Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stripped Nutsert On Tower

One of the nutserts that hold the speakers on my tower stripped. It actually spun in the tower. I have been unable to locate any that are large enough to fit the hole in the tower. Metcraft (tower manufacturer) is out of business and Bakes told me they are nearly impossible to find. Does anyone know where I can find one? It's an 06 VLX with an Illusion X tower. The only other thing I can think of is to have a machine shop make one, but that will be the last resort as it will be expensive.

I'm afraid a search probably will not work in this case. All of the stereo posts were purged a short while ago (I'm not sure why all the posts had to be purged, there was some really good information there that is gone now).

In any case, I had posted some pictures of the nutsert when I had Issues.

My issue is that I tried to attach my speaker and some of the powder coating must have made it's way into the threads of the nutsert. The nutsert started spinning and I couldn't tighten it.

To correct it I had to take a sharp punch and "punch" near the edges of the hole. This will chip the powder coat off of the tower, so if you are not covering the nutsert with a speaker (or something else) be prepared to touch it up.

This should hold the nutsert in place enough for you to re-tap the threads. I forget the size of the threads, maybe someone else knows. In any case, tap them.

Then you should be able to put on whatever you want.

I can't seem to find the "attach picture" option on my reply, so I will come back and edit this post with the picture.

<edit> Had to renew my membership. I didn't realize it had expired. Here is the picture

post-1563-0-16770400-1331234371_thumb.jp

Edited by CedarLakeSkier

rat01,

We install nutserts regularly. We use a tool that looks like an overgrown rivet gun with breaker bars for tons of leverage. A nutsert is no more than a big interior-threaded rivet. So with the right hand tool and threaded post there is no reason that I see why you can't compress the existing nutsert tighter for a permanent solution. You can detent the nutsert in several places around the outer flange to keep it from rotating but if its not a real tight compression fit I wonder if that will last.

David

rat01,

We install nutserts regularly. We use a tool that looks like an overgrown rivet gun with breaker bars for tons of leverage. A nutsert is no more than a big interior-threaded rivet. So with the right hand tool and threaded post there is no reason that I see why you can't compress the existing nutsert tighter for a permanent solution. You can detent the nutsert in several places around the outer flange to keep it from rotating but if its not a real tight compression fit I wonder if that will last.

David

David,

I was a little worried about it continuing to rotate in the tower. I found out that if the threads are clean enough to easily put the screw into the nutsert that the pressure exerted by the screw pulling the nutsert tight is enough to keep the nutsert from spinning.

When I had this issue I was considering having the nutsert replaced. I couldn't find anyone that even knew what I was talking about let alone have a tool like you mention to install them. That's why I'm trying to provide a solutioin for rat01 that would not require replacement.

Cedar,

I didn't see your post as I was typing (slow) at the time. So my post was not a response to yours. But I did try to anticipate the various remedies and that was one that naturally came to mind and exactly what I would do if I didn't have access to the compression tool.

Isn't it 5/16" with a #18 thread count?

David

Me too.

Note: added the picture to my post above

Yup that is the correct fix for the issue. This is how Metcraft instructed people to fix this issue, not replace the nutsert.

Thanks for all the replies.

I should have been clearer in my original post. The allen head that held the speaker base (XM7) seized and I had to drill the head off to remove the mount. I could not get the rest of the bolt out without ruining the nutsert. I have purchased 3 different manufacturers largest nutserts and none of them would compress enough to hold in the hole. I do have the 3' long rivet compressor. The specs on all the nutserts I could find show them to be too small for the hole in the tower.

Dave do you know the manufacturer and part number of the ones you use?