Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu Customer Service Sucks

mympower

what you don't always see in forums is the the good stuff. I had some problems with my boat over the years and have been treated great by their warranty department, mind you, i don't use a factory cover, its evolution.

edit: reminds me, i have to shoot Blake a job well done email.

Edited by Cervelo

what you don't always see in forums is the the good stuff. I had some problems with my boat over the years and have been treated great by their warranty department, mind you, i don't use a factory cover, its evolution.

edit: reminds me, i have to shoot Blake a job well done email.

THAT's THE GOOD STUFF! Thanks for sharing Cervelo!

Brian is truly a good guy and very helpful. He helped me several years ago when I had a problem with the power steering on my Flightcraft. The power steering was a Mercury product and they would not offer any help. Brian and Malibu stepped up and helped resolve my problem. Malibu has some very good factory support personnel.

BillFooter - Can't take credit for that one Bill... but I bet I know who you are talking about and it would be spot on! Thanks for the "very good factory support personnel" props brother!

Mahalo~

i have had the same issues with my cover and interior as most members have described above. i will say dealers can make or break your malibu experience. Ive been to 3 dealers to get these issues taken care of. first dealer closed within the first year i bought the boat, and 2nd didnt have the customer care i was expecting. i now take it to Etco Marine for all work needed. Last year Malibu replaced most of my interior in the lounge area including the engine cover. Etco took care of me 9 months after my warranty expired. This year Malibu/Etco is taking care of my bow and some other issues with me only having to pay the labor sie of it. For me i am Happy that they have taken care of me so well. It has been a on going issue but has been taking care of :) A good dealer will take you a long way.

i have had the same issues with my cover and interior as most members have described above. i will say dealers can make or break your malibu experience. Ive been to 3 dealers to get these issues taken care of. first dealer closed within the first year i bought the boat, and 2nd didnt have the customer care i was expecting. i now take it to Etco Marine for all work needed. Last year Malibu replaced most of my interior in the lounge area including the engine cover. Etco took care of me 9 months after my warranty expired. This year Malibu/Etco is taking care of my bow and some other issues with me only having to pay the labor sie of it. For me i am Happy that they have taken care of me so well. It has been a on going issue but has been taking care of :)A good dealer will take you a long way.

:plus1: We have a lot of big dealers here in AB..#1 Mastercraft, Moomba, Supra, Tige etc but by far the best is Wizard Lake Marine. Of course they sell Malibu but they look after their customer like a lot of the other dealers dont. Yes they can sell you a shiny new boat but when things go wrong, which they do, will they step up to the plate like Wizard does. Wizard has kept me a Malibu owner despite a few challenges along the way!

• 2 weeks later...

i have had the same issues with my cover and interior as most members have described above. i will say dealers can make or break your malibu experience. Ive been to 3 dealers to get these issues taken care of. first dealer closed within the first year i bought the boat, and 2nd didnt have the customer care i was expecting. i now take it to Etco Marine for all work needed. Last year Malibu replaced most of my interior in the lounge area including the engine cover. Etco took care of me 9 months after my warranty expired. This year Malibu/Etco is taking care of my bow and some other issues with me only having to pay the labor sie of it. For me i am Happy that they have taken care of me so well. It has been a on going issue but has been taking care of :) A good dealer will take you a long way.

Question is...what causes this and will it come back. I have the red/orange sain on my rear vinyl and I'm curiuos if it gets replaced...will it just come back again and should I be woried about other areas not showing now?

My cover bled through in 2006 and they wouldn't do anything about it. I finally threw it in the trash and bought an evolution cover. I wish Malibu listened 6+ years ago..... and they wouldn't be dealing with this. I'll believe more in their customer service when they don't offer the same old black cover.

Question is...what causes this and will it come back. I have the red/orange sain on my rear vinyl and I'm curiuos if it gets replaced...will it just come back again and should I be woried about other areas not showing now?

If I were you, I would be getting a different cover immediately if you have a factory black one and then have the areas stained fixed. There are some good options for replacement covers (evolution, great lakes, ect) and then your problem is solved (assuming the straining is from the cover).

Okay guys, This is my current update. Ive been working with Malibu "Brian and Blake" way cool guys and hopefuly we are getting close to the answer with this whole vinyl issue. Ive attached a pic for the guys that dont know what were talking about. The color change dosnt seem to affect the white vinyl, only the gray. Im gonna try changing to the gray cover and will keep ya posted.

post-16022-0-50634200-1333427088_thumb.j

Mympower I had the exact same thing with my vride and Malibu would not step up and fix it. I've had multiple other issues like the depth not working and the dealer not covering it under warranty and now the coupling between the drive unit and prop shaft sheared all the fasteners except one. I've tried dealing with three different dealers an none so have stepped up. If Malibu REALLY cares I'm not seeing any love.

On top of I was talking with a factory guy at the boat show and all he wanted to do was sell me a new boat.

We use to love this boat but I just don't know anymore

With my MB I had an issue that I tried to get resolved with both my dealer and factory. They both ignored me for months and it never really got resolved. So I know how frustrating that can be

I hope I made the right decision going with Malibu. As a first time Malibu customer with a new boat on order, the stories I'm reading in this thread make me nervous. Fortunately I have great dealer behind me this time in Active Water Sports.

With my MB I had an issue that I tried to get resolved with both my dealer and factory. They both ignored me for months and it never really got resolved. So I know how frustrating that can be I hope I made the right decision going with Malibu. As a first time Malibu customer with a new boat on order, the stories I'm reading in this thread make me nervous. Fortunately I have great dealer behind me this time in Active Water Sports.

You have to remember that there are 1000's of happy Malibu service customers. You see the cranky ones more because they are mad and want to share their pain. The happy ones don't share their experiences so much. All service dealers have a few horror stories, not just a few with Malibu.

