Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2007 Alternator

Hi,

Does anyone know the connections of the 2007 Malibu alternator ? How many wires and what do they connect to?

1) Does ALT Power and Ground only connect to the battery?

2) Does the voltage regulator get power/GND from the battery? Or its just inline between ALT power/GND and battery PWR/GND? In other words does the voltage regulator need power/gnd from battery to operate?

3) Is the Sense typically connected at the battery switch ?

4) Is there also a field wire? Or is this the same as ignition wire?

5) Ignition wire?

6) I have read the field wire is pulsating when the alternator is running. Is this true?

In order to isolate some high pitch noise in stereo, I am trying to isolate the ALT

1) So I only connect alternator POW/GND to battery 1

2) Bat 2 then connected to boat power and GND. And battery grounds not connected.

but I still see resistance between battery grounds. So

1) Either there's some other GND connection between my ALT ground and boat ground

2) Or there still some power connecting thru ALT GND. Which would probably be the sense, ignition, etc. So maybe its too hard to isolate since the ignition power would be coming from my bat 2 and then getting grounded thru the ALT GND (hence bat 1) and hence connecting my batteries together (current from Bat2 plus to Bat 1 ground. So I think I just realized I cant isolate unless I change the power of ignition to bat 1.

Anyways, trying to understand all the wires from ALT and how the voltage regulator is hooked up.

Edited by JoeMama

Hi,

Does anyone know the connections of the 2007 Malibu alternator ? How many wires and what do they connect to?

1) Does ALT Power and Ground only connect to the battery?

2) Does the voltage regulator get power/GND from the battery? Or its just inline between ALT power/GND and battery PWR/GND? In other words does the voltage regulator need power/gnd from battery to operate?

3) Is the Sense typically connected at the battery switch ?

4) Is there also a field wire? Or is this the same as ignition wire?

5) Ignition wire?

6) I have read the field wire is pulsating when the alternator is running. Is this true?

In order to isolate some high pitch noise in stereo, I am trying to isolate the ALT

1) So I only connect alternator POW/GND to battery 1

2) Bat 2 then connected to boat power and GND. And battery grounds not connected.

but I still see resistance between battery grounds. So

1) Either there's some other GND connection between my ALT ground and boat ground

2) Or there still some power connecting thru ALT GND. Which would probably be the sense, ignition, etc. So maybe its too hard to isolate since the ignition power would be coming from my bat 2 and then getting grounded thru the ALT GND (hence bat 1) and hence connecting my batteries together (current from Bat2 plus to Bat 1 ground. So I think I just realized I cant isolate unless I change the power of ignition to bat 1.

Anyways, trying to understand all the wires from ALT and how the voltage regulator is hooked up.

Well,

I believe the alternator is the Delco 95 amp. AMP Serpentine 8600002 Model 11SI (with internal voltage regulator)

Of which the signlas are:

"BAT" Output (+) : Output terminal, connects to the Positive (BAT) Battery terminal to charge the batteries.

"GRD" Screw : Grounds the alternator.

and a 4 pin voltage regulator connector (of which descriptions are not from data sheet but found from Internet):

1) "P" Phase (Relay) - Relay terminal may be used for certain types of control relays, charge indicators, tachometers or similar devices. I have read that this terminal provides a pulsing DC signal that varies with engine rpm. The voltage is half system voltage. This terminal is used to connect to the dash warning light, or used as a tachometer connection.

2) Blue Lead Indicator Lamp/Ignition - Indicator Lamp/Ignition terminal can take up to 1 Amp Lamp Current. It grounds the charge warning light. This lead receives voltage from the ignition switch, through the charge warning lamp, when the key is turned on, but the engine is not running. This serves two purposes - it gives a visual warning that the alternator is not charging, and provides the initial current to get the unit to charge until it can provide it's own charging current.

3) External Field Monitor - External Field Monitor is only used for diagnostics. Probably because it has an internal regulator. Regulator controls the alternators field wire which controls output power. Ground will provide full current.

4) "Remote Sense™" Terminal – Remote Voltage Sense (if equipped) used to more accurately control system voltage bymonitoring actual voltage at Battery Terminal or Junction Block. Notice! Be careful not to ground the lead's open end,

because the line is always live "hot".

Edited by JoeMama

Does anyone know if Malibu boats use the Alternator pin = “P” Phase (Relay) - Relay terminal ? Supposedly its a pulsating signal that changes with engine RPMs. I am wondering if the dashboard electronics or other system (near stereo) use this signal.