Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Prop Identification Question/pics

I really cannot understand all of the stamps that are on my prop. I definitely have to send it in to get some work done, but I would love to know what my dimensions are. I see that it is an OJ prop, but other than that, I have NO idea what all of the stamped numbers mean. I'm wondering if the previous owner had this prop reconditioned more than once or twice....or more. Any advice from any of you crew would greatly help my confused brain. I am sending it in to a repair shop, but I want to know if it might be overworked first just from these 5 pics (scroll left or right in link). Thanks in advance.

securedownload-3

If it were a stock (no refurbished) prop, the markings would be clear. It has been rebuilt, probably many time's. I have never seen so many stampings on a prop before.

You could probably send it in and have them make it to your liking, but I don't believe it would be close to new, CNC precision. But that doesn't mean that it wouldn't do what you need it to.

Every stamp on the outside of the hub between the blades is a repair. Some of the ones on the end of the hub also look to be repair stamps.

I'm surprised any prop shop would keep fixing that. Metal gets thinner and thinner every time they balance it. Gotta be to the point of flexing/failure with too many more fixes. Probably not even the same diameter as when it was new. My original 13x13 had five repairs and was down to 11.5 inches when I bought the boat. Bought a used Acme 515 for $185 and obviously it was a massive difference. Prop shop wouldn't touch the old one, it now sits hidden back by my fuel tank just in case i need to make it back to the dock in an emergency. Yours looks to have more repair stamps than mine for sure.

My advice would be buy another prop--new or used--in good condition and put that in the boat as a weekend saving spare.

Edited by jk13