Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Windshield Frame Question

Backfooter100

I was wondering if the 2012 windshield frames that are black powder coated or painted (I don't know which they are) are still having an issue with peeling, specifically on the Response CB/LX ?

I was wondering if the 2012 windshield frames that are black powder coated or painted (I don't know which they are) are still having an issue with peeling, specifically on the Response CB/LX ?

I have an older one. What year do you have and what brand windshield ? Mine was made by Taylor. I was not aware of problems. Doug

I have an older one. What year do you have and what brand windshield ? Mine was made by Taylor. I was not aware of problems. Doug

On my 2001 Response CB, the windshield frame starting peeling right away, I have just ordered a 2012 CB response and was hoping that Malibu has this problem fixed, the windshield on the Response CB/LX is still the same style as it was 10 years ago, I just don't know if they changed how they are painting the frames or if they are now powder coating them or if they are using a different vender

Maybe someone else can chime in with more info than I have.

I believe my 01 had a Taylor made windshield (not 100% sure) I just know I was not happy with the issue, I tried the nail polish fix, the sharpie magic marker fix , but they were both band aid fixes.

The right way would have been to remove the windshield and have it stripped and powder coated (in my opinion).

I had thought about stripping the paint down to the bare aluminum and then polish with "mothers' mag polish, but honestly after paying good money for the boat, I felt it should have been taken care of by the dealer or factory(it started happening in the 2nd year I had the boat, just a little bit , but by the 3rd season it was pretty bad.

It's just when you spend as much money as we do on these boats, you would expect things like this to be taken care of.

Anyway it is good to hear that they are now powder coating the frames so this hopefully will not be an issue anymore.

I will keep you posted as I put time on the new boat....... :footing:

They are post powder coated now and should hold up much better. That said, I have not had problems with my 99.

My 99 Response LX windshield paint went to crap in the first 5 years. I called several folks at malibu about this obvious defect, and I was told to jump in a lake.

- Interestingly, the top bar is painted.

- the "verticle bars" (trim) in the windshied are black anodized, and they held up.

the issue appears chemical resistance. It fell apart worst where people touched it (oil, suntan lotion, etc.)

Fortunately, it is pretty minor to unbolt the top bar (leaving the rest of the windshield) and strip and repaint the top bar. I used "automotive" primer and black paint in the back yard. Came out great.

I believe my 01 had a Taylor made windshield (not 100% sure) I just know I was not happy with the issue, I tried the nail polish fix, the sharpie magic marker fix , but they were both band aid fixes.

The right way would have been to remove the windshield and have it stripped and powder coated (in my opinion).

I had thought about stripping the paint down to the bare aluminum and then polish with "mothers' mag polish, but honestly after paying good money for the boat, I felt it should have been taken care of by the dealer or factory(it started happening in the 2nd year I had the boat, just a little bit , but by the 3rd season it was pretty bad.

It's just when you spend as much money as we do on these boats, you would expect things like this to be taken care of.

Anyway it is good to hear that they are now powder coating the frames so this hopefully will not be an issue anymore.

I will keep you posted as I put time on the new boat....... :footing:

Same problem on our 01 SS, we took it to our local dealer and they are fixing it for $300. I think they will strip all the paint and start over again.

Same problem on our 01 SS, we took it to our local dealer and they are fixing it for $300. I think they will strip all the paint and start over again.

wakesetter8796

are they repainting your windshield or are they going to powder coat it ?

I think they might be repainting it.

I wonder why they would repaint it, knowing that you could have the same problem.................