Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu Guide Pads For Trailer

PeteOOXXOO

Hi crew. I am new to the crew - new 2012 VTX is due at the end of this week - can't wait :)

Just looking at whether or not to buy some Malibu guide pads for the trailer? Are they worth it ( they look very cool). Can you load the boat with them on or should you take them off?

Thoughts??

Thanks heaps in advance :)

Welcome.gif

One of the first things that you will learn about this site is we like PICTURES! Post some pics of your new Malibu when you can! Congrats on your new VTX.

The trailer pads IMO are pure preference. Of course it says Malibu versus your dealer name make them nice. As far as loading with them, we loaded with them for years, that's what they are for. It won't be an issues.

Hi crew. I am new to the crew - new 2012 VTX is due at the end of this week - can't wait :)

Just looking at whether or not to buy some Malibu guide pads for the trailer? Are they worth it ( they look very cool). Can you load the boat with them on or should you take them off?

Thoughts??

Edited by srintx

Personally, I like them so there's some room for some error when putting the boat on the trailer, whether its really windy, choppy or someone simply isn't experienced. The guide pads really helped my wife when learning this this past season, but they do get a little torn up.

They also help me gauge if the boat is on the trailer straight before leaving the ramp.

Welcome to the Crew!

Thoughts??

I got the 48 inch heavy duty ones off of malibus site for my VTX. I love them. I hated grinding the rub rail against the PVC pipes that came on the trailer. They roll...while the PVC pipe doesn't. Congrats on your new boat! You are gonna love the VTX.

It helps the pads not to tear up as fast if you spray them regularly with 303 Protectorant. Keeps em looking new and helps the slide effect.

One other tip, check all the screw heads in your rub rail. I went thru mine and sanded the heads smoother with green stone in a dremel tool, then fine sanded with a another dremel tool head, now no more snags from the screw heads. Keep a good Teflon wax on rail helps as well to reduce snags and wear on the guide pads. Congrats on the new boat. We love ours

I would not have a trailer without them. I didn't have them for a while on my previous boat and the PVC would end up on the side of the hull and was very hard to remove. All it takes is a little wind or current and those will be "guiding" you boat via the side of the hull. Usually they will contact the side of the hull below the rub rail which is when the side of your boat gets nice PVC pin stripes. The pads will float enough that the guides will always be on the rub rail.

What color are you considering. I have a red 48" set with Malibu on them that I could make you a good deal on.

Thanks folks - appreciate the advice. Looks like a must-have - I will order some today. I had asked the dealer about them but they said not to bother as they would get trashed by the boat as it rolled on ( showed me a set of plastic coated ones that were ripped from just one use). I think the heavy duty foam ones will be the way to go. Hopefully I should have the boat by this weekend ( next one at the latest). As soon as I get her I will work out how to Upload some photos :). Cheers!!

I would not have a trailer without them. I didn't have them for a while on my previous boat and the PVC would end up on the side of the hull and was very hard to remove. All it takes is a little wind or current and those will be "guiding" you boat via the side of the hull. Usually they will contact the side of the hull below the rub rail which is when the side of your boat gets nice PVC pin stripes. The pads will float enough that the guides will always be on the rub rail.

What color are you considering. I have a red 48" set with Malibu on them that I could make you a good deal on.

Cheers mate - thanks anyways, but my new Bu looks almost the same colours as your photo ( except Metallic Silver on the hull main and deck accent). I think black pads will be the way to go :)

Must have. My trailer just had the PVC when I bought it. Wife always puts the boat on the trailer - she would put a plastic streak down the side of the boat every time she put the boat on. Plastic came off easily enough, but I hated that happening. Plus is just looks better having proper covers on there.

I went with the heavy duty Malibu covers that Bakes sells. Still as good as new after a season of use.

Must have. My trailer just had the PVC when I bought it. Wife always puts the boat on the trailer - she would put a plastic streak down the side of the boat every time she put the boat on. Plastic came off easily enough, but I hated that happening. Plus is just looks better having proper covers on there.

I went with the heavy duty Malibu covers that Bakes sells. Still as good as new after a season of use.

Thanks for the update. I spoke with the dealer and he advised that the new trailers have posts where the PVC actually spins - not sure if older ones do? Adding to that he said that the posts are also closer together on the new trailers - which does not leave enough room for the guide pads without damaging them. He said that if I do get them I should remove them from the posts before launching or loading the boat. Might just wait and see when it arrives - only a few more sleeps!! :)

Edited by PeteOOXXOO

Thanks for the update. I spoke with the dealer and he advised that the new trailers have posts where the PVC actually spins - not sure if older ones do? Adding to that he said that the posts are also closer together on the new trailers - which does not leave enough room for the guide pads without damaging them. He said that if I do get them I should remove them from the posts before launching or loading the boat. Might just wait and see when it arrives - only a few more sleeps!! :)

You'll be fine with them on, just get the heavy duty ones that zip-tie onto the bottom of the pole. You might bump into them a little while loading or unloading but it wont be a big deal. Over time they may fade and wear out from the boat brushing up against them.... I know when I pull the boat on the trailer things usually go pretty good.... my wife and son on the otherhand, thats another story! I just keep my fingers crossed! :clap: