Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Your Opinions On An O'brien Jr. Siege Slalom Ski

rushman

Hello everyone,

I found a new Obrien Jr. Siege slalom ski (however I believe at least a few yrs old) at a local ski shop that is going out of business. It is a 61 or 62 inch with an adjustable front binding with a velcro wrap system and a RTP. I want to get something for my 10 year old son, about 65 to 70 lbs soaking wet and is just beginning. He now "drops a ski" but wants to slalom this summer. My only kids skis are a set of Connelly super sports and they have been great to learn on but are lacking for slalom skiing. Anyways, I can pick this ski up for $200.00 tax in...What are your thoughts...good deal??good ski??? okay for my son???. Sorry for the questions but I am more a barefooter than a slalom skier. Thanks,

Kevin

That ski should work well and you can always swap out the bindings until he finds a type that he likes. For your sake, I hope that's not until he's on adult skis!! My daughter's journey was an expensive one for me (and it's not over). We have great times skiing together, though. Worth every penny. :)

My son used an earlier model year of that ski for 4 or 5 years and it worked well for him. Not sure about the binding you described. Our binding was a front lace up with a RTP. When he got serious about running the course he upgraded, but probably could have used that ski for another year or 2. I can't remember what I paid for the ski, but $200 sounds reasonable to me.

My daughter started on an HO judge 61". Like the Siege it was a great ski to get her going in the course. Once she started skiing over 28mph we upgraded . On ski it Again there is a good used Jr equipment section. The best money we ever spent was on a jr development camp !

Thanks guys,

I had a chance to go see this ski again and it has an O'brien 890 toe-adjustable front binding with a velcro wrap around the heal portion and a RTP that is adjustable with velcro wrap as well. The 890 binding would allow easy on and off and would accomodate for growing feet. I think I might pull the trigger on this ski for 200.00 bucks. From what I can tell that's a pretty good deal for a new ski. I looked on ski-it-again site but will "re-try" it because I didn't realize it had a junior section. Thanks for you help guys. If you need any barefoot questions answered feel free to contact me.

Kevin

Barefoot Boom is on order. Kids want to test it out over spring break in April. We may have a few questions after that adventure.

Barefoot Boom is on order. Kids want to test it out over spring break in April. We may have a few questions after that adventure.

Thats great to hear. The "swing" is an excellent teaching aid/way to introduce people (especially kids) to getting on their feet. You tube some stuff and you may get some pointers before you head out. Driving is everything for barefooting. Also a barefoot suit and padded shorts are most beneficial...but give it a try on Spring Break and email with any questions. Since you're from Cincinnati, remember the "famous" quote from Johnny Fever, "Speed Kills, Del"! You don't need to drive like a maniac. Have fun,

Kevin