Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Vlx Vs 23 Lsv?

Brent Wall

I am going to order a new boat next week. I previously decided to go with another VLX but I really like the additional room in the 23 LSV. At this point, I could go either way and be happy but I would like to make the optimal choice. I will be towing with a Lexus GX470 (if that is a factor).

I know how much the Bu Crew likes helping other people spend their money so chime in and give me some guidance.

Edited by Brent Wall

Is storage size a concern, or boat slip size?

what's the point of upgrading from a 08 vlx to a new vlx? just curious if its a new feature or something or something lacking in current boat...

IMO everything is bigger and better in the LSV. If you can store it and tow it LSV all the way, with that said I love the VLX. After having both I wouldn't go back to a VLX unless garage space was an issue.

I am going to order a new boat next week. I previously decided to go with another VLX but I really like the additional room in the 23 LSV. At this point, I could go either way and be happy but I would like to make the optimal choice. I will be towing with a Lexus GX470 (if that is a factor).

I know how much the Bu Crew likes helping other people spend their money so chime in and give me some guidance.

Here are my opinions on wakeboard wake...

The VLX wake can get pretty big with just hidden balast (assuming 750's are added to the back). As you overweight the boat, the wake gets steep. A properly weighted VLX with monsoon gets on plane pretty quick.

The LSV wake can get bigger, but you'll have at least a bag in the playpen. The ramp on the LSV wake stays pretty mellow even as the wake gets huge. This boat takes longer to get on plane with a monsoon engine. If you want a big wake, I'd go with the hammerhead.

Is storage size a concern, or boat slip size?

what's the point of upgrading from a 08 vlx to a new vlx? just curious if its a new feature or something or something lacking in current boat...

I just like the new tower and electronics. The only thing lacking on the 08 VLX is a bow ballast.

IMO everything is bigger and better in the LSV. If you can store it and tow it LSV all the way, with that said I love the VLX. After having both I wouldn't go back to a VLX unless garage space was an issue.

I'm definitely good on storing it. My boat house is 30" deep. I think I'm good with towing as well. The Lexus GX470 has a small block V8 and is rated at 6500lbs.

I'm definitely good on storing it. My boat house is 30" deep. I think I'm good with towing as well. The Lexus GX470 has a small block V8 and is rated at 6500lbs.

30"? You may need to look at buying this Malibu instead...LOL :dontknow:

http://www.amazon.com/Malibu-1711-Remote-Control-Boat/dp/B002UNCEYK

All joking aside tho, I have an 05 vlx and I have a friend with an 07 LSV, I prefer the VLX just because its a little easier to sink (ie larger wake with less weight) and its plenty large for my small crew. The LSV is awesome as well tho.

Edited by t a

You can't go wrong with either, if you want more room go with the LSV. The wakeboard wakes are both great... Prob a better surf wake with LSV. Personally, I like the vlx body style better... The LSV will be a little more $, not sure if this matters to you.

Great problem to have.... cant go wrong either way. The G3 tower is so much better than your 08, thats going to be noticeable right away.

I upgraded to a '11 VLX from an '08 and had a few of my friends ask the same question. Once they got in and behind my '11, they didn't ask again, not even the girls who didn't ride... The '08 is a great boat, but they re-designed the hull in '09 and added space (wider, more cabin area), improved the wake, improved the handling, added snap in carpet, and pretty much improved the fit and finish of the boat as a whole...

To the OP: VLX vs. LSV, you really can't go wrong with either one. The wakes are so similar on the V25 line, it's a moot point. Crew size and storage/slip space are good points. Aesthetics differ slightly on the outside. LSV will burn a little more gas. Go with what fits your needs the best.

Edited by sp0tts

I will be towing with a Lexus GX470 (if that is a factor).

Might want to verify the towing capacity of your exact vehicle then. I think some of the GX's only have a 5,000lb capacity and some have a 6,500lb capacity. You will most likely be over weight with an LSV if your capacity 5,000lbs till you add gas/trailer/gear.

might want to verify actual weight of boat and trailer,I remember my 05 vlx being alot heavier than id thought going off printed numbers. i dont remember exactly but close to 6 i think. Just something else to think about.

Edited by apwrx

Might want to verify the towing capacity of your exact vehicle then. I think some of the GX's only have a 5,000lb capacity and some have a 6,500lb capacity. You will most likely be over weight with an LSV if your capacity 5,000lbs till you add gas/trailer/gear.

