Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anti Freeze Under The Boat!

BFrank

Noticed last night there was antifreeze under the boat dripping from the drain plug. My heart sank!! Looked at everything and all I can see is the hoses that come off the manifolds had some antifreeze on them. do you guys think that with the warm and cold that hose couplers expanded and contracted? Its always 40 degrees in my garage, so I don't think anything would have froze. We have plants growing in there that are alot more delicate than an engine and are doing fine.

My hoses leak anti-freeze every year. Drives me crazy but I've learned to live with it. If it's real anti-freeze, make sure to keep dogs and kids away from it.

BF, sounds like the cross over line was loose, have you been in the boat lately? I know after I winterize when I climb in and out of mine water will continue to drip out of the intake/pickup line for weeks if I don't vacuum the system out like I normally do. It could of been some left over AF from a spill that you thought you got cleaned up when winterizing but missed. If you went to the trouble of winterizing it with AF I doubt you have anything to worrry about. I would retrace my connections as it is most likely just a loose fitting, clamp or plug. I know when the kid or wife is hovering over me when I'm doing mechanical work or honey do's I always forget something or end up bleeding! :cry: Hope it is an easy fix. Bill

There has to be a better way to put those hoses together. I was thinking a pvc t with a shut off for easy draining. The system on there now is too hard to make a tight connection.

Edited by BFrank

BF, are you talking about the manifold cross over lines. Mine are more or less just high dollar brass connecters and reinforced garden hose.

This dumb thing!

IMAG0195.jpg

My hoses leak anti-freeze every year. Drives me crazy but I've learned to live with it. If it's real anti-freeze, make sure to keep dogs and kids away from it.

How much do you see leak out?

Edited by BFrank

we always have a bit of extra antifreeze come out of the intake, and the exhaust on all boats. No biggie.

Where does it come out of the intake?

when we pump antifreeze in we use a fake-a lake to pump it into the boat on the underside water pickup. Often, gravity will let the last little bit out of that, it then travels down to the back of the boat where is finally drips off. Also, we run the motors until we see the exhausts start spitting pink. So there is a bunch of antifreeze in those that will leak out a bit over the winter

BF, you said yours was coming out of the drain, which I assume you mean from the transom drain. This would indicate to me, an internal leak i.e. your cross over hose, other hoses, block drains, or muffler possibly if you drained it and didn't retighten the plug(s). It might be a loose muffler clamp or cracked muffler which you may not of noticed normally because we always have water in the bilge (people getting in/out) when in use. You might want to start reaching around under stuff to see if you can find the problem. Barring that dry the bilge and lay down TP or paper towels to isolate the source until you can get back in it to check.

BF, you said yours was coming out of the drain, which I assume you mean from the transom drain. This would indicate to me, an internal leak i.e. your cross over hose, other hoses, block drains, or muffler possibly if you drained it and didn't retighten the plug(s). It might be a loose muffler clamp or cracked muffler which you may not of noticed normally because we always have water in the bilge (people getting in/out) when in use. You might want to start reaching around under stuff to see if you can find the problem. Barring that dry the bilge and lay down TP or paper towels to isolate the source until you can get back in it to check.

Pet training pads work great and will keep a lot of mess out of your bilge. Works for oil changes as well.

How much do you see leak out?

I get leaks coming from the hoses. Usually a teaspoon on each side of the engine. And that's after all winter.

• 2 weeks later...