Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

No Cleats?

Asmodeus2112

Curious what some of ya'll do when tying up without cleats on the Malibus. On my last 2001 Sunsetter I would usually tie up to the bow eye and transom eyes, but it's a bit of a pain running the lines through, especially the bow. I guess there is always the handrails.... Was thinging of terminating some lines with carabiners. Maybe a strong plastic or coated aluminum?

I'd be careful about tying to the hand rails. There was an earlier post where someone did that and ripped out the hand rail and rope burned the vinyl. I have the non-locking aluminum carabiners tied with an inline Prussik knot on one end to adjust the length of the rope for the bow and stern. The aluminum is lite enough that it doesn't ding or scratch the glass and gives you a little more time to try and grab it when the family drops it in the river. :)

Last year was my first experience with this. I don't have cleats either. I used the tower and ski pylon or the tower and rear D rings depending on what I was tying up to. It's really a PITA. I'm planning on installing pop up cleats on each side in the rear and one in the front this year.

Last year was my first experience with this. I don't have cleats either. I used the tower and ski pylon or the tower and rear D rings depending on what I was tying up to. It's really a PITA. I'm planning on installing pop up cleats on each side in the rear and one in the front this year.

Let me know how this goes. I would like to install a pop up or two near the bow.

I installed 4 pop up cleats on my last boat, an '86 malibu skier. It was pretty easy. They came with a template so I just positioned them, marked them and cut them out with a jigsaw. The hardest part was keeping the gelcoat from cracking or chipping away. I used masking tape to stop that. I accidently made one hole to small so I attempted to file it larger. The file would catch the edge of the gelcoat and chip it. So make the hole the right size first...lol. Luckily for me, the pop up cleat had enough of an outer ledge to cover up any small chips. When I was done, they looked and worked great and you couldn't see any chips.

Current pull up cleats are all two-hole mounting, meaning it's a straightforward DIY owner install if you can drill a hole, countersink the gelcoat and turn a wrench.

Stop tying off like a wally, :blush: and get some cleats! :)

Your Malibu dealer will have "Malibu" logo'd cleats, or you can order from any number of places for plain cleats.

Thanks,

Peter