Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

I Ordered A New Malibu...

IXFE

I've been lurking on this forum for over 4 years. In that time I've come close to buying a Malibu on three separate occasions. Each time I seem to find a reason to do something else.

Well that ends now! Yesterday I placed an order for a 2012 VLX, and I gotta tell you I'm really excited. :yahoo:

Here is my list of options:

• Maliview
  • Power Wedge
  • Bow Ballast
  • Sound Pack 3
  • 12” Sub + Amp
  • 2 Batteries
  • Heater (3 vent)
  • Driver’s seat heater
  • Dripless Shaft Seal
  • Wake Prop (Acme 1235)
  • Stainless Exhaust
  • White G3 Tower
  • G3 Tower Knobs
  • Pop-up Cleats (4)
  • Pop-up Bow Light
  • Cover
  • Bimini
  • White Boatmate trailer with 18" trailer wheels

I decided to skip the G3 tower mirror after reading the recent thread about issues. I'll order it later if I don't like the windshield mount.

I am also skipping the underwater LED's. I had them on my last MB and never used them once. We just don't go out at night.

Can't remember all the other junk I skipped. There sure are a lot of options on these boats!

I have to finalize colors and wheel selection fast. Here's what we are leaning towards:

Sorry for my lack of photoshop skills. I did it ghetto style using MS Paint.

Note: Thanks to skicrzy for letting me use his boat as my inspiration.

3.jpg

gear_alloy_711MB.jpg

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IXFE

• Bobby Light

• Fman

• Malibudude

Welcome, NICE RideDrool.gif

I've been lurking on this forum for over 4 years. In that time I've come close to buying a Malibu on three separate occasions. Each time I seem to find a reason to do something else.

Well that ends now! Yesterday I placed an order for a 2012 VLX, and I gotta tell you I'm really excited. :yahoo:

• Maliview
  • Power Wedge
  • Bow Ballast
  • Sound Pack 3
  • 12" Sub + Amp
  • 2 Batteries
  • Heater (3 vent)
  • Driver's seat heater
  • Dripless Shaft Seal
  • Wake Prop (Acme 1235)
  • Stainless Exhaust
  • White G3 Tower
  • G3 Tower Knobs
  • Pop-up Cleats (4)
  • Pop-up Bow Light
  • Cover
  • Bimini

I decided to skip the G3 tower mirror after reading the recent thread about issues. I'll order it later if I don't like the windshield mount.

I am also skipping the underwater LED's. I had them on my last MB and never used them once. We just don't go out at night.

Can't remember all the other junk I skipped. There sure are a lot of options on these boats!

I have to finalize colors and wheel selection fast. Here's what we are leaning towards:

3.jpg

gear_alloy_711MB.jpg

Like I mentioned over @ WW, a few members here have said that the white tower is a pain to keep clean. Might not be an issue for you as I have seen photo's of your boats and rigs in the past, but it should be noted before you finalize things on Monday.

Check out the Crew events as we are having a NW WOW this July. Check my sig for a link. Welcome to the crew!

-J

only thing I'd change is the cover. The commercial sewing (factory) cover is inferior to an evolution cover.

Shawn beat me to to it. Skip the factory cover.

Congrats on the new boat.

Shawn beat me to to it. Skip the factory cover.

Congrats on the new boat.

If I skip the factory cover, where do I get an aftermarket one? And how much do they cost?

Honestly, we rarely use the cover. The boat lives at home with us in a heated/insulated garage. It never spends the night outside unless we are camping and it's moored (maybe one week a year).

What is so bad about the factory cover?

martinarcher

Welcome to the family officially. :)

:plus1: Welcome!

