Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Soooo Close To Ice Out

foiler1

Swappin email with a buddy of mine on Diamond Lake today. It's been pretty windy here the last couple days & it sounds like it's making their ice melt as we speak. Plus it's pushing their docks around quite a bit. I'm not sure why, but it appears most of them decided to keep quite a bit of their docks out on the lake this year. Some sections are pulled in to the shore but not all of it. So as the wind is pushing the ice around, he had to get out there & cut the ice up into sections so it could move without tearing up the docks. Pretty crazy.

diamond20122.jpg

diamond20121.jpg

diamond20123.jpg

Apparently the neighbor isn't too concerned about the ice haulin his old truck out in the water. Looks like he's using the winch to hold the dock in place. :crazy:

Guess it'll be time to get the Malibu out soon enough!!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slayer

• Bill_AirJunky

• Sixball

• tvano

Fair enough Bill, some of them are still "dry as a bone". Lake Travis now sports an island large enough to land single engine aircraft on, bring the rain!

BTW, I said it was warm, I didn't say we had water. :cry:

Hope you guys in Texas are getting some of this rain. My lake is now at +3' and with 70's for the weekend forcast this should be the start. I actually hope the lake goes down a bit to reduce the floaters.

I kicked off the 2012 season today.

The earliest we have ever got in and skied.

First ski in a shorty. In Michigan in March . :crazy:

The Ice went out one week ago and the water is 69. air 83

I have been in a swim suite since I got back from our cabin last Sat. Well more then one. :lol:

I can feel my arms but its a good thing.

It's been 80 up here. Update on my note above, lake must have opened last night. I drove by 6 bays today and part of the main lake and there was no ice to be seen.

When I left for work on Monday morning, ice covered Spring Park Bay, when I got home, it was all gone. Looks like Smith and Brown bays on Lake Minnetonka have just a little bit of ice on the north edges. Time to get the dock in!

Edited by Jeff247

Sixball...is that a misprint on the water temp? If not, that is crazy...must be a submerged volcano under your lake.

Likewise, I got out on the local river this evening w/ a few buddies....pretty much unheard of to ski in these parts in March. Air close to 80, water close to 40....drysuit. Anyway, the muscles are awake, and I leaked out 4+ months of bodily rust buildup.

One more day of exceptionally warm weather should finish off the ice at the lake (1 hr north of me).

Looking forward to waking up in pain tomorrow....YES...the season has begun.

Sixball...is that a misprint on the water temp? If not, that is crazy...must be a submerged volcano under your lake.

Likewise, I got out on the local river this evening w/ a few buddies....pretty much unheard of to ski in these parts in March. Air close to 80, water close to 40....drysuit. Anyway, the muscles are awake, and I leaked out 4+ months of bodily rust buildup.

One more day of exceptionally warm weather should finish off the ice at the lake (1 hr north of me).

Looking forward to waking up in pain tomorrow....YES...the season has begun.

I cant ever remember weather close to this warm in March, and we have never had ice out this early. We made it out tonite for a bit after work, My son braved the 46deg water, 58deg air in a farmer jon shorty barefoot wetsuit, and went slalom skiing, after him and my girlfriends son tubed for a while, (I was nice and didn't dump them) He was very cold and got in the rear locker as soon as he got out to get warm, but he skied in a wet suit in MARCH in Maine!! we actually had 80degs here during mid day, unheard of!

martinarcher

We got out tonight. I spent time on the wakeboard, surfboard, and slalom ski. All night with no wetsuit or anything! The water was warm enough when I swam to the boat that I didn't bother wrestling with it. Everyone in the boat including the girls rode without a suit, just trunks or bikinis with a life jacket. This is not only the earliest date we've been on the water, but the warmest first day out as well. Air was 82 and the water temp was 45 at the outflow of the dam, but I would guess 55ish where we were skiing (surface temp). I'm blown away!

We got out tonight. I spent time on the wakeboard, surfboard, and slalom ski. All night with no wetsuit or anything! The water was warm enough when I swam to the boat that I didn't bother wrestling with it. Everyone in the boat including the girls rode without a suit, just trunks or bikinis with a life jacket. This is not only the earliest date we've been on the water, but the warmest first day out as well. Air was 82 and the water temp was 45 at the outflow of the dam, but I would guess 55ish where we were skiing (surface temp). I'm blown away!

That's amazing that it's been so warm. I was planning on getting out this weekend in Akron. Are you telling me getting a drysuit was a waste for this year? :)

I kicked off the 2012 season today.

The earliest we have ever got in and skied.

First ski in a shorty. In Michigan in March . :crazy:

The Ice went out one week ago and the water is 69. air 83

I have been in a swim suite since I got back from our cabin last Sat. Well more then one. :lol:

I can feel my arms but its a good thing.

How in the world can the water warm up that fast? Is your lake really shallow? Nuke plant?

No miss print! I have never seen the lake warm this fast but it does warm fast. No the lake is not very shallow. It runs 20 25 feet. The lake is fed by two major rivers but our side the river is fed from shallow swamp lands and the water is warm when it gets to the lake. Also have a smaller lake above us that is shallow. I am on the side being fed by the Tobacco River.

