Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wedge Plate Question

Backfooter100

Hello

Just ordered a 2012 Response CB, My question is, does the "new" wedge plate work with the Scarpa Suppression Plate, looking at pics of the wedge plate that is coming on the boats now, I am not sure if my SSP will mount to it.

Any info would be appreciated

Thanks

If you are talking about the old first generation SSP that bolted to the older fixed wedge plate, it does not fit. There is a new SSP for the new floating wedge plate (which is on your 2012). The new SSP os longer and wider (as is the new bracket). Two solutions are possible. One is to get the new SSP the other is to find and older plate and swap it for your new one but I was told the new larger SSP is needed to have the same effect.

I kept my old SSP thinking it would fit my 2009 RLxi and found out first hand they changed the design quite a bit. It kind of sucks because the new one is pricey.

If you are talking about the old first generation SSP that bolted to the older fixed wedge plate, it does not fit. There is a new SSP for the new floating wedge plate (which is on your 2012). The new SSP os longer and wider (as is the new bracket). Two solutions are possible. One is to get the new SSP the other is to find and older plate and swap it for your new one but I was told the new larger SSP is needed to have the same effect.

I kept my old SSP thinking it would fit my 2009 RLxi and found out first hand they changed the design quite a bit. It kind of sucks because the new one is pricey.

Thanks for the info Wayne

Where do you buy the new SSP ?, How much is it ?

Thanks

I ended up not buying one but my dealer said they could get one. I decided against it when they quoted a price similar to the wedge which was about $470. That was in 2009. I also couldn't find much first hand experience on the web regarding its impact to the wake so I decided I would go witout.

I made a mistake in my previous post. I for some reason thought you had the TXI. The Response LX hull I think has stayed the same since the LXI was introduced. I was led to believe the new design was not only to fit the new wedge plate but also enlarged (wider and longer) when the diamond hul came out. I'm not sure what it would do on your hull.

I assume you want a SSP for barefooting or is there some other reason? I noticed that a lot of the information Scarpa had on the web is gone and I don't think he lists them for sale on his site anymore like he did for the original one.

I ended up not buying one but my dealer said they could get one. I decided against it when they quoted a price similar to the wedge which was about $470. That was in 2009. I also couldn't find much first hand experience on the web regarding its impact to the wake so I decided I would go witout.

I made a mistake in my previous post. I for some reason thought you had the TXI. The Response LX hull I think has stayed the same since the LXI was introduced. I was led to believe the new design was not only to fit the new wedge plate but also enlarged (wider and longer) when the diamond hul came out. I'm not sure what it would do on your hull.

I assume you want a SSP for barefooting or is there some other reason? I noticed that a lot of the information Scarpa had on the web is gone and I don't think he lists them for sale on his site anymore like he did for the original one.

Yes, I primarily wanted it for footing, the problem with reaching Ron Scarpa is he closed the business late last year, and I was told by my dealer that the SSP is no longer available, I had not even heard that there was a "newer" SSP available.

Now I am wondering if I should have the facyory put the wedge plate on at all (i am not a fan of the wedge, Never was, I never liked the idea of all that pressure on the transom)

We mostly ski and foot, and most of the time we play off the boom and long line once in a while, but when we do I would like every advantage I can get

Where / who was selling this "newer" plate you were talking about ?

The SSP is available, but the plate has not changed. The only part that changed was the arm location and style to allow mounting to the newer stainless steel wedge plate (transom bracket).

Heck, for some dollars we can add it to an Axis too - just email me for your plate needs.

Peter :)

DSCF6802.jpg

Edited by SmoothWaterMan

The SSP is available, but the plate has not changed. The only part that changed was the arm location and style to allow mounting to the newer stainless steel wedge plate (transom bracket).

Heck, for some dollars we can add it to an Axis too - just email me for your plate needs.

Peter :)

DSCF6802.jpg

Hi Peter

Thanks for the pic !, I have the original SSP (bought it when I got my 06 RLXI)

Can my SSP be modified to fit the new style wedge plate ?

If not, what are my options ?

Thanks

Danny

Danny, options would be to sell your plate and buy a new one complete, or have us install new arms on yours. Installing new arms would probably be about 1/2 the cost of a new plate.

Peter

Danny, options would be to sell your plate and buy a new one complete, or have us install new arms on yours. Installing new arms would probably be about 1/2 the cost of a new plate.

Peter

Peter

What does it take to install the new arms on my plate, do you have to cut and weld, or do the old arms unbolt and the new arms bolt back on.

Unfortunately my SSP is down at the lake at the moment, so I can't look at it

What does a new plate cost ?

Thanks

Danny

Are you sure the bottom plate is the same? When I held my old SSP up to my new wedge plate the SSP was about an inch too narrow. It could be the picture angle but I dont see how just new vertical arms will make the old bottom plate fit. Can you post a picture taken directly from the rear on that boat or measure the center to center distance on the bolt holes for the vertical arms?

Now I am interested in getting mine to fit.

Are you sure the bottom plate is the same? When I held my old SSP up to my new wedge plate the SSP was about an inch too narrow. It could be the picture angle but I dont see how just new vertical arms will make the old bottom plate fit. Can you post a picture taken directly from the rear on that boat or measure the center to center distance on the bolt holes for the vertical arms?

Now I am interested in getting mine to fit.

Wayne

Do you have access to your old SSP at the moment, I am curious if the verticle arms are bolted to the plate or welded, I just can't remember

The arms bolt on through the plate with two machine screws. No welding anywhere on the components.

The two plates I have currently on an old bracket and a new bracket are the same - 10"x15". Outside to outside arms is 9 1/8" if I recall.

I could be wrong, as all the older boats are in storage still. If it is just narrow in the wedge bracket you can add spacers between the arms and bracket.

Peter

ps - this all being said, A SSP on an 07-11 RLXi will not help. That wake is so purely slalom that a plate just doesn't make it a barefoot wake. On a Response, Response LX, or 03-06 RLXi it's great.

Edited by SmoothWaterMan

Thanks Peter. I just took a tape measure to my old SSP. The base is 10x15.5 and the outside width of the arms is 9 and 5/32 of an inch. Also the adjustable "struts" protrude past the outside of the vertical arms so they might interfear with the wedge plate. I have to look at my boat but the wedge plate may have built in spacers that would get around this. I will measure my wedge plate in a bit to check double check the inside dimensions and bolt spacing.

Thanks Peter

I will call you tomorrow and work out the details of retro-fitting my old plate !

Thanks again for all the great info !

Actually now that I have taken a tape measure to it the old plate might fit with just bolting it together a bit differently so the struts will not interfear (which seems possible). Peter what is different about the new and old vertical arms?

I also always like to admit when I am wrong. Its been 3 years since I looked at it and my memory was off.

Glad I could help. Don't worry about not remembering, I figured it would be me!

The new arms have a milled recess in the arm to allow space for the turnbuckles, since the new bracket is square sided.

Peter

The old arms are the same but mine has the milled notches facing in. If they are swapped side to side it looks like the old SSP will fit the new wedge plate. Since everything is bolted together it shouldn't be too difficult. You have to loosen those screws any way to set the plate up correctly for front/back placement.

A comment made earlier is that the SSP isn't meant for the Cut Diamond LXI. I have heard that as well but was curious to see what it did anyway since I have one.