Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat Mirrors

Thanley

Has anyone seen, or had a chance to use the new mirrors from PTMEDGE.com? They definitely look pretty cool.

CIPA mirror is the only one for me....and their customer service rocks!!

Has anyone seen, or had a chance to use the new mirrors from PTMEDGE.com? They definitely look pretty cool.

I've been reading good things about them, and considering one. Unfortunately, my boat is one of the 10% that is a bit tricky to mount to, requiring that I cut the black bar that holds my current mirror.

Might as well ask now...if anyone has an extra one of these laying around (see pic), please PM me.....

post-5162-0-31557500-1331411468_thumb.jp

These mirrors look good but they are certainly pricey - $199.95 for the Polymer version and $399.95 for the billet aluminum version plus another $229.95 for a mount that fits to a Malibu windshield trim (not sure which models). A fellow member (thtrog) wrote the following on March 9 under Modifications & Accessories:

I've been told it will work on the Sampson bracket. They also have an bracket that will fit the one or two point stock factory mirror. Price point, IDK, it's not like any not other mirror I ever looked in and I want to see my rider. I should have one next week on the water, so I'll report back then.

I've been reading good things about them, and considering one. Unfortunately, my boat is one of the 10% that is a bit tricky to mount to, requiring that I cut the black bar that holds my current mirror.

Might as well ask now...if anyone has an extra one of these laying around (see pic), please PM me.....

Hi Dave, if you had to choose between a this mirror and a Samson, which would you choose and why?

why do you have to cut the black bar?

If you choose to use your existing bar mount you do have to cut it to fit in the adapter. You saw it in the center and the one piece mount will clamp over the joint, the CIPA mirror has a removable clamp. The other options are removing the factory mirror and purchasing the window mount; the Edge mirror will fit the Sampson/G3 arm. My dealer is looking into options of ordering the original bar before I cut ours. I hope to have a mirror and a windshield mounting bracket to test next week. If I like it as well as on the water as I did in the showroom I have no reservation cutting the bar or removing it and using the window mount.

Here is the universal bar mount. it was made to slip on single bar mount, but can be used on the double mount bar per the above mod.

25278835.jpg

Edited by thtrog

Hi Dave, if you had to choose between a this mirror and a Samson, which would you choose and why?

the PTM Edge is one (panoramic) lens...not three. Also, I don't have a tower on my boat.

The mirror itself is 6"x20". The mouth of the clamp in the picture that thtrog posted is not able to "open" up enough to go over the bar mount in my boat. Thus I was told that I would need to cut my bar, and slide the mount over the "cut", with the mount providing adequate stability for the bar. I attached a couple pix to shed light.

I still have a couple questions...such as whether I will be able to fold down the mirror so that it doesn't interfere w/ my cover.

post-5162-0-59420100-1331468757_thumb.jp

post-5162-0-90818300-1331468825_thumb.jp

Edited by davemac

Hey Dave,

Are you able to comment at all about the similarity of the mount to the CIPA Extreme, which also has that semi-spherical mounting surface? I've got the Extreme with a Monster Tower adapter, wondering if that same adapter could be used with the PTM Edge mirror...

CIPA Extreme Mirror Adaptor

Jerry

Sorry Jerry...can't help with that question. i do not have the PTM Edge mirror...but am considering one. The info and pix I posted above were obtained through contact with the guys that mfg it.

Fair enough. Do you actually have possession of the adapter? Can you make a few measurements (circumference, depth of the mounting surface)? I'll do the same with mine later this morning, maybe we can all learn something.

edit: just re-reading your post, realizing those pics were probably taken by the mfg for you. Maybe I'll contact them too and ask the question...

Edited by SunriseH2OSkier
  • 3 weeks later...

I have the PTM mirror installed and all I can say is WOW! I have the windshield bracket and the fit is perfect to the frame. I've actually moved it more toward the center of the windshield and I like just glancing up, plus the mirror is not hanging out into the walkway.

