipate. You can never duplicate what happens out in the field. I have done enough compliance testing and certifications to know.

Focus and stay on script. I am talking about and only concerned with Malibu and their QC issues. And if Malibu is comparing themselves to MC, that again is what the american automakers did decades ago and why their QC went to hell. Comparing yourself to the competition, and saying your better, is not much of claim to fame. Lexus NEVER compares themselves or says they are better than Honda...that would be ludicrous. Ya got to aim higher!

If you don't think that Malibu can improve their component testing before installing them on their boats, and that Malibu can't improve their customer service, then you are oblivious to reality...but hey keep drinking the kool aid!!! I hear the berry flavored stuff is tasty!! Let go of the frisbee!!

And I could care less about the alternator (again focus on the topic, not comparing apples to oranges or kiwis, EVERYONE knows we are not talking about alternators), what I and the other non kool aid drinkers have seen is MAJOR problems with the LS3 overheating, hammerhead issues, wedge, JBL MBB unit, etc. There is NO denying the wedge and JBL MBB items were rushed to production, and in the case of the JBL MBB, replaced rather quickly.

It's hard to connect the dots on the Great Recession? When Malibu has to make severe cost-cuts to be able to operate and when resources are understandably directed towards product which makes revenue to pay for customer service folks?

Where in any post that I have made have I made any excuses nor that there is not ever room for improvement? So, what kool-aid am I drinking? The simple bottom line is that these things are handmade and bear no resemblance to a carbureted ski boat which was good enough for the industry for 30 years. Things are different, more complex, and more expensive. Malibu can't run an entire field test of black boxes or MTCs. They can vet the best they can (which they did) and if there's common issues, deal with them, which they do. Pro-actively replacing MTCs is not customer care? And who said we're talking about LS3 overheat? You're the first to mention that and Malibu doesn't even make the engine, you know that.

Ryan, sounds like you had some issues and I'm not saying you should be happy with your boat gone at the dealer's. However you cite "serious" QA and QC issues from factory. Of your list, only "loose connections" are even in the realm of QA or QC. You had a tranny covered under warranty from "overheat"? Any other brand I assure you will consider damage from an overheat condition operator-responsibility. Many of your gripes are dealer-specific it would appear, why is that Malibu's fault?

I have owned and am around every major brand boat. Not one has never had be towed home at some point. I was recently in brand new MC that powered-down inexplicably. It happens and its gonna happen.

Malibu has been perfect for me!!!

2008 model used only in saltwater and is perfect ! never had one engine problem !

so happy i bought a new 2011 last year , perfect , changed mtc ..my dealer had spare and we swapped over .

boat again is saltwater use has not given me 1 problem so happy with malibu and will always buy a malibu...

now for my mate that bought an 2011 new x2 when i bought the malibu ..

dont ask ...surf tab fell apart.....waited 2 months for replacement... rubber mat on rear platform came off,

ballast pumps issues all the time...tower camera problems.. power tower problems..

bilge pump broke.. and this list goes on ... has even been towed in a few times...

And unlike mastercraft that made a 2012 xstar that never came out in 2012 ...

nautique that made 2013 g23 and the hulls crack and transmissions blow...

at least malibu tests a new model before they do all the media hype ...

The mxz has made fools of both mastercraft and nautique !

2011 issues:

1. front ballast level gauge went inop. fixed and replaced

2. Major issue with underdash fuse boxes, fuses loose, complete failure, towed in, lost boat for 2 weekends.

3. 1st alternator failure. lost boat for 6 weeks June- July along with tranny issue. I atrribute this long 6 weeks to a terrible local dealer moreso than Malibu. Had it been Chessie or Waterski America, it wouldnt have been that bad. QA/QC failure nevertheless. Brand new $85k boat down for 6 weeks, where's Malibu followup?