I verified that the towing capacity on our 2007 Lexus GX 470 is 6,500 lbs. It has the factory towing package with the heavy duty frame mounted hitch.

post-8878-0-92808600-1331219677_thumb.jp

Based on my analysis I should be good with either boat. The VLX comes in at about 5,100 lbs loaded and the LSV comes it at about 5,650 lbs. Obviously, the VLX leaves me a bit more margin of error.

post-8878-0-55820800-1331220837_thumb.jp

Does anyone see any problems with my weight assumptions? Are my weight totals consistent with what other folks have measured?

I remember seeing a post where someone on here stopped at a weigh station and their VLX on trailer with normal amount of gear, batteries, system, etc, and it came in just under 6000lbs, not sure they include tower, batteries, accessories in that dry weight figure...

Aren't you already towing a VLX with it? You should be able to tell whether it tows fine and you can handle another few hundred lbs.

Edited by t a

I upgraded to a '11 VLX from an '08 and had a few of my friends ask the same question. Once they got in and behind my '11, they didn't ask again, not even the girls who didn't ride... The '08 is a great boat, but they re-designed the hull in '09 and added space (wider, more cabin area), improved the wake, improved the handling, added snap in carpet, and pretty much improved the fit and finish of the boat as a whole...

To the OP: VLX vs. LSV, you really can't go wrong with either one. The wakes are so similar on the V25 line, it's a moot point. Crew size and storage/slip space are good points. Aesthetics differ slightly on the outside. LSV will burn a little more gas. Go with what fits your needs the best.

gotcha, is the 08 vlx and the 11 vlx both considered to be v25 hull or did I miss a hull version?

I upgraded to a '11 VLX from an '08 and had a few of my friends asked the same question. Once they got in and behind my '11, they didn't ask again, not even the girls who didn't ride... The '08 is a great boat, but they re-designed the hull in '09 and added space (wider, more cabin area), improved the wake, improved the handling, added snap in carpet, and pretty much improved the fit and finish of the boat...

Great points; there is a lot to love about the "new" VLX. You can add new tower, Maliview, MTC and new stereo head unit to the list. I don't have any problem rationalizing the upgrade.

I have favored getting another VLX all along and the added space in the re-designed models may be enough for me to stay with the VLX. However, I sat in a 23 LSV on Sunday and that got me thinking (a very dangerous thing, lol).

Call me Brent if you need someone to listen. :biggrin: You can't go wrong with either, we spent several hours on a 23 LSV last fall. I can tell you my observations compared to the VLX, even compared to the MXZ, wakeboarding that is.

This is somewhat off topic, but since you know my son I thought you might like to see a 900 behind the MXZ yesterday...he can land it behind the VLX and LSV too. I hope your boys have thawed out after Sunday, they are braver than me.

Call me Brent if you need someone to listen. :biggrin: You can't go wrong with either, we spent several hours on a 23 LSV last fall. I can tell you my observations compared to the VLX, even compared to the MXZ, wakeboarding that is.

This is somewhat off topic, but since you know my son I thought you might like to see a 900 behind the MXZ yesterday...he can land it behind the VLX and LSV too. I hope your boys have thawed out after Sunday, they are braver than me.

http://vimeo.com/38136727

Holy cow!!!! That's amazing (the video)

I was actually amazed at both boys on Sunday. Wesley stayed out for a really long set and Noah toughed it out for a couple of passes as well. They were fully thawed by the time we got to Blowing Rock and were ready to ski. They had a ball.

I will give you a call in the next day or two. I need to figure this out really soon. I am in Brazil now but I need to get the boat ordered as soon as I get back next week.

Edited by Brent Wall

gotcha, is the 08 vlx and the 11 vlx both considered to be v25 hull or did I miss a hull version?

I meant the V25 LSV and V25 VLX wake difference would be a moot point. The current 21-ride is the same hull as the 08 VLX was, I believe it's also coined a V25 wake. They re-designed the VLX hull for the 2009 model year. They added 2" to the width of the boat, squeezed in a little more cabin space, and the shape of the wake was tweaked a bit.

Great points; there is a lot to love about the "new" VLX. You can add new tower, Maliview, MTC and new stereo head unit to the list. I don't have any problem rationalizing the upgrade.

I have favored getting another VLX all along and the added space in the re-designed models may be enough for me to stay with the VLX. However, I sat in a 23 LSV on Sunday and that got me thinking (a very dangerous thing, lol).

