Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Johnson Ultra Ballast Pump V. Tsunami 1200?

scott_fx

I keep reading how amazing and fast the johnson ultra ballast pumps are. are they just faster then the stock pumps or would they give a tsunami 1200 gph a run for it's money? To me, based on just the raw specs, the johnson pump would be considerably slower. am i missing something?

The Johnson pumps are reversible and the tsunami are not. That is the biggest difference and a huge one at that

there isn't a big speed difference?

question no.2:

i plan on integrating the bow and ski locker sacs to run off one pump (or set of pumps).

my initial idea was:

Fillling: using the existing tsunami pump connected to the fill port on the bow sac, let it drain into (aka fill) the center sac. when the center sac is full, it'll block the water from draining out of the bow sac, in turn, filling the bow sac.

Draining: drain from the drain port of the center sac using a second pump. as it drains the water from the bow sac will gravity feed into the center sac.

with two pumps, this works fine in theory. but if i had a reversible pump, could it pump that much water that distance (filling the center first then overflowing into the higher bow sac? This isn't an issue of cost or ease of installation. it's more a question of speed. since i'll be filling two sacs with one pump now.

Edited by scott_fx

there isn't a big speed difference?

question no.2:

i plan on integrating the bow and ski locker sacs to run off one pump (or set of pumps).

my initial idea was:

Fillling: using the existing tsunami pump connected to the fill port on the bow sac, let it drain into (aka fill) the center sac. when the center sac is full, it'll block the water from draining out of the bow sac, in turn, filling the bow sac.

Draining: drain from the drain port of the center sac using a second pump. as it drains the water from the bow sac will gravity feed into the center sac.

with two pumps, this works fine in theory. but if i had a reversible pump, could it pump that much water that distance (filling the center first then overflowing into the higher bow sac? This isn't an issue of cost or ease of installation. it's more a question of speed. since i'll be filling two sacs with one pump now.

I think you'll find this setup painfully slow.

I think you'll find this setup painfully slow.

just to be clear. what setup. the dual bag setup (filling and emptying from seperate pumps) or the johnson pump filling from the bottom?

well i thought about this last night and i figured out a way to use a johnson pump to fill from the top and empty from the bottom. all you need is a y splitter and two check valves. That being said. am i still better off with my existing tsunami 1200gph pumps over the johnson (that fills from the top)?

Scott,

Don't use aerators to fill and drain multiple bags. It will not work as well as you want unless the setup is perfect and the moon is full. Use a Johnson reversible pump. Use a Tee fitting to split the fill/drain line before it gets to the bags. If you want control use a divert-er wye valve to direct flow. Fill both bags at the same time from the bottom port. Don't worry about trying to fill from the top. The Johnson pump is strong and will have no problem pushing water into the bags from the bottom. No need to piggy back two soft bags in the midship/bow of the boat.

Plan on getting a fill rate of 85 to 90 lbs. of water a minute.

Scott,

Don't use aerators to fill and drain multiple bags. It will not work as well as you want unless the setup is perfect and the moon is full. Use a Johnson reversible pump. Use a Tee fitting to split the fill/drain line before it gets to the bags. If you want control use a divert-er wye valve to direct flow. Fill both bags at the same time from the bottom port. Don't worry about trying to fill from the top. The Johnson pump is strong and will have no problem pushing water into the bags from the bottom. No need to piggy back two soft bags in the midship/bow of the boat.

Plan on getting a fill rate of 85 to 90 lbs. of water a minute.

ok, cool. that works too. you' can be expecting an order from me again :)

damn it! i just clicked on your prop website too.. ugh. that 5 blade is tempting.

Edited by scott_fx

damn it! i just clicked on your prop website too.. ugh. that 5 blade is tempting.

The 5 blade is temping but make sure it is a good fit for you before you pull the trigger. There are a lot of awesome prop options for your boat right now.

The 5 blade is temping but make sure it is a good fit for you before you pull the trigger. There are a lot of awesome prop options for your boat right now.

good idea. i have a 4 blade oj right now that im actually pretty happy with. I do need a better 'back up' prop though. i have a crappy 3 blade as a weekend saver. but i dont think it's gonna play well with wedge and ballast. :) anyways. that's a whole new thread.

Might want to check this thread before you do that.

yikes! 25 amps for that pump! looks like i have to beef up my controller!

Read the specs. 25amps is the size of fuse recommended for a 12V system.

Though the pump is listed as a 720GPH (or 12 Gallon Per Minute) pump, the specs list it @ 13.7 GPM (822GPH) @ 68 degrees on the water surface. Now you aren't pulling from the water surface, and you get .44PSI per foot of water depth. The more realistic spec is their rating for 1.4PSI (3.18 feet), at which the pump will draw 13A on a continuous load, and run 13.5 GPM.

So figure on 13A. Some will say "but at idle the alternator will push out 13-14V which will lower the current draw." That would be true except most alternators at idle won't push enough current to keep up with the demand of 1 or more pumps and will likely knock that voltage down more.

Read the specs. 25amps is the size of fuse recommended for a 12V system.

Though the pump is listed as a 720GPH (or 12 Gallon Per Minute) pump, the specs list it @ 13.7 GPM (822GPH) @ 68 degrees on the water surface. Now you aren't pulling from the water surface, and you get .44PSI per foot of water depth. The more realistic spec is their rating for 1.4PSI (3.18 feet), at which the pump will draw 13A on a continuous load, and run 13.5 GPM.

So figure on 13A. Some will say "but at idle the alternator will push out 13-14V which will lower the current draw." That would be true except most alternators at idle won't push enough current to keep up with the demand of 1 or more pumps and will likely knock that voltage down more.

ah. i didnt even realize that. thanks for clearing it up. I think my current relays are only rated for 10a at 12v though. it's easy enough; unlike the wedge where i am using a pwm speed control (to help from overshooting the desired position) i can just wire my 10a relays (those relays work at 5v which is arduino friendly) to a pair of 30a automotive relays and create an h-bridge that way. i'll just have plenty of overhead now. which is nice.

thanks for the reply!