Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu Customer Service Sucks

mympower

I agree with Brandi that it is a dealer issue, but you should expect to treated with courtesy by the factory personnel. Any problem with your boat should be addressed by your dealer, and only if your dealer fails to address your problems should you start calling the factory. Maybe your dealer is not handling the problem to your satisfaction, it is hard to tell from your original post.

If people put crap on my facebook page that I didn't want on there I would delete it too.

Additionally posting on forums that the factory service sucks will not gain you factory support.

Edited by BillFooter

Additionally posting on forums that the factory service sucks will not gain you factory support.

This may be true, but it does add to the tally of unsatisfied "factory support".

I'm about to start my own "Malibu Customer Service Sucks" thread because of an issue I'm having. I have been patient about this until now (started last fall). At that point I won't care about "factory support" because they don't seem to want to "own up" anyways. I've seen quite a few legitimate complaints that Malibu doesn't want to "own up" to.

Had a vinyl problem on '05 Vride, except it was a tan cover that was covered in direct sunlight. The sun pad's white vinyl was becoming discolored by the glue underneath.

Edited by Huelsmma

Minor issues should be dealt with by the dealers. Something that affects multiple products across the company I.e. different models, not just one, then thee manufacturer should step up and give some sort of answer or direction to the dealers on how to address the issue. You figure we spend a lot of money on these things, the least they could do is be courteous to us. Its not like there are a ton of dealerships like cars, where if you are unhappy with one, just go down the road :horse:

I've had a dealer tell me that they only will sell a grey cover due to these issues.

So check this out, my boat is a few months old and my interior vinyl is already starting to turn RED. Ive talked to a bunch of people and they say its due to my black boat cover transfering the color "yeah the cover they gave me with the boat". I talked to my dealer and they have no answers. So when I filled out my customer service survey they stated if I have any problems call my dealer or Malibu. So I just got off the phone with Brandi Thomas over at Malibu and she said its a dealer problem and acted like I was bothering her and hung up the phone. WTF

Does anyone else have this problem w the cover? My boat is stored mostly indoors but when its outside the cover is on it. The Red color that transfers on to the white and gray vinyl does fade over a few days. Any ideas for a great cover company?

Sorry for ranting.

Had a black cover on the last boat and it used to heat up the interior big time in the hot Tennessee sun. It would be so hot, that I would pull the cover off before getting in the boat. The new boat will have a gray cover just for that reason, let alone the staining issue.

I think the key here is to have a good dealer to work with. The dealer needs to step up and press the warranty claim. I would hope Malibu would offer support for anyone experiencing problems with there vinyl. Especially if it is within the warranty period, and being caused by a cover they sell you with the boat.

My dealer sold me a grey cover, just for this reason. They had issues with staining from the hot sun with the factory Malibu cover.

Does anyone know what the factory warranty is on vinyl from Malibu?

Edited by Fman

I think the key here is to have a good dealer to work with. The dealer needs to step up and press the warranty claim. I would hope Malibu would offer support for anyone experiencing problems with there vinyl. Especially if it is within the warranty period, and being caused by a cover they sell you with the boat.

My dealer sold me a grey cover, just for this reason. They had issues with staining from the hot sun with the factory Malibu cover.

Does anyone know what the factory warranty is on vinyl from Malibu?

I agree if the dealer won't press the issue with malibu then malibu won't take the issue seriously. They rely on their dealers to take care of the grey areas. The warranty is 3 years but many on here have been hooked up with help after the warranty period.

I am from Portland, but was traveling last week on business in Santa Clara, CA. On Thursday afternoon I had some time to kill so I went Central Valley Marine in Campbell, CA to check out their inventory of new Bu's. I wanted to see if I could get some design inspiration for my VLX build...

While I was there I noticed all their new Malibus had gray covers on (they were closing up for the night when I got there). I asked the guy about the gray covers. His response was the same as I'm hearing on this and other threads... He told me the factory Malibu cover causes stains on the vinyl. I had never heard such a thing. But now that I'm seeing it here on the forum, there must be something to it.

I am from Portland, but was traveling last week on business in Santa Clara, CA. On Thursday afternoon I had some time to kill so I went Central Valley Marine in Campbell, CA to check out their inventory of new Bu's. I wanted to see if I could get some design inspiration for my VLX build...

