Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2012 Vlx Build

suprmac

Speaking of motor options, would highly recommend nothing smaller than the Monsoon 350 with CAT-ETX. The CAT motor will burn cleaner and be much better for surfing, the CAT might be standard, not sure on this one. Not even sure if there is a smaller engine than the Monsoon 350????

Thanks to our brainiac gov't you must purchase a CAT engine in CA.

Dang....dressed to impress even on the boat!

It sure looks like you have a pretty good set of options for your new Bu! I'm looking forward to seeing it! Thumbup.gif

You don't know the half of it.. I will have to take a picture with her gal pals when I get the boat.

Cheers!

Suprmac,

Can you get the VLX without Maliview? My dealer told me it only comes with Maliview, you would have to go with the 21 V-ride to not get it.... maybe they have changed there options for 2012... I was just curious. If you are looking to save some substantial $$$, the V-ride is another option, no electronics and I believe the same hull as the VLX... so the wakes should be spot on. V-ride still has quad ballast and power wedge and the G3 Tower....

Also would recommend 4 wheel disc brakes, and spare tire on the trailer. It was only an extra $350 to the disc brakes and $150 for the spare tire on my trailer....

I do not know but just looked at my quote and Maliview is on the list.

I must have been confused with a bunch of the other build sheets I have been looking at but I can add that to my checklist since it is still within my budget.

In my experience OEM stuff gets quiet expensive to add later. For example we got the bimini last season and it was almost twice as much as when we ordered the boat.

For performance (and resale) I would recommend quad balast and power wedge. You'll most likely end up with an upgraded prop at some time, it's only around $100 more when you order.

For comfort we like our maliview (depth displays are a plus). We have both the 3 and 2 outlet heaters and they get used. Surprisingly enough the drivers seat heater has only been used once or twice. Same with the shower. The turndown exhaust is nice and a little quieter than the original straight. My kids love the rear seat remote and use it often. It looks good with the stereo package we got. Pop-up cleats are good to have.

Most other stuff such as pop-up light, billet glove box door, docking lights etc were waste of money for us. A lot of that depends on your situation and how you use your boat I guess.

Congrats on the new boat, you'll love the Vlx. We need some 2012 pics!

Great tip... I am definitely going to look into the prop even though it seems like a no-brainer.

I tried the boat builder application on Malibu.com and the site is down and so hopefully later I will see the options.

Thanks to both comments on this point!

You can get a front tank on a V-ride. Got a buddy that has it - just tell you dealer you will buy the boat if they will install a front tank.

?

The only way to install a bow tank would eb to cut out all the seating fiberglass...he did that just to get a bow tank?

You can get the VLX without the Maliview dash screen, but you can't get it without the MTC ignition screen. I would get the Maliview, it will help on resale as most people buying a VLX would expect to have it. Same for the bow ballast and power wedge as others have said.

I have been told that all the 2012 Wakesetters come with CATS standard now (including the $2k charge for it). The only exception being the supercharged LSA Caddy motor since it's over 550hp and can get an exemption. The base VLX motor is also now the Monsoon, no more LCR since it's not able to run CATS.

?

The only way to install a bow tank would eb to cut out all the seating fiberglass...he did that just to get a bow tank?

This is how they do it in the VLX, bow is a complete tank with a plastic cover that screws down over the tank. Seats sit flat on plastic cover...zero storage, which is a bummer.

This is how they do it in the VLX, bow is a complete tank with a plastic cover that screws down over the tank. Seats sit flat on plastic cover...zero storage, which is a bummer.

I'm familiar with design on the VLX but I don't think they cut out the fiberglass, I think they have another mold for the deck. Either way, it's one thing for the factory to do that kind of work, another entirely for a dealer to do so after assembly.

fman,

Are you saying you can't even get access to the area under the bow seats? I get that there's not storage under the bow filler cushion. But what about under the bow seats?

fman,

Are you saying you can't even get access to the area under the bow seats? I get that there's not storage under the bow filler cushion. But what about under the bow seats?

Under the seat cushions is a solid piece of plastic covering the bow screwed down. Under the plastic piece is a 400 lb hard tank. There is no storage at all in the bow of the vlx with hard tank.

Any extra weight (bags) you want to add will be sitting on top of the seat cushions.

Edited by Fman

fman,

Correct there is a smidgen of room between the edge of the front ballast tank and the hull but maybe 2" at best. The tank takes up the entire front area. To be honest w/ full load all day I have never needed any additional storage the bow tank is a must as in any boat.

IXFE,

Not sure I totally answered your question. You can get access to the front hard tank area by removing seat cushions and plastic platform. Not a huge task, just four screws that hold down the platform.

• 2 weeks later...

We just brought home our new 2012 VLX and we got ours with a white tower. I looks really good. Consider a colored tower.

With kids that age you may be interested in being able to record them wakeboarding. If you decide to spend the money on the "flo-cam" only do so if you are provided with the HD Flo-Cam which is available but you have to insist on getting that one rather than the standard flo cam. Standard flo cam ($2,000) has horrible video quality and a waste of money. That being said, I built a VLX recently and am thrilled I did so. I didn't get the heaters and haven't regretted that for a one second.

Long story short... I have passed on a Centurian SV230 and Epic 23V and now I am am getting ready to placing my order on a VLX. I have never owned a Mailbu before but cannot wait until I finish my contract. I have been reviewing build sheets online and some have this and some have that... does anyone have any recommendations or must haves for a new build?

I have two sons 11/13 who have been wake boarding for 3 years. I spend a lot of time on the water and pull all levels of wake boarders. I am curious about the front ballast , MaliView and the stereo options. If anyone has "the perfect build sheet" that would be the best. I am not Bill Gates and so I am trying to figure out what I really need and what is a nice to have.

Thank you in advance!

PS> I am aware of the Malibu "Touch Of Summer" incentive of $2k and so if anyone else knows of any other incentives I would appreciate that too.

Agree, that 350 monsoon is the perfect engine for this boat. I was going to get the 400 hammerhead and talked out of it and certainly glad that I was!

Speaking of motor options, would highly recommend nothing smaller than the Monsoon 350 with CAT-ETX. The CAT motor will burn cleaner and be much better for surfing, the CAT might be standard, not sure on this one. Not even sure if there is a smaller engine than the Monsoon 350????

Agree, that 350 monsoon is the perfect engine for this boat. I was going to get the 400 hammerhead and talked out of it and certainly glad that I was!

The 400 Hammerhead wasn't offered on your boat.

Whatever the next motor up was....... My buddy with an 07 VLX has the 400hp which is why I was considering the motor larger than the 350 monsoon and was talked out of the bigger one, which I am glad I was.

The 400 Hammerhead wasn't offered on your boat.

• 1 month later...

We signed our contract and the new VLX in on the schedule. Spray date 5/7 and so hopefully on the water before April. Cannot wait and all of my friends are already lining up for a few runs. Cheers and thanks for all the great advice.