With my MB I had an issue that I tried to get resolved with both my dealer and factory. They both ignored me for months and it never really got resolved. So I know how frustrating that can be

I hope I made the right decision going with Malibu. As a first time Malibu customer with a new boat on order, the stories I'm reading in this thread make me nervous. Fortunately I have great dealer behind me this time in Active Water Sports.

Like Ronnie indicated, those that are mad are usually the loudest. And it happens with all brands.

I've had nothing but good experiences with Warren & Co. at Active. But remember that they were the MB dealer at one point. And there are PLENTY of horror stories with the old Malibu dealer in Portland.

Personally I think you yourself are your best & worst service provider for your boat. Learn as much as you can about your boat so that you rely on your dealer a bit less. If a guy knows nothing about his own boat, has all the service done at the dealer, even winterizes the boat thru the dealer, then even the smallest issues can be major. And if the dealer fouls it up in any way, that owner seems to be the one bitchin the loudest.

Best of luck with your buying & service experience.

Okay guys, This is my current update. Ive been working with Malibu "Brian and Blake" way cool guys and hopefuly we are getting close to the answer with this whole vinyl issue. Ive attached a pic for the guys that dont know what were talking about. The color change dosnt seem to affect the white vinyl, only the gray. Im gonna try changing to the gray cover and will keep ya posted.

Yes it will solve the problem. Why do I know that for a fact, well all my interior had to be replaced as it turned a dark purple. Given that I'm constantly traveling in extreme heat and no problems since moving to a gray cover.

I probrably have had more issues than anyone on a brand new Malibu. Malibu as a comany has been 100% unresponsive. Around 6 major maintenence and quality failures depending on how you look at them, and another 10-15 minor issues. I have been towed in off the water twice, and lost my boat for 45 days last summer due to all the issues. Currently my boat is down yet again due to a major issue.

I voiced my issues directly to Malibu customer service and to Blake last OCT, and talked to him directly about my issues. He said he would look into the issues and get back to me. I never heard from Blake or anyone from Malibu since, no surprise there based on all the other circumstances. Filled out numerous surveys, requested contact, again nothing. Malibu has been a HUGE disappointment.

I have had 3 dealers as I had to move from my original location...2 have been truly exceptional..... both Chessie Marine in MD and Water Ski America in Dallas. Its all about the dealers, less about the boat brand , features and price. Its all about the dealers, find a good one and go with them regardless of brand.

Edited by nyryan2001
  • 2 months later...

Regarding the Evolution cover.. I have an 05 VLX and bought a black Evolution cover a couple of years ago. I have this same problem. However, I don't attribute it to the cover. I am more inclined to think it is a heat problem. I have considered selling my black cover and trying a lighter color. Unfortunately my boat is stored outside and gets a lot of sunshine.

I will be surprised if you have less problems with your Malibu than the MB. The MB is a very simple boat, the Malibu has a lot of bells and whistles that are prone to having more issues. Most of my issues with my Malibu have been minor and taken care of quickly because most of them I have just fixed myself. I hope you have a positive experience with Malibu, and as others mentioned your dealer will make a huge difference for you.

Not surprising when an investment group buys a company and starts cutting costs everywhere, even with warranty issues. Not just Malibu, but any company, marine related or not. Pretty sad to say, but it's all about the bottom line

Are the Malibu and Axis covers made by the same company with the same material?

I have a black factory cover and keep it outside. It sure gets hot under there in the middle of summer. I have light grey interior but have had no problems with so far in a year. My cover does have the pole that extends to keep the back of the cover like a tent so water runs off, and this also keeps most of the cover off the sun deck.

2011 VTX with an evolution cover. I have the exact same problem as noted in the first post. It's not the cover in my opinion its the vinyl chemicals leaching up. Calling my dealer and hoping for the best.

2011 VTX with an evolution cover. I have the exact same problem as noted in the first post. It's not the cover in my opinion its the vinyl chemicals leaching up. Calling my dealer and hoping for the best.

I bought a new MXZ and my dealer switched my black for a gray stock cover. It has caused some minor scratches in the gel coat where the side straps are but overall the heat is way way down and the boat is literally in sunlight all day. I am very happy with this cover and the dealership for making it happen so fast. They were very sympathetic with my concerns based solely on what people at MalibuCrew.com had said prior to delivery.

I had issues with my 08vlx but the stains were different. Not orange but more like light streaks in the white sections. Carey had the boat picked up at my house and taken to the factory (30mi) where they replaced the dfective sections. The factory bent over backwards tom us happy. But they never got the stereo to work correctly and i gave up trying.

Hi all - I thought I'd chime in as I had a problem this year with most of seats on my 2012 VLX starting to turn pink. First off I am extremely happy with the response from Malibu and my dealer (AWS in Portland) as they stood behind their product and fully replaced all the effected interior and it now looks good as new.

Here's pics of our boat before it was fixed:

https://www.dropbox....e58h/Lil_Ho33hL

I am not sure this is the same problem as what is detailed in this thread, though I did get a similar story about the cover from the dealer / Malibu. If you Google "pink mold boat" you will find a lot of stories that sound similar to what we were seeing.

Anyway I'd love to know if it really was the cover or not, because I would much rather buy a new cover rather than go through all of this again.

Edited by pkh

It isn't the cover causing this. I ditched the factory cover (mine was gray) and did the same discoloration as all the rest. My new cover is Sunbrella blue color and the vinyl still does it. I have found that by elevating the cover off of he vinyl so that air can circulate, the discoloration is less.

I still believe it is something with the vinyl, the foam, or the glue under it bleeding through.

Edited by bamabonners