No miss print! I have never seen the lake warm this fast but it does warm fast. No the lake is not very shallow. It runs 20 25 feet. The lake is fed by two major rivers but our side the river is fed from shallow swamp lands and the water is warm when it gets to the lake. Also have a smaller lake above us that is shallow. I am on the side being fed by the Tobacco River.

I know for sure my lake is no where near 69*. That's pretty darn fantastic for March here in Michigan.

I'm going to check my lake temperature tonight. I'd guess it's easily in the 60s too. I put a section on dock in on Tuesday night, up to my waist for 30 minutes and wasn't cold.

lake chemung water temps yesterday were showing 65° and whitmore lake was indicating 67° at 7:15 this morning for sets on absolute glass.

beautiful tequila sunrise. there just isn't a better way to start the day then sets on glass.

Wow! Those water temps surprise me. Great news nonetheless. I'm not going to have the bu in the water until at least next weekend. Still need to do the tune up (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, belt, fuel filters) and get the lift in the water. It's killing me....I would love to be out getting in a couple glass sets in the AM. Problem is it's usually dark when I get to work. That's slowly changing though.

Wow! Those water temps surprise me. Great news nonetheless. I'm not going to have the bu in the water until at least next weekend. Still need to do the tune up (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, belt, fuel filters) and get the lift in the water. It's killing me....I would love to be out getting in a couple glass sets in the AM. Problem is it's usually dark when I get to work. That's slowly changing though.

holler if/when you are ready to play hooky and we can sneek out for a quick set before you head to work.

i'm always up for dawn patrol.

Saw some crazy bugger skiing in a dry suit the other day behind a sportser on Wood Lake here in BC. Was running the course too. Beautiful day but it was still in the high 40s!

holler if/when you are ready to play hooky and we can sneek out for a quick set before you head to work.

i'm always up for dawn patrol.

Thanks. I may take you up on that once I figure out exactly how to get through the course. Still a bit of a novice here.

Dammer Summer is over, 12+ hours below freezing tonight and 9 or 10 last night. My boat is getting extra care this week to keep it warm on the lift!

Lows in mid 20s Hi today 42 Well now we are back to what a Michigander might expect. :(

Water temp is dropping like a rock It was back at 60 deg yesterday. Time to get the Dry Suit out.

Great day snowskiing at Schweitzer on Saturday... couple inches of new snow & temps in the high 20s, partially sunny & great visibility.

Then brought the boat home from storage Sunday morning. No obvious issues with it. Batteries' charge is up thanks to the Guest dual bank charger. Engine woke right up first turn of the key. Ordered a new center ballast pump & it's on it's way.

Rode the dirt bike for a couple hours Sunday afternoon..... took the dogs with me & ran their silly little asses right off.

Then took the paddleboard out for the first time Sunday evening..... air temps in the high 50s, water temps in the low 40s, wearing dry pants & a rash guard..... 3 miles took me about 35 minutes.... not my best time but not bad for the first day out.

Now it's raining like crazy & not supposed to stop for a week.

Great day snowskiing at Schweitzer on Saturday... couple inches of new snow & temps in the high 20s, partially sunny & great visibility.

Then brought the boat home from storage Sunday morning. No obvious issues with it. Batteries' charge is up thanks to the Guest dual bank charger. Engine woke right up first turn of the key. Ordered a new center ballast pump & it's on it's way.

Rode the dirt bike for a couple hours Sunday afternoon..... took the dogs with me & ran their silly little asses right off.

Then took the paddleboard out for the first time Sunday evening..... air temps in the high 50s, water temps in the low 40s, wearing dry pants & a rash guard..... 3 miles took me about 35 minutes.... not my best time but not bad for the first day out.

Man, that's a great weekend.

We'd take a week of that rain. Good news for us, we've averaged about 5"+ for March which is up from this time last year. Lake Travis is still 40'+ "below full pool", so we need more of the wet stuff.

I can't convert to salt water nor do I care too, please bring the rain!

We'd take a week of that rain. Good news for us, we've averaged about 5"+ for March which is up from this time last year. Lake Travis is still 40'+ "below full pool", so we need more of the wet stuff.

I can't convert to salt water nor do I care too, please bring the rain!

Wow, and you guys are dry as a bone?? We're about to pass up a record for March rain...... 2.8". I think we're at 2.3" now & have rain everyday in the forecast. :crazy:

I guess it works. Get it out now & be done with it.

Wow, and you guys are dry as a bone?? We're about to pass up a record for March rain...... 2.8". I think we're at 2.3" now & have rain everyday in the forecast. :crazy:

I guess it works. Get it out now & be done with it.

Yep, it's as dry as a popcorn fart, as my grandfather would say. I have a friend that will take his boat just about anywhere, so we'll just have to go out with him more. I'd sell our boat before I put it in salt water... but that's just me. :biggrin:

I'd sell our boat before I put it in salt water... but that's just me. :biggrin:

I don't get that at all. I've had a great time riding in Puget Sound in WA, Marine Stadium or the Delta in CA, or the Gulf near Tampa. I know there is a big group of riders in the brackish water near Houston. You definitely have to prepare for it. But it's not the end of the world. :unsure: