Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

I Ordered A New Malibu...

IXFE

IXFE, no sweat, they were just some suggestions for you. My dealer was really cool and gave me all upgrades at there cost, it was very reasonably priced to have a "fully loaded" VLX. I looked at the VLX purchase like buying a Corvette, if your going to spend this kind of money, the minute amount more for all the bells and whistles seemed like a small cost factor in comparison to the cost of the boat. There are definitely items I listed that are nice to have upgrades, I always tried to look at what I could easily add myself afterwards and what would be a total headache to do after the boat was built. But I also planned on keeping my boat for at least 5 years, you seem to be on the yearly trade-in plan.

And on your trailer I am sure boatmate is putting 4 wheel disc brakes, LEDs, spare tire, ratchet tie downs, and prop guard rollers on it... these are also some nice features to have.

Good luck with your build specs, and congratulations to you again on your purchase. I am looking forward to hearing your feedback on the wake differences between the two boats (MB) , I have heard they are very similar.

Edited by Fman
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IXFE

• Bobby Light

• Fman

• Malibudude

I think I have finalized my colors:

Exterior:

• Deck Base: White
  • Deck Accent: Black
  • Deck Accent 2: Black
  • Deck Main: White
  • Hull Main: Black
  • Hull Accent: Black
  • Hull Accent 2: White
  • Hull Base: White
  • Illusion G3 Tower: White
  • Swim Platform: Black (the picture shows white, but I asked for black since it's up against the black Hull Accent.

3.jpg

Interior:

• Dash: Ebony & Light Graphite
  • Base: Moonbeam
  • Accent 1: Ebony
  • Main: White (M-Grain)
  • Carpet: Sterling (Snap out)
  • Bead: Ebony
  • Cushion Panel: Ebony
  • Fiberglass Floor: Light Graphite

I am a little nervous about the Light Graphite color for the fiberglass floor liner. I got the idea from the picture below (my color scheme listed above is an exact replica). I like how it matches the carpet color, so the line between the snap out carpet and the seat base carpet is almost invisible. What do you think? Should I just go with white here??

interiorfinal.jpg

Nice congrats. Just a warning that White M-Grain vinyl will be a pain in the arse to keep clean. You'll have to be on that like flies on you know what. Are you 100% sure you want the M-grain white? The other vinyl isn't an issue really in white.

Edit: I think the floor looks good the way you have it.

Edited by Bobby Light

Nice congrats. Just a warning that White M-Grain vinyl will be a pain in the arse to keep clean. You'll have to be on that like flies on you know what. Are you 100% sure you want the M-grain white? The other vinyl isn't an issue really in white.

I also like the graphite floor, and I have white m-grain on my vlx, have not found it too bad to keep clean. Nice thing about white is it will not get as hot or show wear and tear as much as the darker colors.

I was just trying to copy that boat pic above. I really like it! Isn't that white I see on the main area? Can you guys help me match that picture to colors I listed above? Did I get it right?

Regardless of what color you choose for the Main area, the tool automatically selects "M-Grain" as the type. I don't even know what that means. I assume it's some sort of texture. Can somebody describe M-Grain?

Edited by IXFE

I thought the MXZ had a 102" beam? And it has less lounge space than the 100" beam on the vlx? Wow, what a bummer, you would think it would be larger?

That's what I thought to before I got in one. It has a huge bow and sun deck/transom seating area. The inside was no bigger than a VTX IMO.

I was just trying to copy that boat pic above. I really like it! Isn't that white I see on the main area? Can you guys help me match that picture to colors I listed above? Did I get it right?

Regardless of what color you choose for the Main area, the tool automatically selects "M-Grain" as the type. I don't even know what that means. I assume it's some sort of texture. Can somebody describe M-Grain?

The M-grain is the textured (bumpy) vinyl. I really like that stuff alot. Looks like white M-grain to me.

Edit: Looks like you chose Moonbeam for your base, the picture you linked is White base I think? Do I have that right?

Edited by Bobby Light

What made you chose the VLX over the MXZ (I am assuming price, which is a very understandable factor)? After sitting in an MXZ at the boat show, I am in love!

I love the MXZ... especially this video of it (made by my dealer, Active Water Sports): http://vimeo.com/30967709

I think the transome seating is my favorite feature. The bow is the best/biggest I've seen too. However, the cockpit doesn't seem that much bigger than the VLX, and that's the most important space to us.

But I am worried about getting the longer boat into my garage, and money is a factor as well. Coming from MB, this whole experience has given me sticker shock. Maybe someday in the future I can step up to the MXZ.

The M-grain is the textured (bumpy) vinyl. I really like that stuff alot. Looks like white M-grain to me.

Edit: Looks like you chose Moonbeam for your base, the picture you linked is White base I think? Do I have that right?

Here is how I understand the names of the different panels: Let me know if I'm off base (pun intended :thumbup: )

interiorlabels.jpg

Yes, the M-grain has a texture to it, its not smooth. Heres a pic of what I chose, white M-grain, moonbeam, charcoal and black. I have the white basin, not graphite for comparison.

For what its worth, I changed my colors 5 times from the time I placed the order and it hit production! My sales rep was really cool and assured me I was not the only one who had ever gone through this! Regardless of what colors you choose its going to look amazing, Malibu does a great job on there vinyl and color options. How exciting, the next couple months for you will take forever, looking forward to your pictures when you take delivery!

VLX_3.jpg

Transwalk.jpg

BTW... I decided to get the Evolution cover. Thanks for the tip.

You won't regret that purchase no matter if you get alot of use out of your cover or not. I am curious go know how much of a difference the evolution is cost wise. I remember the cs cover only being marginally less than the evolution but I knew I wouldn't order the factory cover even before I ordered my boat so I didn't look into it too much.

According to the March issue of transworld wakeboarding the VLX has 63 sq ft of cabin space vs 60 sq ft of cabin space for the MXZ.

Bruizza, thanks for the reference. I went and read that article compariing the VLX to the MXZ. It claims the following square footage:

• VLX: 63 (cockpit) + 29 (bow) = 92 (total)
  • MXZ: 60 (cockpit) + 32 (bow) = 92 (total)
  • It also says the VLX sun pad is 60% larger.

Hard to believe those numbers (particularly the cockpit), but who am I to disagree?

http://wakeboardingmag.com/features/2012/03/04/head-to-head-2012-malibu-wakesetter-22-mxz-and-vlx/

What I found most interesting was the pictures of the wakes:

wkb0312_mxzwake.jpg

wkb0312_vlxwake.jpg

Nice post, I agree it's hard to believe there is that little difference in the cabin area it sure seem like ALOT more than that (meaning the MXZ seems tiny). But I guess 3 sq in is a big difference, just look at the bow area measurements. Sure looks like the wake on that VLX gets the edge in that pic. Who knows how they are weighted though.

Congratulations!! Regarding the white tower, this has been discussed on another thread and as the owner of a white tower, it is no harder to keep clean than a black tower - and looks much better :lol:

Ever towed that 500+ miles in the summer time? Curious to see how the bugs come off...