My boat is the same as yours, always in the garage and rarely outside other than to and from the lake on sunny days. We unusually take a couple camping trips per year and that is when I need a cover I can count on and trailer with if it is raining in transit. I bought a cover from Cory Anderson at Evolution Covers because it is by far the best cover on the market. It trailers beautifully, does not require any kind of support to prevent pooling, is made out of the best material you can buy, and the customer service....well, one call to Cory and you'll understand. Thumbup.gif

\

Congrats on the new boat. Looks like it's going to be beautiful! Rockon.gif

PS: If you become a paying member it will more than pay for itself in the discount from Cory on the price of your cover. He helps out the Crew supporters with a discount on new covers. Thumbup.gif

If I skip the factory cover, where do I get an aftermarket one? And how much do they cost?

Honestly, we rarely use the cover. The boat lives at home with us in a heated/insulated garage. It never spends the night outside unless we are camping and it's moored (maybe one week a year).

What is so bad about the factory cover?

Cory at Evolution Covers. The evo uses 100% authentic sunbrella and has a rear strap down system that prevents water from pooling on the cover. Cory's quality is second to none...terrific cover. Now I've got a second generation CS towing cover and it's much better than the previous. If tows just as good if not better in a way with the wind vents. The CS cover covers the rear to the rail and the Evo doesn't. The EVO has better material and more than likely will last longer.

• Maliview
  • Power Wedge
  • Bow Ballast
  • Sound Pack 3
  • 12” Sub + Amp
  • 2 Batteries
  • Heater (3 vent)
  • Driver’s seat heater
  • Dripless Shaft Seal
  • Wake Prop (Acme 1235)
  • Stainless Exhaust
  • White G3 Tower
  • G3 Tower Knobs
  • Pop-up Cleats (4)
  • Pop-up Bow Light
  • Cover
  • Bimini

3.jpg

gear_alloy_711MB.jpg

Almost the same, I have black tower and black trailer. Congratulations on the purchase, I bet you can't wait to get on the water.

6626813943_25e9c85758_b.jpg

Edited by Flamingturbo

• Maliview
  • Power Wedge
  • Bow Ballast
  • Sound Pack 3
  • 12” Sub + Amp
  • 2 Batteries
  • Heater (3 vent)
  • Driver’s seat heater
  • Dripless Shaft Seal
  • Wake Prop (Acme 1235)
  • Stainless Exhaust
  • White G3 Tower
  • G3 Tower Knobs
  • Pop-up Cleats (4)
  • Pop-up Bow Light
  • Cover
  • Bimini

IMO, looks like you have it covered. Only thing I did differently was the water cooled shaft seal option. It was something like a $90 option. Dealer strongly recommended it, but I can't remember why. Congrats!

If at all possible, do the factory tour while your boat is in production. It's awesome to see the skill that goes into making these boats.

Congratulations, thats going to be a great VLX order!

My dealer also recommended not to go with the Malibu factory cover. Apparently they are having problems in hot weather climates with it staining the vinyl, it gets 100+ degrees here in the summer so I went with a cover the dealer recommended (cant recall the name), but its grey, not black....

*** Couple questions for you, how much are they charging for stainless exhaust tips? Only asking because for re-sale it might benefit you to have underwater LEDs, they are much more difficult to add aftermarket, and the stainless tips are a simple bolt on you can always add later.

*** Sound Pack 3 stereo? Have you considered the base system and having someone else install an Exile or Wetsounds system? I was able to go WS REV 10s, WS 420, ARC Audio amps, 12" WS sub for less than the Soundpack 3. And I believe its much nicer system, just something to consider. I ordered with 8 inboat fosgate speakers and the head unit only.

*** LED Docking lights? Great for re-sale, and they are super bright and work excellent for late night trailer loading

*** Assuming you are getting snap out carpeting? Its a must, so nice for cleaning

*** Extra set of board racks? The Quad setup is awesome, especially if you carry more than 4 wakeboards

*** Hotwater shower? Some dont use it much, but its a great option for re-sale to have on the boat

*** Transom walkover? Takes a lot wear and tear off the sundeck vinyl, you can still layout on it, also reduces down the size of the locker doors which makes them a little less weight.

