Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Remote Wires

augie09

Trying to be a DIYer for stereo install, and I know how to complete the power and speaker wire runs, but scratching my head at remote ports on new amp and ws420.

Last season I installed two amps (exile sm400 and harpoon) and tower speakers, and pretty sure I didn't run any remote leads to my amps. they turn on when the head unit (sony giga panel) starts to play music, but I am going to double check this tonight however looking at exile website it confirms amps have signal sensing auto-on feature.

This month I am installing a WS420 eq plus a jl audio xd600/1 sub amp. I don't think the jl audio amp has signal sensing for auto turn on like the exiles do, and the ws420 has a remote lead port. Is this remote port an output for amps to turn on or is this an input from headunit? Do I need to run a remote lead to my sub amp (jl audio) from my WS420, assuming I am no longer using a headunit?

One side question. I can mount the new sub (jl audio 12w3) facing drivers legs or facing the outside hull wall (about 8 inches off) with the box I got from earmark, and not loose any foot space. Assuming facing the hull will be better ,but how much rattle/noise in the dash parts will this create? Will I be lining everything with foam and weather stripping, cause I hate rattles?

Edited by augie09

The remote port on the eq is what turns the eq on. you will need to find the remote wire on the head unit and run it to your amps and eq. There are a few ways to do this. some people use a relay some don`t. Sometimes you need it sometimes you dont it will be a trial and error thing. I added one to mine when I had the giga panel to get rid of the speaker pop when the stereo turned on. I have seen other boats that did not have this issue.

The remote port on the eq is what turns the eq on. you will need to find the remote wire on the head unit and run it to your amps and eq. There are a few ways to do this. some people use a relay some don`t. Sometimes you need it sometimes you dont it will be a trial and error thing. I added one to mine when I had the giga panel to get rid of the speaker pop when the stereo turned on. I have seen other boats that did not have this issue.

If I am choosing to run the EQ without a headunit, mp3 only, can I just run a wire from an unused accessory switch on my dash to the EQ?

Yes you can. In advance, if you end up with a turn on or off thump then this is correctable. But don't worry about it. Just know there is a cure if it appears.

David

If I am choosing to run the EQ without a headunit, mp3 only, can I just run a wire from an unused accessory switch on my dash to the EQ?

Yup I did that to mine.

• 1 year later...

Yes you can. In advance, if you end up with a turn on or off thump then this is correctable. But don't worry about it. Just know there is a cure if it appears.

David

What's the cure? That's exactly what mine does.

I have the remotes for ZLD and amp wired to accessory switch. When I turn off the switch I get the thump. I did not change the amp wiring except for the remote but only added the ZLD and eliminated the HU.

im pretty sure a relay is needed to get rid of the thump? would love to know exactly how to wire a relay in a large system install? 3 amps and a eq running off the hu?

starting with the basics.... where are you getting power for the eq and the acc switch (and are you using the acc switch for just the rem lead on the eq or also for eq power)?

Amp and EQ are powered/ grounded straight from battery. The acc switch powers remotes for the EQ and amp. The wiring for the acc switch is from the factory.

Just in case someone is following this:

In my case, turn off thump, I found that the amp must be powered off before any other component (EQ, BT). I used a relay and wired the relay coil and amp remote on the same circuit straight from the accessory switch. The zld remote and BT were wired to the relay contacts that pulled power from the battery.

Now a tiny click that I can live with.