Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Responsetxi Vs. Natiques

Boat crazy

I have a Response LXI Silver Edition and I am thinking about selling. Curious if the Natique Sport 200 will have as good of a slalom wake as the 07 Response LXI? The amount of Added weight in the boat is probably 1000 pounds with the people and all the equipment. I want a good slalom wake and a decent wakeboard wake . I would also like to compare the Response TXI in the same consideration. If I'm not improving my wake I'm not interested in trading.

I would think the Natique Sport 200 will have a better slalom wake. But how much better? I don't think you will get as good boarding wake unless you put sacks in it. This is assuming you have a wedge. The TXI is in or better wake class as the Natique. The one thing about the Natique is I see so many people talking about very poor fuel economy, not that any of our boats get very good economy. As so often people say take them for a test ride & ski.

Have you tried putting 75 pounds of weight in the front of your LXI it will improve your wake. Not that its bad.

I would think the Natique Sport 200 will have a better slalom wake. But how much better?

I have no first hand experience, but I'd be skeptical that the (V-Drive) Sport Nautique 200 (or any other VDrive) has a better slalom wake than the RLXi. While all the manufacturers seem to promise great slalom wakes out of their VDrive "crossovers"...I'm not sure how realistic the promise is. Sure, at 36mph the wakes flatten out, but they aren't very friendly teaching up and coming skiers at slower speeds. At slower speeds, I doubt there is much comparison.

Its all about determining your needs, and figuring out what compromises need to be made. There is no such animal that is both GREAT for slalom and boarding

If the users bias is towards slalom skiing (as appears to be the case in this post), I think Direct Drive is the way to go (then modifying/weighting it to get a satisfactory boarding wake).

Edited by davemac

I really think you answered your own question. While the SN Sport 200 and the 20LSV/VTX share hull designs with their direct drive counterparts they will always have a slight compromise. Those V-drives will give you the potential for better board sport wakes but will give up some in the slalom arena.

Is the SN Sport 200 better than your current boat? With experience I can say it is different but not better. In my opinion it felt acceptable for a 34-36 MPH skier looking to have more flexability for other sports or a boat with a more social layout.

I really think you answered your own question. While the SN Sport 200 and the 20LSV/VTX share hull designs with their direct drive counterparts they will always have a slight compromise. Those V-drives will give you the potential for better board sport wakes but will give up some in the slalom arena.

Is the SN Sport 200 better than your current boat? With experience I can say it is different but not better. In my opinion it felt acceptable for a 34-36 MPH skier looking to have more flexability for other sports or a boat with a more social layout.

It sounds like you are looking for an excuse to get a new boat. Nothing wrong with that. As others asked, what are you specifically looking to gain in changing boats?

I'll admit I like changing boats often. I,m always looking for an overall boat for the whole family. I want a flatter ski wake at 15 off and at about 29mph to 32mph. We are recreational skiers that enjoy slalom, and my sons enjoy big wakes for wakeboarding. They also enjoy slalom alittle bit but mostly boarding. Since I"m writing the check I stiill favor slalom more than boarding but I still want to compliment both sports as much as possible. It's a family thing. I get tired tired of hearing dealers say you can"t have both, What they should say is that our engineers havn't figured it out yet. I knoww they are getting better at it so I'm trying to get closer to this good overall set-up. I will never believe it can't be done.

Personal opinion, but I believe the TXi would enhance your wake exactly where you are looking.

Peter.

Yeah, I'm w/ Peter. Based on all I've read, and what your needs are (particularly longer slalom line lengths at 29-32 mph).... I'd be looking at the TXi which is being well receivedin the slalom world . The emphasis on the current slalom boats is to broaden appeal by enhancing the wakes at longer lengths and slower speeds. The TXi is reported to have hit the mark on this....and Mastercraft is rumored to have similar goals w/ their next revision.

At 29mph to 32mph I would want to ski the Natique Sport 200 the wake may not be as good as a DD. Natique clams its as good as the DD but I don't know if they are talking below 34 mph.

I had a V drive when my son was around and boarding but the year he left home I was at the dealer buying a DD. :biggrin:

There is a good artical on the TXI in the March Waterski mag. It sounds like the redesign was driven by the success of the DD 200 ? Looking forward to getting a pull behind one ths season !

I saw the hydrogate, It looked pretty cheap and simple. It looks like it creates enough drag on the boat to make the boat reduce its angle on the water surface . Thats ok if something simple works. On the sport 200 you pull the plate up and lets the boat sit on its rear more creating more angle on the boat creating more wake for the wakeboarder. Thats my perception on how it works anyway. It would be good to know if someone has skied behind it at slower speeds. I wonder if anyone has used the TXI with the wedge yet? My LXI as a power wedge on it and it has not to bad of a wakeboard wake, however we would like to see it larger if it is possible. I would guess the sn200 will give a larger wakeboard wake but the slalom wake? thats the big question.

I saw the hydrogate, It looked pretty cheap and simple. It looks like it creates enough drag on the boat to make the boat reduce its angle on the water surface . Thats ok if something simple works. On the sport 200 you pull the plate up and lets the boat sit on its rear more creating more angle on the boat creating more wake for the wakeboarder. Thats my perception on how it works anyway. It would be good to know if someone has skied behind it at slower speeds. I wonder if anyone has used the TXI with the wedge yet? My LXI as a power wedge on it and it has not to bad of a wakeboard wake, however we would like to see it larger if it is possible. I would guess the sn200 will give a larger wakeboard wake but the slalom wake? thats the big question.

i skied the dd 200 at 34mph and 22' and 28' off. very nice wake.

some of the guys that went to swiss ski school on the same trip ski much slower and longer.

everyone was thrilled w the wakes. soft. well defined. almost spectacular.

the instructor demonstrated the hydro-gate at speed and mentioned it's tricking abilities.

i didn't have the presence of mind to ask about wakeboarding behind it.

i would be interested in hearing opinions on wakeboarding the dd 200.

