Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2012 Vlx Build

suprmac

Long story short... I have passed on a Centurian SV230 and Epic 23V and now I am am getting ready to placing my order on a VLX. I have never owned a Mailbu before but cannot wait until I finish my contract. I have been reviewing build sheets online and some have this and some have that... does anyone have any recommendations or must haves for a new build?

I have two sons 11/13 who have been wake boarding for 3 years. I spend a lot of time on the water and pull all levels of wake boarders. I am curious about the front ballast , MaliView and the stereo options. If anyone has "the perfect build sheet" that would be the best. I am not Bill Gates and so I am trying to figure out what I really need and what is a nice to have.

Thank you in advance!

PS> I am aware of the Malibu "Touch Of Summer" incentive of $2k and so if anyone else knows of any other incentives I would appreciate that too.

Edited by suprmac

The front ballast is a must and not easy to install afterwards = must; Maliview why cool not necessary compared the wedge and doesn't affect the performance of the boat. I'd recommend sending in your speakers (interior) and have Malibu install them, but don't order any stereo install imho from the factory as it can be done afterwards for much less and less complications. This saves money up front and you can build it as you go. want to extend the season? Get a heater and you'll never regret it, but in your in Florida or tropical climate probably just skip it. While the Power Wedge is very nice the floating wedge is as every bit capable just can't manually tune it for surfing. I've surfed behind both and really they both are very good and either one is a must have.

How many people do you normally take out on the boat?

How much gear do you take with you?

We usually go out in groups of 8+ but when everyone crashes at our place the old boat would fill at 12.

We also usually take 4 boards so two racks would be fine.

Thanks!

PS> WOW just noticed you have a yellow jacket paint job. I love it that is what I am planning too.

Edited by suprmac

The front ballast is a must and not easy to install afterwards = must; Maliview why cool not necessary compared the wedge and doesn't affect the performance of the boat. I'd recommend sending in your speakers (interior) and have Malibu install them, but don't order any stereo install imho from the factory as it can be done afterwards for much less and less complications. This saves money up front and you can build it as you go. want to extend the season? Get a heater and you'll never regret it, but in your in Florida or tropical climate probably just skip it. While the Power Wedge is very nice the floating wedge is as every bit capable just can't manually tune it for surfing. I've surfed behind both and really they both are very good and either one is a must have.

Did not realize you could send in parts like speakers. Sounds complicated (forgive the pun) but I will have to ask dealer about it.

I was going to post a question later about the ballasts... primarily how long does it take and is it a huge pain.

Thanks!

Personally I would go with Maliview. And I would not buy the factory CS cover. Order the boat without a cover and since you are already a supporting member order an Evolution Cover from Corey. Www.evolutioncovers.com. He gives a discount to supporting members of the site. Also I really enjoy the snap out carpet.

I love maliview, make life easy set it n forget it, also for sure front bag for surfing n when u have some good riders, I thought the playpen would be bad but its all good, I would also never not have a power wedge. You can save on stereo lots of money but then u need to find outside equipment and a installer to do a nice neat clean and water tight job. I paid a lot for my 8 in cabin speakers n 4 tower(wet sounds) and sub with three amps but. I have been around stereos a lot, cars n now boats and hands down the best system I have ever heard on a boat, and for sure cars close. Plus then if problems go to dealer, if not mailing speakers back and forth cause they blow stinks. Also get gps cruise anything else does not work well.

Did not realize you could send in parts like speakers. Sounds complicated (forgive the pun) but I will have to ask dealer about it.

I was going to post a question later about the ballasts... primarily how long does it take and is it a huge pain.

Thanks!

The ballast for the aft and bow run about 2min +/- but the center takes in the range of 7min or so to fill/drain. Get all factory ballast installed period not even a question.

I would recommend...

Maliview

3 vent heater

Walk thru transom plank

Quad ballast system

Power wedge

Shower

These upgrades above will be in demand, when you sell the boat someday it will give you more buyers and resale value....

Nice to have extras:

G3 Tower mirror

Heated drivers seat

Underwater LEDs

Extra set of board racks (if you carry a lot of gear these are awesome)

My dealer was really cool, all my upgrades were at there cost, so most of them were so reasonable I could not pass it up, literally almost the same price if I installed them myself. The heater is well worth the $$ and would be a headache to install after the boat is put together.