IMG_3719.jpg

Here is a shot of the view you can expect. The next time on the water I will try and take the same shot to compare to the stock mirror or you can see it on the PTM website.

IMG_3723.jpg

Edited by thtrog

Awesome...Hey, thanks for posting those pic...looks great.

- Can you clarify "moving towards center"....from the drivers seat, did you move it left or right....was the picture taken before or after moving it?

-if I were to purchase one, I would likely mount it to the center "walkthru" windshield....would you estimate this to be too far from the driver?

-does your cover rest against the top of the windshield frame? If so, does the mirror interfere or be likely to chafe your cover (can you easily just remove it, or fold it down)?

TIA,

Dave

I was able to use it yesterday for the first time and it was perfect. Previous was the cipa and I was always trying to get it positioned so I could See skier from one side to other. This mirror once set allows that to happen. Complete view from one side to the other. I was lucky I had the Sampson bar already. Set it in and put nut on and away we went.

Awesome...Hey, thanks for posting those pic...looks great.

- Can you clarify "moving toward center"....from the drivers seat, did you move it left or right....was the picture taken before or after moving it?

-if I were to purchase one, I would likely mount it to the center "walkthru" windshield....would you estimate this to be too far from the driver?

-does your cover rest against the top of the windshield frame? If so, does the mirror interfere or be likely to chafe your cover (can you easily just remove it, or fold it down)?

TIA,

Dave

I moved to the right, more toward the center of the drivers windshield. The picture was taken before I moved it and I will get some more the from the water. I don't think it will be too far away on the center windshield, but I like the height of the frame bracket and just a glance up to view from a drivers prospective. The cover does touch the top of the windshield frame, the bracket folds and with the smooth finish I don't see any issues with the cover.

I was able to use it yesterday for the first time and it was perfect. Previous was the cipa and I was always trying to get it positioned so I could See skier from one side to other. This mirror once set allows that to happen. Complete view from one side to the other. I was lucky I had the Sampson bar already. Set it in and put nut on and away we went.

Nice! :rockon:

Nice. I wondered when someone would build a curved mirror. About time. But they sure are proud of it. The prices are steep.

I have a pair of Cipas now. Their descent. But if they had even an ounce of competition, I'd upgrade in a second...... well, maybe a couple seconds... at the right price. :whistle:

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Dave,

Are you able to comment at all about the similarity of the mount to the CIPA Extreme, which also has that semi-spherical mounting surface? I've got the Extreme with a Monster Tower adapter, wondering if that same adapter could be used with the PTM Edge mirror...

CIPA Extreme Mirror Adaptor

Jerry

So based on feedback from Dave, I went ahead and ordered this mirror. Showed up on my doorstep yesterday, and it is really sweet! Turns out the mounting does fit the Monster mirror adapter that I already have, so I'm all set.

Pops, I love that win shield mirror! So total cost was around $400?

I have a G3 Samson mirror for sale!

Ryan, I sent you the part numbers on Facebook. It's a direct bolt on to the windshield, two allens and has a protective rubber sleeve to protect the windshield frame.

For those interested in just upgrading the G3 mirror here's few picture of that. The aluminum mirror it the Elite and the plastic frame is the Pro model. FYI - The mirror lens is the same on both.

G3ArmwithVR-140Elite-SideView-s.jpg

G3ArmwithVR-140Elite-s.jpg

G3ArmwithVR-140Pro-s.jpg

Edited by thtrog

What's the cost on the mirror?....Assume you can use the Samson Arm and mount the same as the Cipa Mirror?

Thks

-LTD

Edited by Living the Dream
What's the cost on the mirror?....Assume you can use the Samson Arm and mount the same as the Cipa Mirror? Thks -LTD
LTD, Yes it's only one screw with a billet knob to install. The Elite list $399 and the Pro $199, worth every penny to see your rider. You may want to do like me and see if your local dealer plans to sell these. Here's the website you can order direct. http://www.ptmedge.com/

Edit, the G3 does not have the knob, but one recessed bolt. G3ArmwithVR-140Elite-close-s.jpg

Edited by thtrog