Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Amp Mounting

cowwboy

I'm planning on mounting my amps on the hull side this time after my battery enclosure is on the walk way side now.

I built three different ones and it seems with the curvature of the hull I loose a lot of area using a straight board. Even using three panels it just seemed to make it more dificult and wasn't much space saving. Has anyone tried just gluing enough ptfe/wood to the hull to crew the amp to? That way I keep the most space for towel/bag storage. Seems running big stereo's takes up tons of room.

Also whats the opinion of mounting the amps on the floor of the seat compartment and having a lexan cover over them? I've seen a few done that way just kind of worried of water leaking into them and of heat issues.

Search wakeworld for grant

He has done mounting blocks glued to the hull and just a bolt to mount the amps

You will have to mount the amps on a strip of aluminium or stainless steel

We have pics of my install soon, I used this method but mine are mounted to the floor

I mounted three amps underneath the passenger corner cushion since I never remove It

Edited by my malibu

When someone who is soaking wet sits on the cushion water can drain into the area below. You would need to elevate the horizontal amplifiers off the sole and you can place a protective shield over the amplifiers but you would need a turned down drip rail of sorts around the perimeter of the shield as water can easily run to the underside of the shield. This in turn within the shallow area restricts heat dissipation. So I am not crazy about locating amplifiers under the bench seat cushions. Since we avoid this for the above reasons I have not had a lot of experience doing this way.

As for hull-mounting its really easy to glue multiple blocks to the hull with a fiberglass panel bonding agent from 3M. This provides for more adhering surface area. The majority of the weight can be supported by the amp panel resting on the sole, perhaps with an HDPE standoff or two. Given the compound contour of the hull I understand the comment about the wasted space. But this space can provide for drainage, a wiring raceway or power distribution components. This has been a commonly used method for us. Its not the only way.

David

I'm planning on mounting my amps on the hull side this time after my battery enclosure is on the walk way side now.

I built three different ones and it seems with the curvature of the hull I loose a lot of area using a straight board. Even using three panels it just seemed to make it more dificult and wasn't much space saving. Has anyone tried just gluing enough ptfe/wood to the hull to crew the amp to? That way I keep the most space for towel/bag storage. Seems running big stereo's takes up tons of room.

Also whats the opinion of mounting the amps on the floor of the seat compartment and having a lexan cover over them? I've seen a few done that way just kind of worried of water leaking into them and of heat issues.

Here is How Exile Mounted Mine, They stay Dry, and Plenty of air to keep them cool, I do have a fan Mounted to Cool one of my Harpoon Amps, courtbday034.jpg

After looking around I think I might mount one amp on the surface on the back of the front seat. Then I would just need to mount my two arc's on the hull side and they are fairly small.

What glue bonds aluminum and fiberglass?

mounting underneath the seat

the mounts are made from starboard and hold the amps 3/4 of a inch off the carpet

I do have one advance, I have access to waterproofing materials from work.

So waterproofing this area is no big deal.

I never remove this seat so this was a nice place to mount them.

I know I'm losing bag space for surfing, but I have some lead weights that should made up for it.

IMAG1018.jpg

I used West System epoxy thickened with colloidal silica to mount my stand-offs. West makes an etching product to help epoxy adhere to aluminum if you decide to go that way. I mounted three 2" X 3/4" MDO blocks to the hull thinking a "three legged stool" would work better. I'm glad I did, the hull's compound curve is very deceptive. I wound up screwing another set of blocks on top of the others (1 1/2" total stand off) and then belt sanding the high edges back to get a flat surface to mount the amp rack to.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I decided to mount them to that back wall and use a hinged mount so I can adjust the amp easier.

I also mounted my sub amp to the battery box so actually I have even more space then I had hoped for and now nothing is riding on the hull.

The idea of having studs in the amp rack and then just hanging them made my life so much easier.

My charger has been turned sideways and I am looking at led's to light up the poly under my sub amp.

The arc's will go to the very top of the back wall as close as I can put them to the battery box and yet pivot out still.

newamp1.jpg

rack1.jpg

rack2.jpg

Mounted and moved some stuff around. Now to see what power wire I have in my wire box and what I need to by.

Iphone007.jpg

Iphone012.jpg

Iphone014.jpg

Iphone013.jpg

More storage space now.

Iphone015.jpg

Mounted and moved some stuff around. Now to see what power wire I have in my wire box and what I need to by.

Iphone007.jpg

Iphone012.jpg

Iphone014.jpg

Iphone013.jpg

More storage space now.

Iphone015.jpg

Looks good nice job :thumbup:

Wow, thats a lot of space for those guys! I don't know if I could give up that much storage.

I have 1 amp and sub that came with my boat under the drivers side. I took a piece of 1/8" Aluminum and mounted my 2 amps tight to the passenger compartment inside wall on it and will put a piece of plexiglass over it to allow an air pocket and allow storage down there still without allowing the stored materials to contact the amp or block the air movement. It's only halfway done but I have a few more months of weekends to figure it out/ finish it.