Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ws 420 Installation

Hentz

Can someone help me with the installation of the ws 420. I am looking to install tomorrow, but I am not certain where to connect the power wire and remote wires. If anyone has pictures of their set up that would be super helpful. Thanks a lot in advance.

I made a 12v power terminal stripe that has hot from battery to it. Run Red fused wire to it. Also use the common ground bar under dash. Pick up signal (orange wire on 420) to the signal from stereo that turns on amps ect...

Edited by h2ojunkie

I connected mine to the one of the amps. I did put an inline fuse right where I connected it to the amp. No issues with any type of unwanted noise on mine. I read somewhere that twisting the power and ground lines would help eliminate noise. Not sure if that is true but I did braid the power, ground and remote turn on lead wires together.

Hentz - here is some food for thought.

If you want to install your WS 420 the right way....you will want to do this. Since noise is a big issue in these new Malibu boats you will want to get your power and ground for the WS420 from the same spot that you get you power for your amps. That means you would want to run power and ground from the amp rack or the battery bank. If you want the WS 420 to power up and down when you turn the black box on, then you will want to run a remote turn on wire from the black box to the WS 420. You will want to use the fused lead labeled "antenna" on the black box. I would also consider powering your black box from the same place that you power your amps and WS 420.

I went thru this same install last year.

If you want to install your WS 420 the right way....you will want to do this. Since noise is a big issue in these new Malibu boats you will want to get your power and ground for the WS420 from the same spot that you get you power for your amps. That means you would want to run power and ground from the amp rack or the battery bank. If you want the WS 420 to power up and down when you turn the black box on, then you will want to run a remote turn on wire from the black box to the WS 420. You will want to use the fused lead labeled "antenna" on the black box. I would also consider powering your black box from the same place that you power your amps and WS 420.

Thanks a lot. That is a lot of good info.

Thanks a lot. That is a lot of good info.

Just double check the antenna lead. Some power antenna leads go dead when the head-unit is turned to AUX, SAT or CD. This would turn off the EQ.

Did everyone just use a splitter for the RCA coming off the in boat output to the rear/front inputs of the boat speaker amp??

Are you going to use all 4 channels of the amp? Are you running boat interior off 2 channels (front) and the tower of the other 2 channels (Rear)

If so, boat output rca's to that channel, and the tower output rca's to that channel. What amp are you trying to use? Do you have much experience with auto/marine stereo applcations? If not,you can do it yourself but you may want to seek experienced help as you need to adjust gains ect.. for that 420 to work well as it was meant to. Input signals, bass,midrange,treble,and other in stereo adjustments need to be done correctly as well or it will not sound so great. You need to explain your setup better so folks can try to help or we a stabbing in the dark some here.

Are you going to use all 4 channels of the amp? Are you running boat interior off 2 channels (front) and the tower of the other 2 channels (Rear)

If so, boat output rca's to that channel, and the tower output rca's to that channel. What amp are you trying to use? Do you have much experience with auto/marine stereo applcations? If not,you can do it yourself but you may want to seek experienced help as you need to adjust gains ect.. for that 420 to work well as it was meant to. Input signals, bass,midrange,treble,and other in stereo adjustments need to be done correctly as well or it will not sound so great. You need to explain your setup better so folks can try to help or we a stabbing in the dark some here.

The cabin speakers are separated on the amp to both front and rear. I did go get two RCA splitters and split the "boat" out RCA from the 420 and split it into the rear and front inputs of the cabin speaker amp. All is in working order. Speakers sound good so far, but will need a bit of tweaking to get the best sound out of them. I also ran my remote wire from the 420 and daisy chained it from the last in the daisy chain series of amps. That is what the local installer told me to do and it works just fine. All is good!