Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Soooo Close To Ice Out

foiler1

We were on the ice yesterday playing with about 8-8.5 inches of fairly good ice, Thats the thinnest we have ever had at this time of year, Its usually thick and mealy/slushy ice for a month that you cant do anything on. Its broken up around the shore, and with forecast temps in the high 40s and low 50s this week and two days of rain, with no nites below freezing, the ice should be gone soon. We have never had ice out in march that I can remember. Shooting for Ice racing and Skiing in the same month!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slayer

• Bill_AirJunky

• Sixball

• tvano

Middle Straits The earliest was Feb. 26th about 15 years ago.

Where going try for next Saturday before the boat show.

Feb 26th !!!!! You da man. :thumbup:

I was hoping to get down to the boat show but we have some damage at our cabin up north from the big snow storm a week and a half ago.

The ice will be gone by morning so as soon as I get back the lift and docks are going in. with any luck we will be skiing next weekend.

Ice has been gone for almost a month now & about all I've done is get the dock repairs done. Sounds like they will go out on the water around the end of the month (we have it done by the pros, 17 boat slips are too much).

Then to cap it off we're heading up to Schweitzer Mt on a snowski trip for the next 4 days..... & it's dumpin snow in a big way up there. :Doh:

Enjoying a holiday on the big island right now. No ice here. Spent the morning surfing, not behind a boat for the first time ever! Awesome!!

So close now. If there wasn't ice chunks / various debris still floating around I'd be tempted to break this ice to put in:

IMG_1029.jpg

So many boats on our lake today and saw barefooters and skiers. Time to get things going. This is pretty early in the year for Northern Indiana.

Just got done putting my docks and lift in and also did one of my ski buds docks and lift. one more cote of wax and a start on the fake a lake and I will be good to go. Might get a ski in this week. I should be out working on the boat now but need a brake. Oh so close!!!!!!

It's amazing that two weekends ago I was riding the deepest snow I've been in in WI in years after a 20" snowfall, and now the ice is nearly out. It was 82 here the past two days. Lakes are going to warm up nice and quick with the extended forecast too. We're not supposed to have temps anywhere near normal in the next ten days or so.

Here in Pittsburgh we have a record warm March....we actually got out yesterday on St Patty's day and footed in 50 degree water and 77 degree air temps.....footed again today in 52 degree water and 65 degree air.....earliest EVER in my life here in Pittsburgh.....it was Soooooooooo good to be back in...or should i say,,,,"ON" the water again....

We put the boat lift in on Saturday. Swimming in the lake with wet suits. 6 year old was wading/swimming without..."Daddy, can you get out the snorkeling gear?" (I did not). Unbelievable.

It's amazing that two weekends ago I was riding the deepest snow I've been in in WI in years after a 20" snowfall, and now the ice is nearly out. It was 82 here the past two days. Lakes are going to warm up nice and quick with the extended forecast too. We're not supposed to have temps anywhere near normal in the next ten days or so.

Yep, two weeks ago here I went for a rip and rode on Lake Minnetonka. As of yesterday at least 3 bays are confirmed to be completely open (via my friends) and the rest is only a little rain, some strong wind and a little heat away from following. Supposed to thunderstorm today which might be enough. Put my sleds in storage yesterday and grabbed the boat.

Drove by Cocalalla & Diamond on the way up to Schweitzer this weekend. Both still frozen completely..... although there were not any ice shanties to be seen at all so it must be thin enough to scare the hardcores off the ice. :crazy:

It's been 80 up here. Update on my note above, lake must have opened last night. I drove by 6 bays today and part of the main lake and there was no ice to be seen.

planting the course today. woohoo!

planted.

had a senior moment and forgot to pack my dry suit.

borrowed one for the wet work while planting the course.

skied the course NAKED (well, other than a swim suit and life preserver).

mid 70° air temps. mid 60° water temp.

not too bad for mid march! what at treat.

So I guess you don't want to hear about out 80 degree weather down here?

Sure, tell us all about it. And the next time your lake is dry as a bone, we'll be sure to return the favor & let you hear about what it's like to have water.

planted.

That's great tvano. Were you on Whitmore? I spent the day polishing and waxing. Lift goes in 2 weeks from this past Saturday.

planted.

An 8 ball course! Oh I see you cover two. :biggrin:

Worked on the boat most of the day. Also put the neighbors lift and dock in. Now I am just sitting on the porch taking a brake looking at the lake.

Sure, tell us all about it. And the next time your lake is dry as a bone, we'll be sure to return the favor & let you hear about what it's like to have water.

Fair enough Bill, some of them are still "dry as a bone". Lake Travis now sports an island large enough to land single engine aircraft on, bring the rain!

BTW, I said it was warm, I didn't say we had water. :cry:

Edited by Hammertime

I am in !!!! Spent most of the day getting the boat finished, dropped it in late afternoon. Just finished putting cars and trailer back in the garage Lift cover on and nothing left for a quick ski. Ski season starts tomorrow barring some sort of problem.

I've lived in Ohio my whole life (33 years tomorrow), and can never recall weather this nice, this early. I was just amazed that last Saturday we were eating dinner at 9pm outside on the patio in t-shirts in mid-March. Exactly a year ago I was on that same patio running the snow blower. Amazing!

I think I will start prepping the boat the first week of April if this holds out.