Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Globe Water Pump Impeller Versus Oem

Going to replace my impeller this year as part of the regular maintenance. Wanted some feedback on the Globe elastomer impeller versus OEM. Does anyone have experience with this part. Is it really worth the extra cost? It states that it can run dry for 15 minutes, which by that time your motor is fried. Seems like the OEM lasts long enough and really running dry is not the issue, its mean time between failures. Any experience with either part?

Bakes has these on sale right now so the cost difference is not that big.

Standard disclaimer: Yes I know this is the dumbest post ever and all your buddies are going to get a big laugh.

Lots of us running the Globe (thanks to Group Buys :thumbup: ) for several years now and I don't recall any threads talking about one failing. OEM failures on the on the other hand are common (as expected with extended use). Maybe it is because those using Globes are more likely to change them out on time :unsure:

Sometimes I think my Globe does not prime as well as the OEM but I don't have any facts either way...

How often do you change it? I change mine every season so I don't see a reason to use a high dollar part for something I will never hit the life limit on anyway.

I've been using the Globe for a few years now. We tend to ride in the off season occasionally, and so we have to re-winterize the boat multiple times every year. Part of my winterizing routine is that we drain the boat & bump start the engine to blow out the last of the water & the mufflers (I've had water in the mufflers freeze & crack the fiberglass muffler in an MC). The fact that the Globe is rated to run dry for up to 15 minutes over the course of it's life..... sold me.

I've never had a Globe fail & never had the engine overheat running one. But I have had a couple of the Johnsons fail & the engine overheated in both cases. Luckily they were steel blocks & heads so there wasn't much damage. But it sure is a PITA replacing the impeller on the water. :Doh:

I run them for 2 yrs, probably around 175 hrs. Heres a pic the last time I replaced it.

Globe1.jpg

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Lots of us running the Globe (thanks to Group Buys :thumbup: ) for several years now and I don't recall any threads talking about one failing. OEM failures on the on the other hand are common (as expected with extended use). Maybe it is because those using Globes are more likely to change them out on time :unsure:

Sometimes I think my Globe does not prime as well as the OEM but I don't have any facts either way...

i agree. i don't think the globe is as flexible as the oem.

i think that it takes a set after a full season of use.

near the end of the 150 hr. season i pull the globe and swap it end for end.

swap out the impeller each season.

I install a new oem each season. Only once have I had to replace one during the summer. Not sure it is worth the extra $$$$$.

Edited by dlb

I change mine every season so I don't see a reason to use a high dollar part for something I will never hit the life limit on anyway.

I install a new oem each season. Only once have I had to replace one during the summer. Not sure it is worth the extra $$$.

The guy I heard of wanted me to reply to this.

4 years from my first oem, 5 years out of my second. Will change out before 012 season. I do multiple visual inspections during each season. My original is now my spare.

4 years from my first oem, 5 years out of my second. Will change out before 012 season. I do multiple visual inspections during each season. My original is now my spare.

If you go through the effort of multiple inspections each year would not be better to just go in once a year and replace it. My thought anyway

Globe. If I need to bump the motor over without water for a few seconds, I want to know I'm not shredding the impellar. Or every time you start the boat, before water gets sucked into the impellar you are technically damaging it - Globe will last longer. Globe doesn't cost that much more anyway. I can't see a good reason to NOT use the Globe.

Globe. If I need to bump the motor over without water for a few seconds, I want to know I'm not shredding the impellar. Or every time you start the boat, before water gets sucked into the impellar you are technically damaging it - Globe will last longer. Globe doesn't cost that much more anyway. I can't see a good reason to NOT use the Globe.

My thoughts exactly!

I ran the last globe for four years, (about 370hrs) it was damaged from debris when pulled this winter to check it. It was just chipped right in the center of all the fins, at the water inlet hole, looks like a twig may have gotten in there, fairly sure an OEM would have been destroyed. I have a Globe to replace it with.

Thanks for all the honest civil posts. Nice to be part of community that actually tries to help. I think I will replace with an OEM part but purchase a Globe as back up. After I thought about it yearly maintenance of an oil change a few other small items along with $46.00 part still seems small compared to an engine swap. Think about it even if you over spent by $150 a year in parts, meaning replacing part too early, how long before you would pay for a new engine?

I have had a normal black OEM fail on me. I am also a user that needs to bump start for mild winterization procedures early and late season. I would never again go with an OEM johnson black impeller. I am also going to change every 2 seasons before changing because it's more robust IMO. I'll see how that method pans out in the long term.

If you are a warm weather rider and don't bump start the engine ever and regularly change the impeller *every* year, the johnson may be good enough for you. Having been burnt once already by the johnson's I'll *NEVER* go back.

Edited by wakeboarder3780