I'll admit I like changing boats often. I,m always looking for an overall boat for the whole family. I want a flatter ski wake at 15 off and at about 29mph to 32mph. We are recreational skiers that enjoy slalom, and my sons enjoy big wakes for wakeboarding. They also enjoy slalom alittle bit but mostly boarding. Since I"m writing the check I stiill favor slalom more than boarding but I still want to compliment both sports as much as possible. It's a family thing. I get tired tired of hearing dealers say you can"t have both, What they should say is that our engineers havn't figured it out yet. I knoww they are getting better at it so I'm trying to get closer to this good overall set-up. I will never believe it can't be done.

Just an observation, if you're looking for a smaller wake, that's different than flatter wake. Nautiques, even the skinautique 200, have anything but a flat wake, its a washing machine back there, unlike the smooth table of the malibus. That said, that doesn't mean they're not crossable and soft. At your line length, I'd recommend a VTX as it will have more wakeboard potential than the Sport 200. The wakeboard wake pics of the SN200 look puny and has limited ballast. If you're looking for a better slalom wake than a rlxi, no vdrive is going to do that, especially at 15 off and 30 mph.

The SN hydrogate is more for helping the trick wake. It makes the slalom wake a bit harder.

To the OP, when I hear the term "recreational skier" that is a broad spectrum. I would test ski a few boats before passing any judgement based on comments from a forum. Based on your comments I would test a TXI, 20LSV/VTX and the two variations of the SN 200. It might change your thinking after first hand experience.

The sport 200 v-drive is supposed to ski exceptionally well from the skiers I have spoken to. Apparently it puts out a surprising surf wake as well.

And it may, but its not going to ski better than OPs rlxi.

If you read and trust what has been written on the 200 V drive it does ski as well as the DD or so close most will not see a difference.

I also seam to remember it has it has been approved for tournament skiing?

I have not skied it. 85 Barefoot you are correct about the washing machine effect but the CC 196 has the same and its still one of the best ski boats out.

Take one for a ride and judge. Its the only way to get the answer.

I have a Response LXI Silver Edition and I am thinking about selling. Curious if the Natique Sport 200 will have as good of a slalom wake as the 07 Response LXI? The amount of Added weight in the boat is probably 1000 pounds with the people and all the equipment. I want a good slalom wake and a decent wakeboard wake . I would also like to compare the Response TXI in the same consideration. If I'm not improving my wake I'm not interested in trading.

If you read and trust what has been written on the 200 V drive it does ski as well as the DD or so close most will not see a difference.

I also seam to remember it has it has been approved for tournament skiing?

I have not skied it. 85 Barefoot you are correct about the washing machine effect but the CC 196 has the same and its still one of the best ski boats out.

Take one for a ride and judge. Its the only way to get the answer.

Different strokes for different folks, but the 196 doesn't start getting good in my opinion until shortline. We ski one in our rotation regularly. For a 15 off skier at 30 mph, no way I'd take it over a malibu wake. Sport 200 is heavier and rear weight biased, even more reason to question the "upgrade" in wakes from a late model rlxi to the sport 200. True, I have not slalomed the sport 200 but by watching video of slalom skier on CC's site, see no reason to get that excited about that wake if you're coming from a rlxi.

I appreciate the respnse from good skiers who have a passion for the sport. I personally feel like we have have two great companies who push each other to come with something better.

My gut tells me that the Sport 200= V-Drive and the Malibu Wakesetter VTX with the Diamond cut hull would be a good comparrision. Since I carry alot of weight in my boat (4-6 people,WetSounds Speakers, 3 Amps and 2slaloms, abarefoot boom, and two boards that the V=drive may not perform too bad. Like you all have been saying , get in the boat and try them out. I may have to go to Florida in order to have something by spring. i think the inboard s will have the edge on the flattest wake, but some day we may have a spacious boat witha flat slalom wake and a rampy wakeboard wake. I realize Mastercraft may also be in this competion. Don't know to much about their models.

I appreciate the respnse from good skiers who have a passion for the sport. I personally feel like we have have two great companies who push each other to come with something better.

My gut tells me that the Sport 200= V-Drive and the Malibu Wakesetter VTX with the Diamond cut hull would be a good comparrision. Since I carry alot of weight in my boat (4-6 people,WetSounds Speakers, 3 Amps and 2slaloms, abarefoot boom, and two boards that the V=drive may not perform too bad. Like you all have been saying , get in the boat and try them out. I may have to go to Florida in order to have something by spring. i think the inboard s will have the edge on the flattest wake, but some day we may have a spacious boat witha flat slalom wake and a rampy wakeboard wake. I realize Mastercraft may also be in this competion. Don't know to much about their models.

Mastercraft offers the x14 and the x14v. Not sure how they ski though.

If you do come down to FL...we should have another new '12 sport by then for you to ride behind & check it out. Right now just have a '12 200 team 409 (typically our jump boat) to compare it to.

But we have people running the course anywhere from 15'-35' off behind it and use it for people who trick or wakeboard.