Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Battery Recharging

Hey Guys,

Well the boat is pulled out of storage, waxed and ready for the water. How long do you leave the battery on the charger?

I need to charge up the battery after sitting in my garage for 7 months.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Reggie Biggrin.gif

I let it charge for 24 hours on the low setting (mine is 2 amp). You can quick charge in a couple of hours on the higher setting (10 amp), but I think the slow charge for a longer period is better.

Rip

I let it charge for 24 hours on the low setting (mine is 2 amp).  You can quick charge in a couple of hours on the higher setting (10 amp), but I think the slow charge for a longer period is better.

Rip

Correct... I trickle charge my battery's at least once a month.

Ronnie's right. Battery Tender or similar "smart" charger is the only way to go.

If you overcharge it will shorten the life of the battery and decrease its capacity. Also check the water level if its not a sealed battery.

I pulled this off a battery Mfg's website a long time ago. VERY useful for determiniing HOW charged your battery is:

Reading Power Left

(Volts) (%)

12.91 99%

12.80 90%

12.66 80%

12.52 70%

12.38 60%

12.22 50%

12.06 40%

11.90 30%

11.70 20%

11.42 10%

10.50 0%

NOTE: if you check the battery charge immedietley after charging, it has an extra "surface charge" that may cause the battery to be/look more charged than it is. Don't know how long you have to wait (an hour???) to get an actual accurate reading.