*** The Malibu 3 vent heater is a joke, maybe they are changing it on the 2012's? On mine they put one snorkel tube in the walkway and the other two are "fixed" mounted under the drivers helm area that never reach your feet. I ordered a couple more snorkles/hot tubes and mounted them on the kickplate to allow all three to pop out. Did not make sense to me having two permanent fixed under the drivers area without being able to move them anywhere in the boat. Not sure if Malibu will let you order in a different configuration than this? Its about $100 worth of parts and an hour of your time to add the extra two hot tubes from Bakes.

Stereo9.jpg

Stereo10.jpg

CONGRATS AGAIN! Looking forward to seeing the pictures when it arrives! If you want me to spend more of your money please just ask!

Edited by Fman

Like I mentioned over @ WW, a few members here have said that the white tower is a pain to keep clean. Might not be an issue for you as I have seen photo's of your boats and rigs in the past, but it should be noted before you finalize things on Monday.

Check out the Crew events as we are having a NW WOW this July. Check my sig for a link. Welcome to the crew!

-J

Congratulations!! Regarding the white tower, this has been discussed on another thread and as the owner of a white tower, it is no harder to keep clean than a black tower - and looks much better :lol:

My dealer also recommended not to go with the Malibu factory cover. Apparently they are having problems in hot weather climates with it staining the vinyl, it gets 100+ degrees here in the summer so I went with a cover the dealer recommended (cant recall the name), but its grey, not black....

*** Couple questions for you, how much are they charging for stainless exhaust tips? Only asking because for re-sale it might benefit you to have underwater LEDs, they are much more difficult to add aftermarket, and the stainless tips are a simple bolt on you can always add later.

*** Sound Pack 3 stereo? Have you considered the base system and having someone else install an Exile or Wetsounds system? I was able to go WS REV 10s, WS 420, ARC Audio amps, 12" WS sub for less than the Soundpack 3. And I believe its much nicer system, just something to consider. I ordered with 8 inboat fosgate speakers and the head unit only.

*** LED Docking lights? Great for re-sale, and they are super bright and work excellent for late night trailer loading

*** Assuming you are getting snap out carpeting? Its a must, so nice for cleaning

*** Extra set of board racks? The Quad setup is awesome, especially if you carry more than 4 wakeboards

*** Hotwater shower? Some dont use it much, but its a great option for re-sale to have on the boat

*** Transom walkover? Takes a lot wear and tear off the sundeck vinyl, you can still layout on it, also reduces down the size of the locker doors which makes them a little less weight.

*** The Malibu 3 vent heater is a joke, maybe they are changing it on the 2012's? On mine they put one snorkel tube in the walkway and the other two are "fixed" mounted under the drivers helm area that never reach your feet. I ordered a couple more snorkles/hot tubes and mounted them on the kickplate to allow all three to pop out. Did not make sense to me having two permanent fixed under the drivers area without being able to move them anywhere in the boat. Not sure if Malibu will let you order in a different configuration than this? Its about $100 worth of parts and an hour of your time to add the extra two hot tubes from Bakes.

Stereo9.jpg

Stereo10.jpg

CONGRATS AGAIN! Looking forward to seeing the pictures when it arrives! If you want me to spend more of your money please just ask!

The factory CS cover does turn the darker colors all sorts of colors, including mine. The grey cover which I have now works flawlessly and doesn't discolor the vinyl. If your cover says Malibu on it and have vents on it, it's a CS cover.

Underwater LED's just a novelty no compelling reason to get them imho.

My thoughts below...

My dealer also recommended not to go with the Malibu factory cover. Apparently they are having problems in hot weather climates with it staining the vinyl, it gets 100+ degrees here in the summer so I went with a cover the dealer recommended (cant recall the name), but its grey, not black.... I will look into the cover situation tomorrow. I need to find out how much I save by deleting the Bu cover from the order. Will it be enough to pay for the Evolution cover? I intend to find out. Not sure I like the idea of a gray cover on a black/white boat.

