Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

G3 Tower Mirror

Fman

I didn't say that, but it's his design isn't it? He's aware it's been a problem isn't he? And yet he's still selling Malibu a product he knows isn't up to snuff and putting his company's name on it...

I agree, why not just discontinue the plastic handle and only sell it with stainless. Seems like a pretty easy fix to guarantee nothing will break.

I guess the question would be would you guys be willing to spend an additional $75 for that stainless handle. Don't know what it would really cost but based on the numbers thrown out there on the plastic handle probably not to far off. If malibu wanted him to change it I'm sure he would.

I didn't say that, but it's his design isn't it? He's aware it's been a problem isn't he? And yet he's still selling Malibu a product he knows isn't up to snuff and putting his company's name on it...

I wouldn't call one customer a year a "problem" in the grand scheme.

This is interesting... I just got off the phone with Scott who owns Samson. I quickly realized I was going to make no progress on them just sending me the part for free. He said Malibu orders the boats like this to save money on the stainless handle, and Samson has recommended the purchase the mirrors with stainless handles. Malibu apparently tries to keep there costs down, although when you are buying a $65k boat, seems like another $40 for the handle would be a no brainer. Scott says they have maybe one call a year with customer complaints about the mirror coming loose, the plastic handles work fine.

Basically, he explained its Malibus fault the mirror is coming loose because they elect not to upgrade to the billet handle. He said I got a great deal on the handle because it would have been at least $50 from Malibu. I basically decided not to argue his point, take the $16 hit and move on.... I will say, he did mention if this did not correct the problem they would take the entire mirror back and find out what is causing the issue, which I did appreciate.

LOL, If I would have just broken the handle they probably would have sent me a free stainless handle for replacement :)

Are there others on here who have experienced there mirror always coming loose? I am re-tightening 5-6 times a day on the water... easily. He also mentioned I should have been charged $600 for that mirror.... wow, it is a nice upgrade, but for $600 I would have a hard time spending that much $$$ for it.

Ok, Im done... I vented, now time to move on! :yahoo: ahhhh.... I do feel a lil' bit better.

Mine comes loose as well I purchased mine from Bakes. Dont break it off like mine did....then out comes the pliers to remove it. :crazy:

I'm kinda wondering if Fastenal or another hardware supplier somewhere has an alternative. Anyone know the technical term for these handles?

If you take off the handle and look on the underside of the handle the manufacturers name is right there. Then google the name and you will find the company ...this is what I had to do.

I wouldn't call one customer a year a "problem" in the grand scheme.

I have a hunch its more than one customer a year, there are already numerous people on this site who have experienced this problem. Some will just live with it, not say anything and keep tightening it and not pursue getting it repaired.

I have a hunch its more than one customer a year, there are already numerous people on this site who have experienced this problem. Some will just live with it, not say anything and keep tightening it and not pursue getting it repaired.

Looks like malibu should address the issue and fix the problem that they refuse to fix.

I feel like I need to defend Samson a little here... He machines the raw aluminum arm for Malibu Boats and Malibu does all the finish work and assembly for the mirror in house. If the machined arm was breaking then I would say you have a right to throw Samson under the bus and complain about his products but the fact of the matter this is a Malibu Boats tower accessory, not Samson.

Regarding the handle, Yes I've seen them break, enough where it is a issue? Not even close, I can think of two or three last year out of the 200+ mirrors we sold. Would Samson like that number to be zero? I'm sure they would. Would you pay more for a all stainless handle? I'm sure some would and most would not. (I know I would not on my own personal boat nor would I recommend it)

The main thing I wanted to get across was those people that are having issues with the Malibu Boats G3 mirrors, contact your Malibu Boat dealer or Malibu Boats for service / repair / warranty.

-Paul

I feel like I need to defend Samson a little here... He machines the raw aluminum arm for Malibu Boats and Malibu does all the finish work and assembly for the mirror in house. If the machined arm was breaking then I would say you have a right to throw Samson under the bus and complain about his products but the fact of the matter this is a Malibu Boats tower accessory, not Samson.

Regarding the handle, Yes I've seen them break, enough where it is a issue? Not even close, I can think of two or three last year out of the 200+ mirrors we sold. Would Samson like that number to be zero? I'm sure they would. Would you pay more for a all stainless handle? I'm sure some would and most would not. (I know I would not on my own personal boat nor would I recommend it)

The main thing I wanted to get across was those people that are having issues with the Malibu Boats G3 mirrors, contact your Malibu Boat dealer or Malibu Boats for service / repair / warranty.

-Paul

Thanks for the explanation. Just to clairfy, the issue here wasn't the handle breaking, it was that it constantly comes loose for some of us and need tighten it every time out. Nobody was blaming Samson soley here, in another post it was mentioned Samson was aware of the issue.

Thanks for the explanation. Just to clairfy, the issue here wasn't the handle breaking, it was that it constantly comes loose for some of us and need tighten it every time out. Nobody was blaming Samson soley here, in another post it was mentioned Samson was aware of the issue.

I understood that but I felt like others did not so a explanation that Samson is only a "machine shop" for Malibu Boats was needed since it is Malibu Boats design and assembly.

Do you take your mirror off often? If you do not i would suggest some blue loc-tite. It is easy to break loose but holds really well. If you take your mirror off and on a lot, one simple thing that works well is wrap the threads in a layer of Teflon tape. It will create a little more hold but allow you to take it on and off easier.

In all honesty, a stainless handle is not going to help at all in that situation, you are dealing with vibrations from the boat /tower that will be there no matter what. More importantly you just need to get the threads to stick.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

I actually had the same problem and did break my handle. I took it to the dealer and told them to fix it. Its a new boat, I paid a lot of money, and I dont expect this kind of stuff to happen. I also contacted Samson and told them what happened.

In the end, Samson sent me a new Stainless handle and the dealer replaced my entire mirror mechinism but replaced it with the plastic handle. Now I have both the plastic and Stainless Handle.

I sort of agree, if the stainless handle is only $16 when we call in, Malibu should be able to get a better price so is the extra few dollars worth the hassell to their customers?

Just had to order some zincs for another boat and added some of the vibra-tite stuff to the order. I use this on anything I don't want to vibrate loose and it works great. As I mentioned prior I have used it on several thumb screws that used to vibrate loose all the time and now they don't loosen up at all. I have not had to reapply it either even on my flag mount which I undo at least 30 to 40 times a year for the last three years. It is just like a nylock nut. The flag mount has a plastic thumb screw so you have to have something to keep the bolt from vibrating loose since you can't tighten too much without breaking the knob. I use two different mounts for the flag so it also eliminates worrying about the screw coming loose in the mount I am not using, I don't even tighten it the one without a flagpole in it. I have tried lots of different thread locks over the years and this is by far the best I have used for a situation where removing the bolt is necessary. It was designed to get wet and not come off the threads.

I would really be surprised if this stuff doesn't solve the problem people seem to be having with the mount.

I have the new stainless handle, I can already tell its going to be an improvement. You can definitely crank the mirror down much tighter than with the plastic handle. Will find out soon when out on the water.

If this does not help will be trying some thread goop on it.

Edited by Fman