Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Motor Seized?

I'm in need of some help here so anyone with the knowledge please lend a hand. I have a 2005 wakesetter vlx with a 383 hammerhead. It overheated and the alarm went off indicating that it was reaching max operating temperature. The boat shut off after about 5 minutes at idle. I wasn't able to start it and so I trailered it and took it home. I'm positive the starter is engaging. I removed the water pump and found it needed to be replaced. I bought the parts, took out the old one which was torn up. Before installing the new pump, I decided to try taking out the plugs and turning it over. Still no luck...I put 2 allen keys in the end of the pully and tried turning the bottom pully...still no luck.. I asked the service department if they ever seen one seize and they said no. Is there an automatic lock up or something if the boat shuts down by itself? What should I try?

<<<The boat shut off after about 5 minutes at idle.>>>

....if this statement is accurate, meaning the engine shut off by itself after 5 minutes then yes, it definitely seized.

If you shut it off 5 after 5 minutes at idle, AFTER the overheat alarm, then yes, still a really good chance of it seized up.

Sorry -

Peter

Ouch. Sorry to hear.

Couple things strike me as odd though. If the overheat alarm is going off, why keep running it for 5 more minutes?

And is it really possible to turn over one of these engines with an allen key? Seems like a ratchet would be about the smallest tool that could do it.... a 10" or 12" long one at that. If the plugs are out, it will definitely be easier. But even a seized water pump & a tight belt can hold it back quite a bit.

Jensemo, where are ou located? I see its Alberta but if you are close to Wizard Lake run it by and have Steve or Randy take a quick peek. They will be able to hopefully give you some good news! Otherwise at least its at the dealer to be fixed.

Good luck,

Trent

I am not sure I followed this 100%.

Are you saying the alarm went off and then you continued to idle it for 5 minutes? Not sure what you meant here.

If you did idle it for another 5 minutes after the alarm went off then it is most likely seized and you learned a very valuble and costly lesson.

The other thing I am not sure if I follow is that you said you tried to turn the engine with two allen keys? Its going to take way more leverage than you can get with an allen key to turn an engine....not sure I follow you.

I am with the other guys, take it to a dealer.

I assumed that at idle in the water that the boat would cool off...never thought that the water pump was shredded...so the reason i left it runiing was i thought it was going to cool off...

....if this statement is accurate, meaning the engine shut off by itself after 5 minutes then yes, it definitely seized.

If you shut it off 5 after 5 minutes at idle, AFTER the overheat alarm, then yes, still a really good chance of it seized up.

Sorry -

Peter

I am not sure I followed this 100%.

Are you saying the alarm went off and then you continued to idle it for 5 minutes? Not sure what you meant here.

If you did idle it for another 5 minutes after the alarm went off then it is most likely seized and you learned a very valuble and costly lesson.

The other thing I am not sure if I follow is that you said you tried to turn the engine with two allen keys? Its going to take way more leverage than you can get with an allen key to turn an engine....not sure I follow you.

I am with the other guys, take it to a dealer.

There are 2 allen key heads at the end of the pully holding the pully on...unstead or removing the water-pump housing i just put in 2 Allen keys and that gave me some leverage...other than that...there is really no way of getting any leverage.

I am about 7 hrs drive from the Wizard Lake Dealer in Alberta...Was hoping that I could diagnose without the long trip..

I am about 7 hrs drive from the Wizard Lake Dealer in Alberta...Was hoping that I could diagnose without the long trip..

Where are you at? They have lots of other service centers that could look at it for you.

The only way to turn the engine over manually is really by using some type of torque wrench or breaker bar on the large nut on the crank.

My guess is it's not seized. At least if all other things were ok with the motor. Did it have oil? Which water pump failed? Some gearhead in the area needs to take a look at it. Make sure the starter is not stuck, holding the engine back, same with the alternator, raw water pump etc. Make sure they aren't frozen, holding the engine back.

Let us know,

Steve B.

martinarcher

I'm with Peter and Ruff. If you let it run for 5 minutes with your over temp alarm sounding you most likely have a seized motor. Just keep in mind, no combustion = cool. When in doubt always shut a motor down if it is hot or it doesn't sound right. I also agree, you can't roll a motor with any allen key I've seen unless it's connected to a ratchet or breaker bar, but if your starter is engaging and the plugs are out and the motor doesn't turn....she's locked up. Cry.gif Sorry man.