When I ordered my 2011, Malibu was not great about adding any different stereo components, they basically only want Fosgate in there. So I elected to go with the bare minimum 4 speakers, and head unit.

The other 4 speakers came in a box and I had my stereo installer put them in. I was ablt to install a much better Wetsounds system for less than there soundpak 3.

*** Ask them about the adjustable height drivers seat, I was told its coming soon, maybe they will be able to order you one... this would be a sweet upgrade!

Congratulations on your new VLX, you wont be disappointed! One of the best wakeboard wakes!

Edited by Fman
  • Like 1

Thanks!

The 2011 ballast pumps are smaller than the 2012s, I timed my complete quad system, its about 3.0-3.5 to fill center/bow tanks, and 2 mins to fill the rear side tanks.

You have about 1250 lbs = 150 gallons of water with all 4 tanks, the 2011 pumps are 850 GPH/14 GPM.... 14 GPM x 4 pumps running = 56 Gallons per minute you are pumping into the boat at max capacity. It wont take more than 3 to 3.5 mins to fill your entire system, probably closer to 3 mins with the 2012 pumps (they are rated at 1100 GPH). Draining is the same amount of time.

Edited by Fman

Personally I would go with Maliview. And I would not buy the factory CS cover. Order the boat without a cover and since you are already a supporting member order an Evolution Cover from Corey. Www.evolutioncovers.com. He gives a discount to supporting members of the site. Also I really enjoy the snap out carpet.

Great tip... I am definitely going with your recommendation.

The boat will be stored in a boat house most of its life and so a cover is very important to me.

Thanks,

Malc

I love maliview, make life easy set it n forget it, also for sure front bag for surfing n when u have some good riders, I thought the playpen would be bad but its all good, I would also never not have a power wedge. You can save on stereo lots of money but then u need to find outside equipment and a installer to do a nice neat clean and water tight job. I paid a lot for my 8 in cabin speakers n 4 tower(wet sounds) and sub with three amps but. I have been around stereos a lot, cars n now boats and hands down the best system I have ever heard on a boat, and for sure cars close. Plus then if problems go to dealer, if not mailing speakers back and forth cause they blow stinks. Also get gps cruise anything else does not work well.

Stereos are tricky.. and so I definitely need to get a factory option for wiring the speakers etc...

Could see myself updating a few things later after I live with the OEM stereo a bit.

My dealer quote has Option 2 which I need to find out more about but there are some other add-ons that might make sense.

What do you think? Thanks!

post-18155-0-30371900-1330428786_thumb.j

• Like 1

I would recommend...

Maliview

3 vent heater

Walk thru transom plank

Quad ballast system

Power wedge

Shower

These upgrades above will be in demand, when you sell the boat someday it will give you more buyers and resale value....

Nice to have extras:

G3 Tower mirror

Heated drivers seat

Underwater LEDs

Extra set of board racks (if you carry a lot of gear these are awesome)

My dealer was really cool, all my upgrades were at there cost, so most of them were so reasonable I could not pass it up, literally almost the same price if I installed them myself. The heater is well worth the $$ and would be a headache to install after the boat is put together.

When I ordered my 2011, Malibu was not great about adding any different stereo components, they basically only want Fosgate in there. So I elected to go with the bare minimum 4 speakers, and head unit.

The other 4 speakers came in a box and I had my stereo installer put them in. I was ablt to install a much better Wetsounds system for less than there soundpak 3.

*** Ask them about the adjustable height drivers seat, I was told its coming soon, maybe they will be able to order you one... this would be a sweet upgrade!

Congratulations on your new VLX, you wont be disappointed! One of the best wakeboard wakes!

Thanks for the great information:

On my list:

1) Quad ballast is a done deal, sounds like a no brainer

2) Tower Mirror seems like a must too

3) Aftermarket Evolution Boat cover

Still researching:

1) I would love to have MailView but need to find a good comparison between it and the Precision Pro

2) Still looking for pictures of the SunDeck Rear Walkthrough on a VLX (Sounds like a good idea, my wife likes to wear heals when we go out on the water)

3) Stereo Option - I think a good foundation is the key and so Option 2 (6 speakers & amp) is a good start on OEM wiring and

4) Carpets -- Are the stock ones snap outs or are only the upgrades (I have always had snap outs and they a so easy to clean)

I wish but probably not going to happen:

1) LED Lights

Might have to pass:

1) We are in NC and so heaters would be great on those cold mornings

2) We had a shower on our last boat that nobody used

Thanks,

Malc

• Like 1

Here is the list form the site I am looking at.