While I was there I noticed all their new Malibus had gray covers on (they were closing up for the night when I got there). I asked the guy about the gray covers. His response was the same as I'm hearing on this and other threads... He told me the factory Malibu cover causes stains on the vinyl. I had never heard such a thing. But now that I'm seeing it here on the forum, there must be something to it.

I worked for a dealer up here across several boat brands and the temperatures under those dark covers on a hot sunny day is insane. Personally I'd never order a dark colored cover, they may look nicer but man does that thing cook the boat underneath.

I worked for a dealer up here across several boat brands and the temperatures under those dark covers on a hot sunny day is insane. Personally I'd never order a dark colored cover, they may look nicer but man does that thing cook the boat underneath.

Keeps the bugs out. Or any animals for that matter.

I've never owned a boat in super hot areas like CA, TX or AZ, but cookin the bugs out of the interior is a good thing around here (where day time temps can be up around 90 - 100, night time in the 60s).

Combined with the breathability of Sunbrella, my interior dries out even when it's covered.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

If the vinyl turned red/black like a black & blue bruise on your skin, it's due to the cover actually trapping the heat against the vinyl and overheating it. The vinyl supplier (which is the same for most of the ski boat mfgs) did some tests where they took the vinyl and placed it in an oven for a period of time and recreated the issue. (Something like 300 degrees in the oven) They are calling it "bruising".

The best solution currently is to lay a towel or similar on the vinyl area that the cover may physically touch, such as the back sun pad area. It's not the cover transferring color, it's the vinyl literally "baking" in the trapped heat.

As mentioned by others, I prefer Sunbrella covers for their ability to breathe, but if you live in a warm-hot climate and the boat is covered outside, I would still recommend a towel insert. On the other hand, the CS (Commercial Sewing) covers are the worst. All the Malibu dealers can get sunbrealla covers from Great Lakes, and they are excellent covers.

Peter

So why is it that a couple of hours in the sunlight significantly improves the appearance? Heck, after a long weekend,

it almost completely disappears. And, while sitting out, directly exposed to sunlight, that uncovered vinyl gets pretty

darned hot. Am I to believe that it is heat, without sunlight, that is causing this discoloration, while [maybe a bit less]

heat with sunlight cures it?

BTW, my cover is Sunbrella and, after the fact, of course, I routinely place diaper changing pads between the cover and

the back edge of the vinyl. Seems the discoloration gets pretty bad anyways.

:dontknow:

Edited by srab

I found a solution to mine turning colors. I have the factory grey color cover.

I rigged up two plastic poles that I lay along the back of the boat under the cover before I tighten it down. It keeps the cover off the vinyl and no more color change.

After reading the number dissatisfied customers in two areas, factory customer service and quality of factory covers, I am confused by the responses. We are talking about Malibu boats correct? The same boats that are a premium brand in this class of boats? That cost more than my first house. that is the subject of the thread? Reading this post I thought I was reading about the cable or phone company that has a monopoly on the market. Treating customers in this fashion only gets you one thing and its very predictable, no customers. Yes there are unreasonable customers, but it seems that a real problem exist and the solution to the problem is being pushed back into the customer's lap to solve. Not standing behind the problem is going to hurt your business in the long run. You might save a few dollar today but answer this one simple question.

What is Malibu's profit margin on every boat sold by Mastercraft? .................Zero

Man, just bought mine too...I want a refund :) Not sure it would like right with anything other then a black cover. My local dealer is checking into it so will let them do their thing, but in the meantime take the recommended precautions (towel and or poles). I have the factory webbing system from my old MC XSTAR that I can rig in there I'm sure.

Edited by Viper_007

I found a solution to mine turning colors. I have the factory grey color cover.

I rigged up two plastic poles that I lay along the back of the boat under the cover before I tighten it down. It keeps the cover off the vinyl and no more color change.

I just extend my ski pylon up..... also helps keep it a little tighter and help water off quicker.

I just extend my ski pylon up..... also helps keep it a little tighter and help water off quicker.

After a season and a half w/ the gray cover and traveling in 113+ heat for 2-3 hours I can tell you my gray vinyl has not discolored at all. If it is going to discolor it’ll do it along the gunwale not just the rear doors.

From the casual observer, the customer service has gone downhill since the sale of the company. Yes, the product has gotten better, but the customer service has not been able to keep up. To those protecting Malibu, customers who pay the money they do for a luxury item have the right to voice their opinion and Malibu Crew happens to be the place for customer's voice to be heard.

