Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sub Box Builder

CTSunsetter

Hey all, I have a buddy who needs a sub box built for his VTX. Anyone have a recommendation?

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

I can ask my local guy. He has a bunch of premade boxes that are built for each model. I will pm you details if you want? And the bioxes are actually hidden behind the factory kick plate.

Edited by Malibuzer

Wasn't it Exile that had the CNC boxes for some of the Malibus? Can't find them on their site.

Otherwise ask around to some 18-20 somethings that you know who is the best audio shop (fabricator) that they know of in your area and talk to them. Make sure to ask about the materials they will be using and spacing up off the floor, etc. If you don't like their answers, move on to the next shop.

Good luck.

• 3 months later...

Fatboxes have a great reputation, and they have a strong following. I think you are really going to like the sound you are going to get from that. Post pics of the box and your install when you can. It'll be interesting to see the finished product.

Fatboxes have a great reputation, and they have a strong following. I think you are really going to like the sound you are going to get from that. Post pics of the box and your install when you can. It'll be interesting to see the finished product.

That's great to hear, as I just randomly found them on web. Everythings going good, except the cost of the carpet from Malibu seemed pricey. I paid like $140 for dealer cost for just 4x1 yards. I ordered extra in case I needed it. But at least it is the exact color/carpet as my boat, I could have pd $50 for carpet but wanted exact match. Then they messed up and shipped carpet to my house (instead of to fatbox) and I pd $40 for 3 day delivery to fatbox. Oh well.......

Edited by JoeMama

Do they have enclosures premade for lsvs or do they custom make them.i am wanting to put a 12 under the steering wheel area.and if they have those premade that would be sweet.

Build your own, save the leg area by staying with the original foot panel angle, it is not that difficult and 1/4 to 1/3rd the price

Small Box fits 247

676850d81b15412050e6da815cecabd2.jpg1eba1a5e1b3aa847cfa4cd542303bd1b.jpgf165d9f50be83f3120cb05e78be130be.jpg

Larger box fits 23LSV

7e2418cc3475f6ebbc5be282fa8114d0.jpg99f6de19faabe29c9de437500bf39b5d.jpg

Edited by JAXONBOATS

That's great to hear, as I just randomly found them on web. Everythings going good, except the cost of the carpet from Malibu seemed pricey. I paid like $140 for dealer cost for just 4x1 yards. I ordered extra in case I needed it. But at least it is the exact color/carpet as my boat, I could have pd $50 for carpet but wanted exact match. Then they messed up and shipped carpet to my house (instead of to fatbox) and I pd $40 for 3 day delivery to fatbox. Oh well.......

I hate stuff like that...make sure you post some pics. First time I've heard of this company...

I thought about building my own, but too busy and way too much time to try to save $200 or so. Plus on my 23 ft, I don't need any extra foot room so the standard boxes work for me.

If you add up all the time to determine the cut sizes, go to home depot, get all the material, and do all the work it must be at least 6 hours (probably more). I am sure its fun though, but with my little time now with 4 and 6 yr old, and fixing my trans and stereo noise issues.....I needed a break.

Although, if I needed a custom box done, then yeah probably do myself.

• 7 years later...
On 3/2/2012 at 10:21 AM, Malibuzer said:

I can ask my local guy. He has a bunch of premade boxes that are built for each model. I will pm you details if you want? And the bioxes are actually hidden behind the factory kick plate.

Malibuzer. Is your local sub guy still in business? I would like to get his contact information. I am trying to get a custom box made that fits under the helm and is hidden behind the factory kick plate. Thanks!

honestly sub boxes are very easy to build, especially one that is not ported (sealed).  I would never build a sub box for a boat that is not ported.  When you port a box you just need to know technical requirements of the sub.  Mostly all sub manufacturers tell you the exact inside space requirement, port diameter and length requirement.  I always use this site but there is so much DIY on the net for this...

http://www.bcae1.com/spboxnew2.htm

It seems like a lot of the boxes in these boats are sealed. hawaiianstyln, can you explain why ported? I was under the assumption that a ported box needs to be much larger. I am trying to not give up very much footwell space under the helm.

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, sambo0012 said:

It seems like a lot of the boxes in these boats are sealed. hawaiianstyln, can you explain why ported? I was under the assumption that a ported box needs to be much larger. I am trying to not give up very much footwell space under the helm.

Any number of factors could be why you might find more sealed then ported. Although you can run any woofer in any enclosure alignment, some woofers do perform best in one type over another. Sealed enclosures are typically smaller then a ported enclosure for the same woofer. Sealed is easier to design and more forgiving, though its still a tuned enclosure even though its sealed. Small changes in volume can make a noticeable difference. A sealed enclosure can typically be assembled faster then a ported, in which you have to assemble the inner port walls. The pros of a ported, is the additional leverage with additional amp wattage. 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, sambo0012 said:

not to steer away from the topic but have you upgraded your seat to the 4" rise you can buy?  Before I did that, my feet would automatically stretch out underneath the helm while driving.  After the 4" riser upgrade, not so much.  So adding a large sub box underneath the driver side helm with the 4" riser makes a big difference.  Well, for me, 5' 7" :lol:

https://www.ebay.com/i/174109802039?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=174109802039&targetid=871898221876&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9016905&poi=&campaignid=9250096017&mkgroupid=99212158212&rlsatarget=pla-871898221876&abcId=1145977&merchantid=6296724&gclid=EAIaIQobChMInYWB0rrg5wIVC18NCh0kIgTdEAQYASABEgJxUPD_BwE

Edited by hawaiianstyln