Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Volume Control

CincyVLX

So this year I have a lot of upgrades on the list, and tower speakers/stereo system didn't make the cut.

However, I am interested in purchasing a volume control for the tower speakers. I have searched the forums and apparently the HSE box has been discontinued, and the Boost Box is $190?

Maybe this is me being frugal, but is there a cheaper alternative that does the same thing? $190 seems excessive just to control the volume of the stereo in reference to the engine's rpm speed.

I'm kind of a noob when it comes to stereo systems. Maybe I'm missing something?

Just fyi... The boost box is not based off of engine rpm. It's based off the plane of the boat. The HSE RVC was based off of rpm's thus giving it a faster response time.

I was playing around with a $3 app for my phone that would do the same thing. GPS speed based. Not real smooth but better than $190. So long as your playing music through your phone.

Is that app working for you guys? Just wondering.

I tested it out in my car last night on the way home from work. It seems to work great and is very responsive!

Is that app working for you guys? Just wondering.

Ruff, it's awesome. It's a lot more responsive than the boost box. I use it snowboarding and it's really neat there because it will totally crank the tunes when I'm moving and then drop the volume when I stop, get on the lift, etc.

It's not perfect. It only works on music on the phone, so it won't control volume on pandora, for instance. It also needs to be "on top," so you can't switch to a different ap while you are using it. Well you can switch, but then you lose speed based volume control (music will continue to play, but it won't be speed controlled). But for $0.99, those are pretty small quibbles.

Oh, and it works with bluetooth too. So if you use one of those new exile bt pucks or the more proletarian (and less expensive) Clarion BLT 370 like I use, the phone will play wirelessly and control volume based on your speed.

blt370.jpg

it WON'T work to control volume if your hookup to the headunit is through the dock connector.

isimple-is76.jpg

Edited by shawndoggy

I downloaded the "lite" free version first to test it, worked great in the car so I went ahead and paid the whopping $.99 to get rid of the ads and have the ability to make different profiles. Seems like an awesome deal! I plan on plugging it directly into the aux on my eq.

since I haven't tried it on the boat, im wondering if you can set the range of speed in any way? Like from 0-25mph? Or am I overthinking it? It may just take some adjusting of the volumes but it seems like it doesn't get a whole lot louder from 0-25 while driving in the car...plan on lake testing it sunday.

Edited by t a

If you have a android phone check out Media Volume Control. It should be Free. :Tease3:

Edited by Bradley Thornton
martinarcher

If you have a android phone check out Media Volume Control. It should be Free. :Tease3:

Same with Driving Volume Control, it's also free. I use it snowboarding and on the boat with the EVO. Works like a champ. Rockon.gif