Oh, I had the same "bleeding" problem so I bought an Evolution cover recently. We love our Malibu and this minor flaw will soon be fixed! Happy boating everyone!

From the casual observer, the customer service has gone downhill since the sale of the company. Yes, the product has gotten better, but the customer service has not been able to keep up. To those protecting Malibu, customers who pay the money they do for a luxury item have the right to voice their opinion and Malibu Crew happens to be the place for customer's voice to be heard.

Oh, I had the same "bleeding" problem so I bought an Evolution cover recently. We love our Malibu and this minor flaw will soon be fixed! Happy boating everyone!

I agree with the customer service problems. However, I might argue with the comment about the product getting better. In terms of value there are other manufactures really starting to step up their game. I saw an MB for the first time in person at the Knoxville boat show and I was really impressed. Full wet sounds system, better gel coat, equal to better fit and finish, 6.0 engine, minus the MTC type electronics, all for 15k less than my VLX. Got me thinking.

I really hope Malibu is listening.

I agree with the customer service problems. However, I might argue with the comment about the product getting better. In terms of value there are other manufactures really starting to step up their game. I saw an MB for the first time in person at the Knoxville boat show and I was really impressed. Full wet sounds system, better gel coat, equal to better fit and finish, 6.0 engine, minus the MTC type electronics, all for 15k less than my VLX. Got me thinking.

I really hope Malibu is listening.

Test drive one, they drive a little different :biggrin:

Edited by skurfer

We Are Listening...

Hello Malibu Crew Members!

First off, an APPRECIATIVE shout-out to the administrators of this board and the thousands of Malibu Crew Members - "THANKS FOR YOUR SUPPORT AND LOVE FOR BOATING!"

At Malibu Boats we take pride in delivering high quality products and services to our customers - THAT ROCK!

If it appears a situation was not handled correctly or to your satisfaction, we want to discuss this matter with you and work to have it resolved.

Please contact the Administrator of ‘The Malibu Crew’ for customer service contact information or call us direct.

We believe in high performance, both in and out of the water!

Stay safe, enjoy the waterways and Thank You, for your honest feedback.

Brian @ MALIBU BOATS

Brian

Great of you to chime in! I had a great discussion with Jack Singer @ the Calgary boat show regarding quality control and customer service. From our discussion I can tell you that it is on the radar of Malibu to step things up in this department. Jack mentioned implementing some quality control measures that have been used in the automotive industry but not yet in the Marine so hopefully this will help eliminate any issues before they get to the customer. I am glad to see you have joined the crew and customer service and quality control is a priority with Malibu. There has been some concern with some owners/ crew members that the customer is not treated in the same manner as they once were with Malibu. Some feel that the purchase of Malibu by the investment firm has something to do with it.

Back in the day you use to be able to call Malibu and get tech support or discuss any issues you had. I understand this service is no longer available and Malibu wants you to deal direct with your dealer. I made a call myself a year or so ago and was turned away by Malibu. Is this changing back to the "old way"?

I have had some issues with my boat but I do have a good dealer that works with the customer and in order to get attention of Malibu a good dealer is important.

We Are Listening...

Hello Malibu Crew Members!

First off, an APPRECIATIVE shout-out to the administrators of this board and the thousands of Malibu Crew Members - "THANKS FOR YOUR SUPPORT AND LOVE FOR BOATING!"

At Malibu Boats we take pride in delivering high quality products and services to our customers - THAT ROCK!

If it appears a situation was not handled correctly or to your satisfaction, we want to discuss this matter with you and work to have it resolved.

Please contact the Administrator of ‘The Malibu Crew’ for customer service contact information or call us direct.

We believe in high performance, both in and out of the water!

Stay safe, enjoy the waterways and Thank You, for your honest feedback.

Brian @ MALIBU BOATS

Edited by old skool malibu

Thanks Old Skool Malibu!

Jack Springer cares about customer service, he cares about people. I'm sure there is all kinds of wood chucks in the rumor mill.

I could rant and rave about the "improvements" or "the new BU", but I will let our actions speak as we move along in 2012.

I can tell you this, I have worked along side of Jack in a previous life and I am excited for ALL Malibu fans past, present and future!

Our goal is to make the best damn performance boats possible and build on the Malibu brand by going beyond expectations.

The BEST is yet to come...