Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Merc Outboard Help

All:

A bit off topic from a Bu perspective, but I am trying to help my neighbor with his boat. His is powered by a 2001 Merc 125 HP (4 cyl) outboard - two stroke. When we were winterizing it last year, it started leaking water out around the #1 cylinder spark plug hole. We shut it down and removed the plug - you could see a tiny piece of the head gasket poking out so that is what is causing the leak.

On the surface, it looks very straightforward to pull off the head and replace the gasket. However, I wanted to see if anyone's done that before, and if there are any good/recommended Merc outboard forums or reference materials to review before tearing into it. His boat (pontoon) goes with the Malibu like peanut butter and jelly - it is the main party/storage platform when we are all out for a day of water sports so we need to get her back up and running! :rockon:

Thanks in advance,

-- Mike

Never pulled apart a merc, but I've done a couple other 2 strokes and they are super easy. way less complex than 4 strokes. See if you can find a repair manual online somewhere or it might be worth ordering one. They are usually under $20.

Edited by Jimmypooh

My old boat had a 125 Merc hanging off the back of her. Supper easy job. Pull the head, scape and clean the gasket surfaces and reinstall head. Only trick is traking down the toque pattern and appropriate torque values for the head bolts. Mine did the same thing but after pulling the head I found the problem was with the gasket between the lid and the water cooled portion of the exhaust manifold. I would do both while you are at it. The whole job took me about an hour at a relaxed pace.

Marineengine.com (seloc) has a nice selection of online service manuals (for a cost). I purchased a subscription and then just printed enerything.

Good luck!

Awesome info, thanks everyone - I'll download the manual and we'll get to wrenching soon...it was 70 in Cincy yesterday...unbelievable. Spring's coming soon!

-- Mike