Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Where To Find True 1 1/4'' Od Barbed Elbows

wakeboarder3780

Hey guys, running into a snag here and getting a bit frustrated. I want to install my flush kit on the intake side (starboard). In other words I want to install the flush kit immediately after the through hull inlet. I am really struggling trying to find a barbed elbow that is truly 1 1/4'' OD. My flush kit I bought is perfect and fits perfectly within my marine coil hose. I bought some pvc 1 1/4'' elbows and come to find out they're nearly 1 1/2'' OD. Has anyone done this install? Why did you use? What type of material is the elbow made out of (little nervous about using pvc, copper, brass, bronze)? Most importantly where did you buy it?

I think I'm going to call bakes on monday to see if they have anything. But I've sure talked to a couple knuckleheads that don't know anything more than me (yes I'm a knucklehead too :)) at the hardware stores and getting sick of it. Shouldn't be so hard to find a fitting that has a true OD measurement...

Good guesses Pete. That first link might work. The second one looks quite similar to what I got from the local hardware store.

Problem is without tape measuring either of these (or better yet a caliper) I have no way of knowing how true they stay to 1 1/4 (without buying to try).

IMG_1030.jpg

Yes, I did zero out the calipher before measuring it.

And,

yes, I am the type of guy who leaves his calipher jaws slightly open during storage to account for thermal expansion and contraction.

Now,

since I mistakenly "disconnected" my E drive from my computer when I was trying to disconnect the camera from the computer, how do I get my E drive back? The CD drive?

Pete this is greatly helpful. Is there any way I could talk you into taking two more measurements? From the picture you have now if you rotated the caliper 90 degrees so the teeth pointed down, and measure across the barbed opening what does it read? The barbs are what made the measurement much more than 1.25'' for my fittings. Also would you be kind enough to measure the OD of the threaded end as well? Is that also 1.25''? If so, this is exactly what I'm looking for and I'll pick a couple up for sure.

As for your computer problem, I am not allowed to "disconnect" my cd drive (unless I open my computer and literally disconnect the e-sata / IDE cable). Here's a picture (windows 7):

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg703/scaled.php?server=703&filename=80506700.png&res=medium

Edited by wakeboarder3780

Because when I pump antifreeze through the line I want to have it go through the v-drive cooler. I know you pull off hoses and let it drain. When I winterize I don't want to have to pull a single hose. I want to drain the block, hook up my bucket of antifreeze to the flush kit and let er rip. I'm not sure why others don't want it on the side I'm putting it.

Because when I pump antifreeze through the line I want to have it go through the v-drive cooler. I know you pull off hoses and let it drain. When I winterize I don't want to have to pull a single hose. I want to drain the block, hook up my bucket of antifreeze to the flush kit and let er rip. I'm not sure why others don't want it on the side I'm putting it.

I didn't put mine there because it was too tight. I did get it in before the v drive on the new boat. You aren't worried about the water in the hose and vdrive that you'll be pushing into the engine?

I'm not sure if I fully understand your question. But when I winterize I drain the block and manifolds to minimize the water in the system. Then I pump 10 gallons of antifreeze through the engine until I see *CONCENTRATED* pink coming out the back. When pink starts coming out the back I still let an additional 2-3 gallons run through. If I took your question correctly, you were concerned about the dilution of the antifreeze yes? I make sure to run enough through that there is no way in heck I could get screwed by the antifreeze becoming diluted. Do you feel there is still a chance of the antifreeze becoming diluted with this method?

No idea whether that would work or not. Too many variables. Does the engine get to temp in the time it takes to pump 10 gallons (i.e. is the thermostat open or closed)? I'm paranoid, so I drain everything (hoses too) before using any antifreeze.

Have you thought about using a thumbscrew hose clamp on the big water hose out of the vdrive so it's quick to remove? Seems to me that it'd be faster to loosen that hose that to wait for 10g of antifreeze to pump through.

Pete this is greatly helpful. Is there any way I could talk you into taking two more measurements? From the picture you have now if you rotated the caliper 90 degrees so the teeth pointed down, and measure across the barbed opening what does it read? The barbs are what made the measurement much more than 1.25'' for my fittings. Also would you be kind enough to measure the OD of the threaded end as well? Is that also 1.25''? If so, this is exactly what I'm looking for and I'll pick a couple up for sure.

As for your computer problem, I am not allowed to "disconnect" my cd drive (unless I open my computer and literally disconnect the e-sata / IDE cable). Here's a picture (windows 7):

http://desmond.image....png&res=medium

If you can wait until Tues, I can do it.

Oh, and I got my CD drive back on board by pulling it out of my laptop, throwing it on the ground, and re-installing it. It seems to work perfect now.

Edited by Pistol Pete

Pete I will more than happily wait until Tuesday and I thank you kindly for your help. Not many people would be willing to run out to their garage and measure a fitting "just in case" it helps someone else out. Very helpful of you.

SD, I pull the t-stat prior to doing what I listed above so it's not a concern.

Pete hopefully I catch you in time to save you the hassle but I spoke with Andrew yesterday at Bakes and he even got back to me *same day* with answers on what I need. He was able to dry fit those fittings you linked into the hose both ways. He suggested using a silicone sealant that they have (forget the name) for the threaded end to ensure a tight seal.

If you went and measured before I caught you sorry! You were extremely helpful to getting me the parts I need though. If it weren't for you linking that part I wouldn't have talked to bakes.

Having finally worked directly with someone at bakes and placing my first real order where I actually talked to someone, I have to whole heartedly agreed with everything I've heard about bakes so far. Great / fast service. I hope they're in business forever and I'll do my best to support them whenever I need parts.

:clap:

Edited by wakeboarder3780

Pete I will more than happily wait until Tuesday and I thank you kindly for your help. Not many people would be willing to run out to their garage and measure a fitting "just in case" it helps someone else out. Very helpful of you.

No worries.

I'm glad to help anyone on the crew if I can.

And, :plus1: for Bakes.