Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Pro 80 Amp Dilemma

topshelfbv

topshelffbv,

shawndoggy made a couple of good recommendations.

You just cannot take a shortcut in amplification to run four large HLCDs like you could in any number of other areas. Its a major workload to drive at wake range and it can be under some adverse thermal conditions once you get into the summer months.

David

David and Murphy are dead on. I just added a Syn2 to my system a few months ago and,,,WOW. Powering 4 Pro60's, they came alive,way more dynamic,crystal clear,just adjust gain conservative (take time to get it dailed in correct) and crossover around 110,maybe 100 for the 80's. Well worth every penny.

Side note,, David at Earmark is a fantstic guy who supports this site members and has helped me out as recently as today. Great knowledge and application skills and really listens to what the customer wants and adapts his recommendations to that person,situation ect... We have a great resource in him and his company. Earmark deserves our support,he,they have earned it. ( IMHO)

Well now I am a little off in my thinking? I was under the assumption that I needed a 4 channel amp? I have 4 speakers 8 wires(4hot, and 4 neg) how would I connect it? There is usually only 2 hot and 2 neg terminals on a 2 channel amp right?

You will connect both speakers on each side of tower together so the amp sees a 2 ohm load and that will give ya 175w per speaker.(Just connect wires at finish point near amp and solder singel set of wire to amp so wires will fit in terminals on amp) Best way to maximize the amp potential and these WS amps are stable and run cool at that level easily. I have same set up and it flat rocks. My "neighbor" down the road about 1/3mi can sing to my music when I have it cranked, he loves classic rock so it's all good. You will not regret it.

Ok here's another question . I can get my wiring for free at work but it will be solid conductor as opposed to multi stranded. Will that work or does any one out there know of a reason why it shouldn't be used?

Stranded wire has more surface area per the same gauge wire and the skin effect is said to improve high frequency transmission since higher frequencies are conducted near the wire surface.

Stranded wire is more flexible for routing and has less fatigue from sharp bends. The flexibility also places less stress on the connection points in usage where there is more shock and vibration.

David