Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need New Batteries

Ok so I need two new batteries this year, I currently have two group 34 optima blue tops with a perko switch, that are both dead. Not really wanting to drop $400+ on batteries this year to buy the same ones, so what do yall recommend? Was thinking about just going down to walmart and buying some regular flooded cell ones. I run a pretty decent system with 500w rms on tower, 150 rms in boats and 250 rms to sub, but I never park and play for more than an hour or so, so I don't really feel I need to worry about draining the battery too much...I will also keep them on a charger/maintainer while on shore.

So should I get two automotive starting batteries, two marine batteries, 1 starting and 1 deep cycle? Or does anyone know where you can get optimas for $150 or less? Also, with the flooded cell, what size do i need? Do i need to stay with group 34?

I found group 24 Marine batteries at walmart for $60 today, they have 675 Cranking amps which is the most I saw out of their marine batteries...This should be plenty to start the boat since I don't run it unless its at least 60* out right?

Thanks in advance for your help, Im no battery expert and I'm tired of staring at this stuff and just wanna buy what I need so I can get out on the water.

Do yourself a favor and at least get the group 29/31 batteries as a replacement. You'll at least double your reserve capacity by moving away from the overhyped optima batteries and moving into the larger battery.

You'll at least double your reserve capacity by moving away from the overhyped optima batteries and moving into the larger battery.

I do agree I just did the same thing. The house battery I went with the Interstate 29 it is a deep cycle marine it is the best battery for the house battery I could find and it is $120. For the start battery I went with the autozone marine battery not sure the number but it is the biggest one they have 1000 cranking amps and 3 year replacement warranty and $100. They are both sulfuric acid batteries so they will work great for your charger. The warranty on the Interstate battery isn't as good but it was the best house battery I could find. They also weight about 120 so with all the other little thing on the passenger side of the boat I don't need a spotter. :whistle:

http://www.interstatebatteries.com/cs_eStore/content/product_info/marine_f.asp

Costco is a good source for batteries, Costco put new tires on while I was shopping and noticed they had a good selection of Marine and Deep Cycle batteries. Three year free replacement. The battery in my Skier was purchased 12/05 and still going strong.

Edited by jkendallmsce

I have a buddy who bought a pair of Optima Blue Tops from Costco a few years ago. A month from the end of the 2 yr warranty, both batteries died. He ran them in an MC Prostar 205 with the stock alternator. Didn't have any problems with them till the last month or so.

He took them in to Costco to get them to honor their warranty. Come to find out your not supposed to charge the Blue Tops with a conventional alternator, but use a charger compatible with an AGM battery...... or you risk shortening the batteries' life span.

My 05 Vride had a Blue top & an Interstate deep cycle in it when I bought the boat in 2007.... stock alternator. The Blue Top died in the first season. I still have the Interstate in a gas golf cart to this day. Since then I installed a pair of Die Hards in the Vride, a deep cycle & a starter rated for 650 amps. Plus I picked up a Guest Dual bank on-board charger. Batteries & charger amounted to about $300. System in the boat is 3 Kicker amps, 1550 watts. Whenever the boat is in storage, the charger is plugged in. So far, so good.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

I'm am starting my 6th year with my Optima Blue tops. Used over 100 hrs each year. Will probably replace with the same when time comes.DSC02113.jpgWoukl possibly consider other brand if it would fit where I installed mine. Most won't fit here, too tall.

Edited by dalt1
  • 1 month later...

I run a pair of Kinetik 1800W 12V Audio Power Cell Batteries on my boat....My stereo has a few more watts than yours, but they are just about impossible to KILL.....and they absolutely stop any lights from dimming when you are pounding your stereo and subs...they can be mounted in any position (even upside down) and anywhere in your boat....

Also, I believe in using the same batteries in a two battery configuration when you only have 1 source to charge with.....as an added bonus, you can swap that batteries each year to wear them out equally...

I also keep them charged on land and over the winter with a CTEK 7002 Battery Charger and that can be left on the batteries continuously and even while still connected to your boat...without damage to your electronics...

Are they pricey? Yes, but so are our boats....and even more PRICELESS is the time we spend on the water.....to me, buying the best stuff means being able to play without interruptions from failed equipment.....

www.kinetikaudio.com

I was thinking about replacing my Optimas as well. If you're set on using the AGM batteries because of size, mounting location, etc. read the following post by Murphy8166:

The Optima's are good batteries - but you can do better on price per amp hour.

If you are wanting to go sealed then the best bang for the buck is the Deka Intimidator AGM Line. These used to be called the Deka SeaMate's but are no longer carried under that name. The Deka Intimidator 9a34m would be very similiar in size to the Optima D34m. Same size, same weight, same reserve and same amp hours. Deka also makes as Series, 24, 27, 31, 4D and 8D all in the sealed AGM line.

If you don't want a sealed battery - then any lead-acid such as Interstate will do.

