Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wedge Corrosion - Can It Be Repaired?

Hi, all. I took the swim platform off of my 2000 SS Lxi and was surprised to see that one o the "arms" on my wedge is corroded almost all the way through. What kind of metal are these made from? Is it plausible to hire a welder to patch it, or am I stuck buying a replacement? If the latter, anyone have a part number or link?

Thanks!

Hi, all. I took the swim platform off of my 2000 SS Lxi and was surprised to see that one o the "arms" on my wedge is corroded almost all the way through. What kind of metal are these made from? Is it plausible to hire a welder to patch it, or am I stuck buying a replacement? If the latter, anyone have a part number or link?

Thanks!

Wow...that's unreal. I think they are a cast material so welding would be tough. You could take it to a local shop and let them have a go at it. Not much to loose. If you do change it, look for a stainless floating wedge. Better performance and they are stainless so they look good and last for the long run. Thumbup.gif

I've taken mine several places and they've all said that welding is not an option, they can do it but it will fail due to the pressure the wedge puts on itself. I think its made out of the same material props are made of. Let me know if your interested in selling the "good" arm on your wedge :thumbup:

FYI mine was already broke in half...

Edited by t a

I've taken mine several places and they've all said that welding is not an option, they can do it but it will fail due to the pressure the wedge puts on itself. I think its made out of the same material props are made of. Let me know if your interested in selling the "good" arm on your wedge :thumbup:

FYI mine was already broke in half...

:plus1: I thought they were nibral (nickel, brass, aluminum) as well. Either way I've heard stories of welding on these arms and it blowing up, I think wakegirl has a story on that, maybe she'll chime in. Nearly corroded all the way through?! Where are you boating? Ever heard of sacrificial anodes?

I just got the boat last fall. It had only one owner and was trailered - use almost exclusively for skiing in CT lakes and rivers. "Almost all the way through" might be a slight overstatement, but suffice if to so it's on its last leg.

So it sounds like I need a new wedge. I'll bet those aren't cheap. Oh, well. Not much about owning a ski boat is cheap! LOL

Thanks for the replies. At least I know not to bother with a welder.

I recommend getting a floating wedge. At the time I bought mine you could find them on ebay (aren't there now and not sure how to buy one). They are direct bolt on replacements. Check the link in my sig to see how easy it is to replace and a mod you can do off the bat to improve the action in the pins.

And you're right, they aren't cheap. I seem to remember the whole shebang being 1k or so. Break Out Another Thousand :cry:

• 1 year later...

I have this EXACT problem with a boat from CT. The bracket on the transom of the boat is corroded to hell. I'm sure it perfectly strong, but looks like crap.

The arms look good, the foil is really corroded too.

planning to grind down and paint foil. might have local fab shop make a SS foil....we'll see how it looks when painted.

Anyone know where I can just get the foil?

Edited by Arctic Slalom