Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu Windshield Removal?

Peter1264fish

Hi all,

Was looking to tint the windows on my 2007 VLX and wanted to pull the glass for a cleaner install. Hoping to find some kind of illistration of the piece by piece layout of the whole assembly. Or if anyone is experienced in taking it all apart maybe some pointers and things to look for/expect while dismantling it. Hope this works!

Regards,

Peter

With you on this one Peter looking to take the windsheild off my 2010 v ride to update the dash speakers to some exile's

Yeah that'd be nice too! It seems pretty straight forward but I'm wondering if there are certain things I need to look for or be careful of. Also if there are any tips that would make it easier to reassemble it.

Hi all,

Was looking to tint the windows on my 2007 VLX and wanted to pull the glass for a cleaner install. Hoping to find some kind of illistration of the piece by piece layout of the whole assembly. Or if anyone is experienced in taking it all apart maybe some pointers and things to look for/expect while dismantling it. Hope this works!

Regards,

Peter

I was able to leave the windows on and have them tinted on my 2011. Have you considered this, rather than removing?. They turned out perfect.

Edited by Fman

I was able to leave the windows on and have them tinted on my 2011. Have you considered this, rather than removing?. They turned out perfect.

Yes I have considered it and if that's your boat in the pic then I see why you did. My windshield isn't split with the vents on the side, making it much harder to shrink and install with the one piece windshield. I actually own a tint shop in Monterey CA. And have done several windshields like yours. They are much easier and I think look better aesthetically. Also the dash is a lot closer to the windshield in my model making it harder to fit a squeegee down towards the bottom let alone two arms to trim the film to the rubber so there is no gap. I have also done some mods to my tower making it impossible to fit into my shop and Id like to install the film in a controlled environment for less contaminants between the film and the glass. :^\

Nice lookin boat btw!

Edited by Peter1264fish

Yes I have considered it and if that's your boat in the pic then I see why you did. My windshield isn't split with the vents on the side, making it much harder to shrink and install with the one piece windshield. I actually own a tint shop in Monterey CA. And have done several windshields like yours. They are much easier and I think look better aesthetically. Also the dash is a lot closer to the windshield in my model making it harder to fit a squeegee down towards the bottom let alone two arms to trim the film to the rubber so there is no gap. I have also done some mods to my tower making it impossible to fit into my shop and Id like to install the film in a controlled environment for less contaminants between the film and the glass. :^\

Nice lookin boat btw!

That makes sense, I thought your year vlx had a split windshield..... My Supra had one piece windows and did remove them from the boat. On my supra (2008) it was fairly easy to remove, many screws into top deck and a couple bolts. Not sure how difficult it would be on your vlx. I can't imagine it being too difficult.

and thanks for the comment on my vlx, loving the boat so far.....

I have 2005 23' LSV. I removed windshield last year and had them tinted. After removing rubber gasket several screws and a couple small bolts with nuts under the dash.Pretty easy if you have a extra hand under the dash. It took several tries to shrink the tint. The first guy gave up!! It turned out good, but not perfect. They also used a black marker around the edge to cover a few spots. Cant tell after windshield is installed. Good luck!! They look awesome tinted!!!

• 4 years later...
On 3/9/2012 at 7:44 AM, notoncall said:

I have 2005 23' LSV. I removed windshield last year and had them tinted. After removing rubber gasket several screws and a couple small bolts with nuts under the dash.Pretty easy if you have a extra hand under the dash. It took several tries to shrink the tint. The first guy gave up!! It turned out good, but not perfect. They also used a black marker around the edge to cover a few spots. Cant tell after windshield is installed. Good luck!! They look awesome tinted!!!

Can you post a pic of your boat?

With that windshield, I think it is pretty straight forward. You remove the rubber trim piece at the bottom of the windshield and that give you access to screw and/or bolt heads. Once you remove all of them, the windshield is simply lifted off. There is a rubber seal that the windshield sits on. If damaged I know Bakes sells the new seal.

Sorry to hijack your post Peter but I would like to upgrade my dash speakers and I don't see any way of removing them without removing the windshield. Does anyone have experience removing the windshield on a 1999 Sunsetter LXI? Is it the same as mentioned above - remove the rubber gasket to expose the screws?  So then the window frame stays in place and just the window comes out? Thank you in advance for any assistance. 

formulaben

If my boat is anything like yours, it is exactly as you describe and stupid easy...don't be afraid!  I had to remove both for speaker upgrades last winter and it allowed me to clean up some debris and 303 the seal.

10 hours ago, formulaben said:

If my boat is anything like yours, it is exactly as you describe and stupid easy...don't be afraid!  I had to remove both for speaker upgrades last winter and it allowed me to clean up some debris and 303 the seal.

Awesome. Thank you so much! 

formulaben

Oh, I will also add that someone *ahem* must have run out of the proper screws when installing the starboard windshield and used different/wrong hardware.  So I went to the local Tacoma Screw and replaced all the hardware with new stainless steel screws.  YMMV.

Hey - Could you please take some pictures when you remove that windshield.  I have a 1999 VLX and, while the windshield is different, I suspect I'll have to do the same thing when I upgrade my dash speakers.

Thanks ! ! !

On 5/17/2016 at 1:59 PM, Steve5sst said:

Sorry to hijack your post Peter but I would like to upgrade my dash speakers and I don't see any way of removing them without removing the windshield. Does anyone have experience removing the windshield on a 1999 Sunsetter LXI? Is it the same as mentioned above - remove the rubber gasket to expose the screws?  So then the window frame stays in place and just the window comes out? Thank you in advance for any assistance. 

Upgraded the speakers on my 2001 Sunsetter LXI and it was similar to what is mentioned above.  Remove the rubber strip at bottom of window.  Some screws into the deck with some through bolted.  The entire window and frame comes out as a unit.  Be sure to buy a new rubber gasket from Bakes before reinstalling.  If like mine was "disolving" due to age.  Replace at the same time.  I installed new JL Audio marine speakers.  Perfect Fit!  Good luck.  

21 hours ago, ORMailbuboater said:

Upgraded the speakers on my 2001 Sunsetter LXI and it was similar to what is mentioned above.  Remove the rubber strip at bottom of window.  Some screws into the deck with some through bolted.  The entire window and frame comes out as a unit.  Be sure to buy a new rubber gasket from Bakes before reinstalling.  If like mine was "disolving" due to age.  Replace at the same time.  I installed new JL Audio marine speakers.  Perfect Fit!  Good luck.  

Yes, my rubber strip is getting "squished" out. I'll kill two projects at the same time! Thank you so much for the information.

• 2 years later...

Just to add to this.  I’ve taken my boat 2008 vlx to two different shops.  Both couldn’t pull it off.  Both are considered good tiny shops.  I gave up. If any in Ca knows someone that can absolutely do it let me know. 

44 minutes ago, Imracin68j said:

Just to add to this.  I’ve taken my boat 2008 vlx to two different shops.  Both couldn’t pull it off.  Both are considered good tiny shops.  I gave up. If any in Ca knows someone that can absolutely do it let me know. 

Maybe contact Malibu directly for instructions?