(x) standard (y) is a done deal on my side

The other options sections (engine, dash etc) seem pretty straight forward.

Additional Options:

(y) Ballast - Bow Malibu Launch System

(x) Ballast - Midship Malibu Launch System

(x) Ballast - Rear Malibu Launch System

Battery - 500 CCA (Taylor Deep Cycle)

Battery - 875 CCA (Taylor)

Bow Eye - Lifting

Floor - Wet Tek Fiberglass w/Snap-out Carpet (Wakesetters only) White

(x) Glove Box - Locking

Heater - 2 Outlet

Heater - 3 Outlet

Light - Pop-up Bow

Lights - Docking (Pair, Stainless, 6 LEDs Ea)

Lights - Transom Underwater (Pair, 9 LEDs Ea)

Nonskid - Deck Trac (Complete Deck Kit)

(x) Rubrail - Stainless (w/through holes)

(x) Seat Bolster - Flip Up (Driver's)

Seat Heater - Driver's

Seat Heater - Passenger's (Sport Seating Only)

Shower - Hot Water (N/A with Closed Cooling)

(x) Ski Tow Bar - Rear Grab Handle

(x) Sound Suppression - MSST

Sun Deck - Rear Walk-over

Wedge - Manual Polished (Complete)

Wedge - Power

Carpet, Storage & Canvas Options

(x) Carpeting Premium Polypropylene

Snap-out carpet insert with "WS" (Only Wakesetters w/ Fiberglass Floor) Sterling

Cruise Control Options

GPS Speed Control for MEFI-6 Boats

GPS Speed Control for MEFI-6 Boats with Maliview Integration (Maliview Required)

(x) Speed Control Precision Pro

Stereo Options

Satellite Radio - Sirius (w/Antenna & 6-mth Sub)

Sound System - Pack 1

(x) Sound System - Pack 2

Sound System - Pack 3

Sound System - Remote (Transom)

Speakers - 12" Rockford Subwoofer (w/amp)

Switch - Rear Lounge MUX

• Like 1

The Snap out is an option and if you have had snap out in the past then you will be dissapointed not going with the snap out I think... From what I understand the speakers are all prewired. So you could go with Sound pack 1 which I think gives 4 speakers (no amp) and customize from there.

Led's are an easy add on later.

The transom remote is too sensitive and annoying.

I would go for Maliview mainly for resale and ease of use. The precision Pro cruise is easy to use as well though. I am not sure how much the Maliview upgrade is.

Power Wedge for sure if you are into surfing.

Heater can be added later as well.. Shower is really easy to add after.....

• Like 1

Suprmac,

Can you get the VLX without Maliview? My dealer told me it only comes with Maliview, you would have to go with the 21 V-ride to not get it.... maybe they have changed there options for 2012... I was just curious. If you are looking to save some substantial $$$, the V-ride is another option, no electronics and I believe the same hull as the VLX... so the wakes should be spot on. V-ride still has quad ballast and power wedge and the G3 Tower....

Also would recommend 4 wheel disc brakes, and spare tire on the trailer. It was only an extra $350 to the disc brakes and $150 for the spare tire on my trailer....

Edited by Fman

Suprmac,

Can you get the VLX without Maliview? My dealer told me it only comes with Maliview, you would have to go with the 21 V-ride to not get it.... maybe they have changed there options for 2012... I was just curious. If you are looking to save some substantial $$, the V-ride is another option, no electronics and I believe the same hull as the VLX... so the wakes should be spot on. V-ride still has quad ballast and power wedge and the G3 Tower....

Also would recommend 4 wheel disc brakes, and spare tire on the trailer. It was only an extra $350 to the disc brakes and $150 for the spare tire on my trailer....

V-Ride is on the older style VLX Hull so not the same wake but still very good... Only 3 ballast tanks in the V-Ride as well (no bow ballast option).. Maliview has always been an option from what I understand... Wakesetter67's boat does not have Maliview if I remember the pics correctly.