An Optima D34m will cost you about $220 and a Deka 9a34m will cost about $145. The Deka warranty is twice as long.

Alot of people say that they like the Deka batteries. They are supposedly just as good as some of the big name brands but are a whole lot cheaper. Might be worth a look.

Alot of people say that they like the Deka batteries. They are supposedly just as good as some of the big name brands but are a whole lot cheaper. Might be worth a look.

I like them. Boat sat all fall/winter. She fired right up this week.

Edited by skurfer

I was thinking about replacing my Optimas as well. If you're set on using the AGM batteries because of size, mounting location, etc. read the following post by Murphy8166:

The Optima's are good batteries - but you can do better on price per amp hour.

If you are wanting to go sealed then the best bang for the buck is the Deka Intimidator AGM Line. These used to be called the Deka SeaMate's but are no longer carried under that name. The Deka Intimidator 9a34m would be very similiar in size to the Optima D34m. Same size, same weight, same reserve and same amp hours. Deka also makes as Series, 24, 27, 31, 4D and 8D all in the sealed AGM line.

If you don't want a sealed battery - then any lead-acid such as Interstate will do.

An Optima D34m will cost you about $220 and a Deka 9a34m will cost about $145. The Deka warranty is twice as long.

Thanks for the Deka info. I will check it out.

Yes very nuts!! Lol. Actually my buddy owns a stereo shop and I helped him out with something..he is giving me the one free and I am just paying cost for the second one. I park my boat and play the stereo..I think it will have 4 amps, 2 subs, 4 rev10 wetsounds tower speakers, and then all the interior speakers. I think two of these should be sufficient..lol

Plus it will add 170 pounds tO the surfside of my boat.

Edit: I wrote this to a guy that posted above this but I guess he deleted his post now..lol

Edited by Armyguy

JB - I agree. I have 2 kinetics 2000 for 4 seasons now. I use both as cranking batteries and audio. I just alternate every day that I ride from battery 1 to battery 2. I have been out on the lake all day with with engine off listening to my stereo at moderate volume, then jumped in and it cranked the motor just fine. I love them and will replace them with the same batteries when they go bad. They are pricey, but I got 2 of them for $480 brand new.... killer deal

Deka batteries are good and so are Trojan brand batteries. Batteries plus also carries a house brand I believe is called extreme and they held up well in my old boat. They where 3 years old and still going, but I store them on a charger when not being used.

A man after my own heart.....HIGH quality stuff....got a love it!!!!

But SERIOUSLY.....did you really need to EXPOSE your buddy's COST?!?

Armyguy.....That was not very COOL on your part......he does you a favor and you pay him back by showing his profit margin....

You might want to think about editing your post and removing that $$$ amount and leave it at " I GOT A GOOD DEAL"

Just my cents...

I have 2 of those Battery Plus extreme batteries. Expensive for 2 of them but I have never had an issue. When I do upgrade my stereo and add amps I will switch to the 6 volt battery system. I run 2 amps right now and those batterys do just fine but I do like to anchor up and throw some shoes :thumbup: . My friend has 3 or 4 amps with 4-6 volt batterys and he can park all day playing with no issues at the end of the day. But for my moderate sound system those extreme batts are perfect

I have 2 of those Battery Plus extreme batteries. Expensive for 2 of them but I have never had an issue. When I do upgrade my stereo and add amps I will switch to the 6 volt battery system. I run 2 amps right now and those batterys do just fine but I do like to anchor up and throw some shoes :thumbup: . My friend has 3 or 4 amps with 4-6 volt batterys and he can park all day playing with no issues at the end of the day. But for my moderate sound system those extreme batts are perfect

I've got a moderate system in my boat and Four 6volt batteries separated into 2 battery banks. I've never used more than 1 bank when playing over 8 hours :biggrin: .

In my XSTAR I ran 3 batteries, with the XS Power D3100 for the stereo. I've now seen a couple people replace their factory batteries two with two of these. Any thoughts on this or possible downfalls? I may look to do the same as I look to start my stereo build. Will charge with ProMariner ProSport Plus...it's a 3 bank, but can double up on one to charge. XS Power is like 20min from my house which is nice...

http://4xspower.com/d3100/

Yes very nuts!! Lol. Actually my buddy owns a stereo shop and I helped him out with something..he is giving me the one free and I am just paying cost for the second one. I park my boat and play the stereo..I think it will have 4 amps, 2 subs, 4 rev10 wetsounds tower speakers, and then all the interior speakers. I think two of these should be sufficient..lol

Plus it will add 170 pounds tO the surfside of my boat.

Edit: I wrote this to a guy that posted above this but I guess he deleted his post now..lol

That was me, I figured I spent a hell of alot more money on stuff that makes me just as nuts. Lol.

Edited by kennyo
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I have a stock alternator and about every 2 1/2 I am buying a new battery. I buy the workholic interstate CCA 850 battey and thoughts and or suggestions.