4. tranny overheat issue had to be replaced. lost boat for 6 weeks June- July along with alt issue. I atrribute this long 6 weeks to a terrible local dealer moreso than Malibu. Had it been Chessie or Waterski America, it wouldnt have been that bad. QA/QC failure nevertheless. Brand new $85k boat down for 6 weeks, where's Malibu followup?

5. All 4 ballast tanks intermitent inop throughout 1st summer--- loose underdash fuses and connections.

6. Terrible service at a Malibu dealer with the tranny swap-- grounded out the CAN cable during the process due to shoddy work---most systems(ballast, wedge, lights, blower, etc etc inop) the rest of the summer. Local dealer refuses to make it right ot take the boat back to fix the issues, also didnt put the boat back together correctly as far as the fit and finish. Please someone challenge me on this one too and ask for pics like on the boat cover.

7. Stereo intermitent inop throughout summer-- loose underdash remote cable that routes under the deck back to the backbox. QA/QC zip tie?

Anyone including regional service(what a joke) reps who dispute ANY of this, pull my service records, its all there--- except for some Malibu Dealers who doent even do invoices because they arent required to??!!?

There are really 3 things going on here.

1. Serious issues with QA/QC at factory.

2. Complete failure on Malibu to ID major issues like this and make them right, no contact, no calls back, why even send out sruveys asking if you want a call x 2?

3. Malibu's inability to standaridize or incentivize good treatment from dealer to dealer--ie pay decent shop labor rates so dealers wont go into the red doing warranty work?

Now- with all this being said-- full disclosure: initially Chessie Marine and now Waterski America has 100% made all of this right, fixed everything, treated me fairly, and I would buy another Malibu from either of them, and reccomend them both to a friend. THIS is why I say, and will continue to say, its all about the dealer, less about the brand, and certainly not about Malibu. When all the crap was going on with that 3rd dealer, refusing service, shoddy work, and I was $85k into a brand new broke boat, NOTHING from Malibu. Nothing, in fact, their regional service rep reccomendation was to continue to work with that dealer--worst advice. I should have jumped on the 4hr drive down to WSA in Dallas as soon as I moved here. A few issues this summer, yet another trip to Dallas, but the boat is running well and I am racking up the hours and surfing our asses off, thanks to WSA.

Here is my Great Depression Last Summer. Try convincing a wife that a Malibu is worth the money because its the Malibu difference, its gonna be sooo0 great when we get it...and have this happen twice in the first summer brand new, loosing the boat for 6 weeks? And yes, that is a tow line between the boats.

This is why "Made In America" means less and less every day. Heck, it's HAND made on many of the parts. We can make it, watch it break and pawn the repair burden off on the customer and the dealer network. If I lost 6 weeks with my brand new boat, which is HALF our season here they would have a lemon lawsuit pending with that picture of the MC towing my new boat on the cover of the suit.

I think the market cap of Yelp is proof that complaining about stuff in forums actually helps vendors get better and getting closer to customer experiences.

I agree with Brandi that it is a dealer issue, but you should expect to treated with courtesy by the factory personnel. Any problem with your boat should be addressed by your dealer, and only if your dealer fails to address your problems should you start calling the factory. Maybe your dealer is not handling the problem to your satisfaction, it is hard to tell from your original post.

If people put crap on my facebook page that I didn't want on there I would delete it too.

Additionally posting on forums that the factory service sucks will not gain you factory support.

I think the market cap of Yelp is proof that complaining about stuff in forums actually helps vendors get better and getting closer to customer experiences.

I agree with Brandi that it is a dealer issue, but you should expect to treated with courtesy by the factory personnel. Any problem with your boat should be addressed by your dealer, and only if your dealer fails to address your problems should you start calling the factory. Maybe your dealer is not handling the problem to your satisfaction, it is hard to tell from your original post.

If people put crap on my facebook page that I didn't want on there I would delete it too.

Additionally posting on forums that the factory service sucks will not gain you factory support.

If I owned a company and I read the post, I would contact the person ASAP and make them feel that customer support was awesome. And then they would repost stating they are happy with support.