I'm in need of some help here so anyone with the knowledge please lend a hand. I have a 2005 wakesetter vlx with a 383 hammerhead. It overheated and the alarm went off indicating that it was reaching max operating temperature. The boat shut off after about 5 minutes at idle. I wasn't able to start it and so I trailered it and took it home. I'm positive the starter is engaging. I removed the water pump and found it needed to be replaced. I bought the parts, took out the old one which was torn up. Before installing the new pump, I decided to try taking out the plugs and turning it over. Still no luck...I put 2 allen keys in the end of the pully and tried turning the bottom pully...still no luck.. I asked the service department if they ever seen one seize and they said no. Is there an automatic lock up or something if the boat shuts down by itself? What should I try?

(

( I'm positive the starter is engaging) pull the starter and test it , then try to turn it over with a braker bar..

Edited by CAPTAIN

(

( I'm positive the starter is engaging) pull the starter and test it , then try to turn it over with a braker bar..

:plus1:

i've seen the case a couple of times where the starter and flywheel didn't mesh properly and caused the gears to bind.

nothing moved until the starter was dropped to allow that binding to release.

not likely but it's three bolts(1@neg. battery and 2@starter). easy.

edited typo

Edited by tvano

Before you try too hard to turn that motor over, disconnect all the belts to eliminate any of the accessories as the problem. Make sure they all spin easily once disconnected (water pump, alternator, raw water, etc.)

Good luck.

In the end you need to have a good look at the engine. If it ran that long after the alarm you will likely have more problems. Warped heads, scuffed cylinders and pistons.

you need to go through the whole engine. Rod and crank bearings cam bearings.

you need to check your exhaust system for delaminated hoses.

If you are not a mechanic or have good knowledge of mechanics and tools you need to take it to someone who is and let them know what happened.

You may be looking at a new long block.

Sorry I have nothing to add but have a question... If the motor is seized does insurance cover the repairs?

Considering he ran it for 5 minutes after the alarms were sounding my guess would be "No". Probably depends on the policy / company.

Hate to say it, but i think you are hearing it from everybody else all ready. From the sounds of it that motor is done, sorry.

Hammerheads are sensitive to overheats enough with their limited slip piston rings and aluminum parts they can't take the heat and melt down a lot easier.

Hope everybody else on the forum takes note to how important it is:

• When your engine over heats, you shut it down and DO NOT RESTART THE ENGINE until it has cooled back down (below operating temp).
  • Servicing your impeller Every 100 hours or annually IS IMPORTANT. Whether it is a standard neoprene impeller or a globe, follow the service interval.

-Paul

Sorry I have nothing to add but have a question... If the motor is seized does insurance cover the repairs?

Insurance does not cover anything mechanical....especially stupidity.

I find it really hard to believe that it would seize...it never ran above Idle...the fluids all look fine..I run only synthetic oil..and I have seen engines run at high rpm for a long time and very hot before anything happened...and as a note...there was no squealing or shreeking sounds of any kind????? Seems odd to me!

If you are going to try and turn it over by hand, remember to also pull the plugs, and all belts.

Of course, by hand, I mean with a torque or breaker bar/wrench setup. Now, that front bolt on the balancer MAY be reverse threaded. Maybe somone on here can confirm.

No biggie if it is. If it is, it will try to un-loosen as you try to turn engine over by hand. Just change wrench direction and test.

No key's in boat, make sure battery's are switched off, in neutral.

Let us know,

Steve B.

If you are going to try and turn it over by hand, remember to also pull the plugs, and all belts.

Of course, by hand, I mean with a torque or breaker bar/wrench setup. Now, that front bolt on the balancer MAY be reverse threaded. Maybe somone on here can confirm.

No biggie if it is. If it is, it will try to un-loosen as you try to turn engine over by hand. Just change wrench direction and test.

No key's in boat, make sure battery's are switched off, in neutral.

Let us know,

Steve B.

The harmonic balancer is a standard thread, if you tighten down that bolt more sometimes it can throw off all your pulley alignments so I try to avoid going off of that bolt. I've done the rubber strap wrench around the balancer with a cheater bar before and it worked good.

-Paul