Suprmac,

Can you get the VLX without Maliview? My dealer told me it only comes with Maliview, you would have to go with the 21 V-ride to not get it.... maybe they have changed there options for 2012... I was just curious. If you are looking to save some substantial $$$, the V-ride is another option, no electronics and I believe the same hull as the VLX... so the wakes should be spot on. V-ride still has quad ballast and power wedge and the G3 Tower....

We ordered the spare tire carrier on the trailer but found it is a lot cheaper to buy the wheel and tire seperately from TireDiscounters or some place like that.

In my experience OEM stuff gets quiet expensive to add later. For example we got the bimini last season and it was almost twice as much as when we ordered the boat.

For performance (and resale) I would recommend quad balast and power wedge. You'll most likely end up with an upgraded prop at some time, it's only around $100 more when you order.

For comfort we like our maliview (depth displays are a plus). We have both the 3 and 2 outlet heaters and they get used. Surprisingly enough the drivers seat heater has only been used once or twice. Same with the shower. The turndown exhaust is nice and a little quieter than the original straight. My kids love the rear seat remote and use it often. It looks good with the stereo package we got. Pop-up cleats are good to have.

Most other stuff such as pop-up light, billet glove box door, docking lights etc were waste of money for us. A lot of that depends on your situation and how you use your boat I guess.

Congrats on the new boat, you'll love the Vlx. We need some 2012 pics!

• Like 1

If you are coming off the water late in the evenings the LED docking lights are very nice to have, and will add to the resale when you sell the boat, plus I think they look pretty cool and are very bright. I agree with Dexter, any mods you "might" want to add later you would save yourself quite a bit of money installing them now. Hopefully your dealer will take care of you on the upgrade prices....The ACME 1235 prop is a perfect example, $600 if you buy one after you have the boat, $135 to upgrade from the 1939. Would highly recommend the prop upgrade, especially if you truly wakeboard and surf often with 6-10 people in the boat.

V-Ride is on the older style VLX Hull so not the same wake but still very good... Only 3 ballast tanks in the V-Ride as well (no bow ballast option).. Maliview has always been an option from what I understand... Wakesetter67's boat does not have Maliview if I remember the pics correctly.

Thanks for the correction, I was mistaken, I thought the V-ride had the bow tank. Also looks like the V-ride has a 98" beam, compared to 100" on the VLX.

Thanks for the great information:

On my list:

1) Quad ballast is a done deal, sounds like a no brainer

2) Tower Mirror seems like a must too

3) Aftermarket Evolution Boat cover

Still researching:

1) I would love to have MailView but need to find a good comparison between it and the Precision Pro

2) Still looking for pictures of the SunDeck Rear Walkthrough on a VLX (Sounds like a good idea, my wife likes to wear heals when we go out on the water)

3) Stereo Option - I think a good foundation is the key and so Option 2 (6 speakers & amp) is a good start on OEM wiring and

4) Carpets -- Are the stock ones snap outs or are only the upgrades (I have always had snap outs and they a so easy to clean)

I wish but probably not going to happen:

1) LED Lights

Might have to pass:

1) We are in NC and so heaters would be great on those cold mornings

2) We had a shower on our last boat that nobody used

Thanks,

Malc

Dang....dressed to impress even on the boat!

It sure looks like you have a pretty good set of options for your new Bu! I'm looking forward to seeing it! Thumbup.gif

I agree with what others have said.

Only thing I go back and forth on is the transome walk over thing. Sometimes i wish I had it, other times I (well, the wife and guests) are glad to have the whole sunpad available.

You won't miss the LED lights. I have them - used them once at forth of July, but not any other time. The docking lights are great addition - gives a little more visibility when coming in at sundown.

Snap out carpet is a must - it is very plush as well.

Do upgrade to the 1235 prop - we did and it makes a huuuge difference. We actually have the smaller V8, but can't tell it - we have yet to bog it down. We once had 8 adults, 2 kids, full ballast, wedge, and still pulled someone at 25mph. granted, we were well over the Coast Guard weight limit of the boat, but it pulled it with no problem.

Speaking of motor options, would highly recommend nothing smaller than the Monsoon 350 with CAT-ETX. The CAT motor will burn cleaner and be much better for surfing, the CAT might be standard, not sure on this one. Not even sure if there is a smaller engine than the Monsoon 350????