You really can't go wrong with either boat. I've got a buddy with a '10 LSV and I've spent plenty of time behind both, the only thing you're giving up with either boat is a little space in the VLX. Sounds like crew size and on board storage needs should help you decide.

Overall, Malibu really did a good job refining everything that's been mentioned. The two things that really impressed me the most have been the handling and wake. Even the new LSV will out-handle your 08 VLX, especially if you load down the boat. I've yet to drive a loaded down v-drive that outhandles the new VLX (we run a narrow river and it's very smooth through the turns). I didn't expect much change in the wake either and while it is still similar to the '08, I didn't comment after my first set and my whole crew came out of the water with big grins.

• 1 month later...

Here are my opinions on wakeboard wake...

The VLX wake can get pretty big with just hidden balast (assuming 750's are added to the back). As you overweight the boat, the wake gets steep. A properly weighted VLX with monsoon gets on plane pretty quick.

The LSV wake can get bigger, but you'll have at least a bag in the playpen. The ramp on the LSV wake stays pretty mellow even as the wake gets huge. This boat takes longer to get on plane with a monsoon engine. If you want a big wake, I'd go with the hammerhead.

When you say mellow, does that mean that the wake isn't as big, or are you just saying that the lsv stays more consistent? How does the engine make a difference? I am new to malibus and am also trying to decide between the lsv and vlx. Thanks

When you say mellow, does that mean that the wake isn't as big, or are you just saying that the lsv stays more consistent? How does the engine make a difference? I am new to malibus and am also trying to decide between the lsv and vlx. Thanks

I dont buy the mellow argument... That's someone who doesn't know how to shape the wake with subtle changes in power wedge position or move loads around the boat.

You can shape the wake to your riding style and preferences.... More rounded(mellow) or super super steep and crisp.

You can have a terrific wake behind either boat. Do you plan to surf at all? If so you'll want the bigger 6.0L in the 23, drives up the price some.

Boat weights. You can read specs all day long online, my boat weighs Above 7000lbs... I know I weighed it on a CAT scale, while the dry weight lists 4000lbs.

The only other consideration I'd offer is how many folks do you usually roll with? I know the wife and boys, but do you often bring additional folks out? If so that space would be nice.

Have you demo'd both boats back to back? We did this with the 23lsv and the 247. It tells a lot when you are able to do so. In our case, though the 247 had more room than anyone could ever want, which we loved, it still felt big and intimidating while driving and as a passenger. It did not offer the "fun, fast and nimble" aspect of the smaller 23lsv.

So, though our number one priority initially was space and more space, hence the interst in the 247, we ultimately sacrificed that extra space for a more fun driving and passenger experience. Again, these are just our opinions but it really did help to drive both back to back and answers questions that we assumed we had already answered.

Most of all, enjoy the decision process because most dont have this kind of decision to make...we are very fortunate folks!

I am not sure I follow. OP Brent was talking about VLX and a 23. I wasn't trying to talk him into a 247.

What I said was both will have terrific wakes... consider the bigger motor if you get the 23, and that many of the boats run 2000lbs or more than their spec'd dry weight as he said he was concerned about towing with the Lexus.

My 247 specs 4000 dry, but it's right at 7500 as it sits with the trailer. 3500 lbs is a considerable difference.

I am not sure I follow. OP Brent was talking about VLX and a 23. I wasn't trying to talk him into a 247.

What I said was both will have terrific wakes... consider the bigger motor if you get the 23, and that many of the boats run 2000lbs or more than their spec'd dry weight as he said he was concerned about towing with the Lexus.

My 247 specs 4000 dry, but it's right at 7500 as it sits with the trailer. 3500 lbs is a considerable difference.

I wasn't trying to talk him into anything either, I was just sharing my experience of a how a back to back demo comparison helped me come to a conclusion on the two malibus that best suited our needs.

So, I asked if he had a chance to do so and if he had not, then maybe that would help him decide between the two. It sure helped me and before the demos I would have bet my last dollar that we were going to end up with the 247. I clearly understand that he is looking at the VLX vs the 23LSV while I was looking at the LSV vs. the 247 lsv. Just trying to help a brother out....

He knows 247s, he was on mine last summer.

Id need a few more details on how he plans To use the boat.

Surf? Wake? What else do you use it for?

How Many folks average? How many folks max?

How many hours do you use the boat yearly?

What is the price difference for you between them?

With the 6500lb max tow on the Lexus 470, likely it can do it although it will be a heavy two with the 23.