Last points on this am I promise to shutup.....

boat loaner program?? -- Chessie Marine in MD has one. You buy a new boat from them and it goes down for extended periods they do give you a (used) wakeboat loaner to hold you over. Again the Dealer, not Malibu.

I dont expect the boats to be perfect by any means... but I do expect the company to stand behind their products, I got left in the cold last summer by a substandard local dealer, the Malibu regional rep and the head of Malibu Customer Service. There is no doubt about that part, they just wanted me to go away, time me out, made NO effort to make right. Another local Dealer. WSA made things right, and they didnt even have to.

As I see it, everything from loose bolts, loose fuses, connections, trannys overheat, and x 2 failed alternators are QA/QC. Its 2012, just about everyone knows that there are really 3 ways to properly fasten bolts: locknut, lock washer or/with Locktite to specific torque wrench specs. 1 drop locktite 10 second .02 cent task. Neglect this and stuff falls apart(dash, steering wheel anyone?). Wire connections should not rely on the friction of the connector to stay together, again, its 2012 now and we are talking BOATS, loop the wire, zip tie the loop so the tension is not on the connector and it stays connected forever, 10 second, .02 cent task.

Furthermore, allowing some dealers to do shoddy work is a customer service QA/QC problem also because they nickel and dime dealers on shop/labor rates and job completion times. Mostly, I am disappointed with Malibu in the way it went with that other dealer and how I lost 6 weeks, not as much as the specific issues I went thru with the boat, I can work with a good dealer on those. But leave me in the cold? Now we have issues, nothing unreasonable about that.

I am not trashing Malibu, they are awesome boats. Gorgeous design. My 247 here locally is known as the heart breaker...that is of the 4-5 local $90k+ Xstar owners who wish they had a wake like mine. I have a waist high 15-20ft long rideable ropeless surfwake no other boat can produce. I'm just making the point that the love affair many of you think you have is actually with your dealers....not Malibu. Move away from where you are with a new boat, with problems.... to a Podunk dealer and see if you feel the love....good luck with that Customer Service, just wait, they are looking in to it and will return your call soon.

Last point: If you are Military like me, or in a job where you are forced to relocate, and have no control over it, BEWARE. You will likely feel the love at the dealer you bought from (again dealer), and you may be lucky to move near one of these great dealers across the nation we hear about great service over and over again...... but you also stand the chance of being reassigned near a local dealer that has NO incentive or intent whatsoever to take care of you--- and don’t think for a second that Malibu will make them or work thru it with you. The fact that you own a new Malibu(unless you get one of these perfect Malibus I’ve heard about) under warranty means nothing. That is a fact, and THAT has been my experience. The bad part is, I got a $500 discount and they did up a story for a press release on my family for the Malibu military program. Keep the $500 Malibu, and take a good look your customer service managers, and regional reps, and the guidance they operate under.

Its all about the dealers...find a good one, and give them your business. I'll be out on the lake surfing this weekend and the rest of the summer if anyone is in this neck of the woods.

This is why "Made In America" means less and less every day. Heck, it's HAND made on many of the parts. We can make it, watch it break and pawn the repair burden off on the customer and the dealer network. If I lost 6 weeks with my brand new boat, which is HALF our season here they would have a lemon lawsuit pending with that picture of the MC towing my new boat on the cover of the suit.

The point is, as unfortunate as it may have been for ryan, IMO Malibu didn't do anything wrong causing him to be boatless. His dealer, maybe. His dealer's training, maybe. What's Malibu supposed to do, tell a dealer stop working on other customers' boats and work on this one? they can't do that. Furthermore Malibu does incentivize dealers getting factory trained. If Ryan went to one that wasn't that stinks. These are one-off complicated parts. There will be failures. Anyone who doesn't want to risk that is free to get a used ski nautique from the 80s or a simpler boat like an axis (I did).

Edited by 85 Barefoot