*** Couple questions for you, how much are they charging for stainless exhaust tips? I don't know. I don't have a break down of each and every option. It's more of a package deal. I could ask about removing it to find out how much that saves me. I bet it's not much Only asking because for re-sale it might benefit you to have underwater LEDs, they are much more difficult to add aftermarket, and the stainless tips are a simple bolt on you can always add later. I honestly never used the underwater LED's on my MB. I'm not even sure they helped on the resale. In my case it's really useless bling. But I like your thinking here. I will look into it.

*** Sound Pack 3 stereo? Have you considered the base system and having someone else install an Exile or Wetsounds system? I was able to go WS REV 10s, WS 420, ARC Audio amps, 12" WS sub for less than the Soundpack 3. And I believe its much nicer system, just something to consider. I ordered with 8 inboat fosgate speakers and the head unit only. I did look into this, and in my case the math didn't work out for the inboat speakers and amps. I couldn't beat the Malibu package. But I am planning to do either a WS or Exile tower setup.

*** LED Docking lights? Great for re-sale, and they are super bright and work excellent for late night trailer loading. I have never been out past dark., but I do think they look cool. Honestly, I'm really trying to keep the price form getting too crazy. I can't choose every single option or it will destroy any hope of future resale. None of the boats on my dealers lot have docking lights and somehow they manage to sell them.

*** Assuming you are getting snap out carpeting? Its a must, so nice for cleaning. Yes, I should have mentioned this.

*** Extra set of board racks? The Quad setup is awesome, especially if you carry more than 4 wakeboards. We currently have exactly four wakeboards. I don't anticipate getting more this year, so maybe I'd add the extra racks in future years. It's good to know that capability exists. Just not sure I need it now. We also have a 5'6" surfboard (it's very wide too), a skate, slalom ski, and knee board. I hope all that sh*t fits under the seats or in the lockers. I don't think it would fit on the extra racks even if I had them.

*** Hotwater shower? Some dont use it much, but its a great option for re-sale to have on the boat. Never had one. Most folks I know who do say they rarely use it.

*** Transom walkover? Takes a lot wear and tear off the sundeck vinyl, you can still layout on it, also reduces down the size of the locker doors which makes them a little less weight. Good points here. I actually like how they look. But I don't like the extra step required to get to the warming tray. I plan to put the ropes in the warming tray, so we'll be in and out of there a lot. Also, for some reason my wife doesn't like it. So, ya know...

*** The Malibu 3 vent heater is a joke, maybe they are changing it on the 2012's? On mine they put one snorkel tube in the walkway and the other two are "fixed" mounted under the drivers helm area that never reach your feet. I ordered a couple more snorkles/hot tubes and mounted them on the kickplate to allow all three to pop out. Did not make sense to me having two permanent fixed under the drivers area without being able to move them anywhere in the boat. Not sure if Malibu will let you order in a different configuration than this? Its about $100 worth of parts and an hour of your time to add the extra two hot tubes from Bakes. Yes, the 3-vent heater setup is strange, to say the least. Two vents under the helm makes no sense. And the other vent in the walkthru makes little sense as well (who sits in the walkthru?). My dealer says there is no way to route the hoses to the main cockpit, which is what we're used to. But I have alreayd arranged to have one of the driver vents routed to the walkthru, making two up there. Hopefully the hot tubes can reach people sitting up near the observers seat.

Congratulations!! Regarding the white tower, this has been discussed on another thread and as the owner of a white tower, it is no harder to keep clean than a black tower - and looks much better :lol:

I told you I have been lurking. Haha! i read that thread, and it have me the confidence to order the white.

After two black trailers, I really wanted to try white, thinking it would match our tow rig (white Denali XL). Once I decided on a white trailer, the white tower became a must!

It's not that the commercial sewing cover is bad (MB cover is CS too, so you are familiar), it's that the Evolution cover is that much better. We trailered with the evo cover all the time; I don't really trust the cs cover not to scratch the gel. Expect to pay $900 +/- for the evo. If you become a paid member here, you'll get a 10% discount on the cover, which more than pays for itself.