Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Opinion On Sunscape

hogwild

In you guys opinion, what do you think a good price is for a 2001 Sunscape with 250 hours and a hammerhead engine? I have looked at Nada but I know that doesn't necessarily mirror what the market allows. Interior and exterior are flawless; it has a tower, racks, but no speakers. Let me know if you need to know anything else to make a reasonable estimate. I'm still trying to figure out what drives the price the most.

More importantly, is the only major difference between the Sunscape and the Sunsetter the length or is there a difference in the shape of the hull? Thanks again. I love learning more about these boats every day from all of you.

Edited by hogwild

I'd say 19k. Assuming trailer comes with it. Prices will vary depending on where you are located and what time of year it is. Anything that floats and runs will seem to sell around july 4th. I tracked listings for a long time before i bought and saw as much as a 3k spread on prices depending on those factors. Its tough to find a nice v drive much under 20k, there's just not much supply.

Right now the boat is on consignment and listed for $23,900 which I thought was a bit high. Just trying to figure out what was reasonable and if it fit my budget.

What's the story on the hammerhead engine for that year model? Any noticeable issues or problems? I have read both yeas and neas of excessive oil burn.

Looks like the boat has sat in the water. There appears to be some scum lines on the hull and some staining on the carpet based on the pictures. Most likely a majority of it can be cleaned up but you just never know.

i think 18 is closer to a reasonable price. 23900 is waaay to high for that boat imo.

That's kind of what I thought. Even though they said the boat has been kept indoors it's whole life and exterior and interior have no blemishes, it IS a 2001 and I would think I could get into a newer model Sunsetter or Wakesetter at that price.

In the mid west when I was shopping I found no nice low hour malibu v-drives for under 20 unless it was purple.

Yeah so true. Honestly, if you are ready to buy and this boat has the core things you want (hull, engine hours, clean interior, is within driving distance, etc) i wouldnt fault you for overpaying a bit. As soon as you get it home youll start doing mods and go overbudget anyways :-)

Yeah so true. Honestly, if you are ready to buy and this boat has the core things you want (hull, engine hours, clean interior, is within driving distance, etc) i wouldnt fault you for overpaying a bit. As soon as you get it home youll start doing mods and go overbudget anyways :-)

Yeah, I'm actually comparing this boat to another boat that is going to need a little TLC so I'm trying to figure out which is giong to be better once all is said and done. The only thing that bothers me about this boat is the tower...I'm just not that found of its styling. And I may do a little modifcation on the boat later on, but for now my budget is pretty strict.

Edited by hogwild

Once a tower is in place, it is extremely hard to replace with another type of tower correct? Or is there a way that I could swap out the tower on this boat for another?

Edited by hogwild

i bought a 2000 23lsv last year with no tower for 21k......130 hours and the boat was flawless. may have paid to much but liked and trusted the guy i bought it from and the boat suited my needs perfectly and met my price requirements and its been worth every penny. Im sure i could have found 1 cheaper but my guess is that guy will sell the boat for 22.5-23. I love that wakesetter....23k seems like a good buy. i would have bought it. Our family absolutely loves the boat.

We bought our boat last summer for 20k, but that's more of the exception than the rule (it's pretty much a fully loaded SS with 330hrs at the time). I'm pretty positive I could have flipped it for a profit if I had wanted to.

I'd say that price is pretty close - you may be able to knock him down a bit. It's hard to find a V-drive worth buying below 20k.

That's a nice boat. I've seen plenty listed for 27ish and up - depending on how they are set up. I have an 03 23lsv, and had to shop around for a while to get near my price. Most would not take less than 26-27K and they told me no all day long no when I offered less (18 month ago). Not sure the market is the same, but like the previous posters said it's hard to find a clean V drive for 20, especially a large Malibu.

I think the 23lsv label brings it up in value. Yes, it's not the same hull as the newer 23s (in fact it's really 22.5'), but it holds value and the diamond hull is fantastic. Sounds like you might be on to a good deal to me.

If it feels right, and that's the hull you want, don't split hairs... go get it. What's a few thousand with these gas prices anyway :)

I love the looks of the boat, but just can't get over the tower. Maybe it would look different once it has a speakers and some lights though. Can anyone tell what kind of tower it is by the pictures?

Not sure on the tower old Barewest maybe?The big ugly gauge in the middle of the dash is more off putting to me. Honestly whenever ive looked, buying and selling 4 in the last 4 yrs current one less than a year ago Ive found 23's cheaper than 21's.21 fits in the garage:) I honestly think you can find a better one out there.Dont settle just to get one. I'd look at other manufacturers also there are great boats at great prices,MB,Sanger,Calabria,Supra,moomba etc.