Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need A Quick Prop Rec...acme 1273 Or 1579

BG2085

2000 23LSV DIAMOND

MONSOON

max 2000lbs ballast ( plus people....8 max)

want a good hole shot and speed holding ability but still need slalom speeds without too high of rpm

sea level operation

acme 1273 or 1579???

Edited by BG2085

The difference between those two props would be pretty minimal, but if you're concerned about elevated RPMs while skiing, definitely get the 1579. Plus, it's a little cheaper too, which doesn't hurt. :)

But will also raise the RPMs 200-300, which according to the original post is a concern.

With only 2,000 pounds of ballast at sea level, the 1579 will offer plenty of holeshot, especially compared to the 381 (remember, 2000 was pre-537) that came on his boat.

talked to jim at acme....he says 1941 is for me....comments?? he said pass the 1579 with smaller dia.? thanks

Edited by BG2085

I would agree, the 1939 (slightly less expensive, almost zero difference in performance) or 1941 are better choices, but you didn't give us those options in your first post. ;)

I would agree, the 1939 (slightly less expensive, almost zero difference in performance) or 1941 are better choices, but you didn't give us those options in your first post. ;)

you are right....talked to jim after i posted this. thanks guys

tell me what prop...any prop (oj or acme) you would recommend. thanks!

Ya, going with the 15.5" pitch you will still have a reasonable top end so you do not over rev the engin when skiing. If it was me purchasing I would get the larger diameter of the two props.

tell me what prop...any prop (oj or acme) you would recommend. thanks!

For your application, I would go with the 1939. Difference between it and the 1941 is 75-100 RPM, but a decent amount of money. Honestly, I would find a retailer with a demo program so you can figure out which prop will work best for your application.

Pitch being equal, what does the larger diamater do for you. Hole shot??

All else being equal, more diameter will give you more surface area and more mass. More surface area will transmit power to the water better for better acceleration, but more mass further from the hub of the prop will increase inertial losses, lowering RPMs and speed.

For your application, I would go with the 1939. Difference between it and the 1941 is 75-100 RPM, but a decent amount of money. Honestly, I would find a retailer with a demo program so you can figure out which prop will work best for your application.

All else being equal, more diameter will give you more surface area and more mass. More surface area will transmit power to the water better for better acceleration, but more mass further from the hub of the prop will increase inertial losses, lowering RPMs and speed.

So the 1939 will have better top end and the 1941 will accelerate better? Is this why the new large diamater 5 blades have lousey top end's but can lower RPM's at board speeds if you have the torque to drive them?

The 1939 came standard on my VLX and while I have limited use with it, it seems to be a nice compromise between top end and hole shot with the Monsoon engine. Was just wondering if antoher .5 inch of surface area would be better or worse with my engine/boat combination.

So the 1939 will have better top end and the 1941 will accelerate better?

Correct.

Is this why the new large diamater 5 blades have lousey top end's but can lower RPM's at board speeds if you have the torque to drive them?

Comparing performance between two props that ONLY differ in diameter is relatively easy, but as soon as you start changing two or more characteristics, it gets much more difficult to draw conclusions without real world experience. The five blades from ACME and OJ actually aren't bigger in diameter, so there are other factors that are impacting performance, but it's safe to say that if top speed is down (but the engine is still revving correctly), and RPMs relative to boat speed are down that there is more mass on the prop.

The 1939 came standard on my VLX and while I have limited use with it, it seems to be a nice compromise between top end and hole shot with the Monsoon engine. Was just wondering if antoher .5 inch of surface area would be better or worse with my engine/boat combination.

I would not spend money to change your prop unless you're wanting to have a backup, in which case it may make sense to look at something else, just to have options. Otherwise, the 1939 is a great prop for the VLX.