Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Mxz Surf And Wake Info

tnvolgrad

I am in the process of upgrading my 2008 Tige RZ2 (don't abuse me to much for lurking in the BU site, just trying to look at all options), but I really like the MXZ and there has been little information in the market regarding the surf performance. I am curious to get the perspectives of anyone who has ridden or has any pics/videos of the MXZ in action. I also like the 24 LSV, but the reviews have been pretty mixed on the LSV for surfing.

At the moment my short list of boats are the Tige Z3, another RZ2, Malibu MXZ, or LSV 23/24 models. Below are my concerns/questions and any other feedback would be much appreciated:

* I do not want to add tons of ballast to make a descent wake - granted the 24 footers take a little more by virtue of size

* Along with the comment above I do not want the boat to list over 15 degress to achieve a good surf wake

* Anything below 22' is too small for us

* All the ballast must be hidden and plumbed - are there any custom surf sacs people are using?

* How do the surf wakes of the BU models mentioned compare to Centurion, Tige, etc?

Thanks Again!

I am in the process of upgrading my 2008 Tige RZ2 (don't abuse me to much for lurking in the BU site, just trying to look at all options), but I really like the MXZ and there has been little information in the market regarding the surf performance. I am curious to get the perspectives of anyone who has ridden or has any pics/videos of the MXZ in action. I also like the 24 LSV, but the reviews have been pretty mixed on the LSV for surfing.

At the moment my short list of boats are the Tige Z3, another RZ2, Malibu MXZ, or LSV 23/24 models. Below are my concerns/questions and any other feedback would be much appreciated:

* I do not want to add tons of ballast to make a descent wake - granted the 24 footers take a little more by virtue of size

* Along with the comment above I do not want the boat to list over 15 degress to achieve a good surf wake

* All the ballast must be hidden and plumbed - are there any custom surf sacs people are using?

* How do the surf wakes of the BU models mentioned compare to Centurion, Tige, etc?

Thanks Again!

I was on the precipice of buying a 2012 RZ2, in fact a close friend owns the Prestige dealership in Idaho and was going to give me a really good deal. When we took the boat out for a demo, the surf wave was clean but lacked something I couldnt put my finger on. All my friends that owned Malibus were very pleased with both the surfwave and the wake. My wife said she was afraid to really let loose in the RZ2 with kids, friends and guests because the boat looks and feels like an expensive Cadillac. thought that was an interesting perspective. After I bought the MXZ, the news on it just keeps getting better and better although I have yet to ride behind it. I visit it at the boat shop often however.

Last year I test drove a Tige' RZR and a Malibu VLX. My wife and I slalom ski, so we wanted a decent ski wake and a good surf wake (since I wanted to start surfing). The Tige' had (a bit) too much of a wake for me to slalom behind. It had a bit of a hook (lip) on the top of the wake. The Malibu's ski wake was more rounded.

The Tige' surf wake was amazing (better than the Bu). Tige's dash is very clean and easy to access the touch screen. The Bu's touch screen is partly behind the steering wheel (you have to look around the steering wheel to see some of the buttons). Both appear to be solid boats with plenty of room.

I ended up buying a Bu because I found a really good deal on one, in colors I liked (MU colors), and better ski wake.

Best advice (from many on this site) is to test drive/ski/surf/board (whatever it is that you do) each one. I would not spend abuncha bank on one w/o test driving it first.

Thanks Again!

It's been mentioned already, but your best bet is going to be to testdrive as there aren't many people with a lot of experience on the MXZ yet. The RZ2 has a very nice surf wake. In my opinion, with just factory weight, the RZ2 is probably a tad better than the Malibu's I've surfed with factory weight. The wakeboard wakes on Malibus are usually a little less sensitive with side to side weight than the RZ2. I haven't been in or behind an MXZ yet though, but it does draft a little more than the other Malibu's so I'd think it would take a little less weight to make a solid surf wave. Bottom line, you can get a good surf wave out of any of the boats in Malibu's line and I don't think you'll be dissappointed. Your decision should really come down to dealer, cost, and what boat you like more.

In my opinion the Malibu 247 is the best wave out. The Tige z3 (I own a tige 24v) will be close, but I don't think it will be able to beat Wheelhouses wave. Best wave with less then 2k ballast will be the enzo. If your crew surfs one side that would be the boat to get. Find a 24 footer with the switchblade and enzo sacs installed and you would have a turn key surf machine.

Maybe someday. Boats are expensive!! I need the 247 value to come down. I am going to cut my chines out on my boat and the wave should improve drastically. That is all Tige really did on the new z3.

TN Vol grad... I'd like you to post up a mixed review on the surf wake of a 247... Like you said in your OP. Where are you seeing bad feedback? I'd encourage you to keep reading on the 23 and 247 LSVs. Only drawback ever mentioned on here is a 23 with the 350 motor, the bigger engines are more desirable for surfing.

About the only wakeboat out there that has more ability surfwise are the 230 and 240 Centurion Enzos IMHO. The 23 and 247 Malibus are great surfboats, especially when you get into the larger engines.

I had a 2007 RZ2 and loved it, but I had to get a new boat and decided on the MXZ. The Bu's are not as touchy with moving people around, its a total different boat but you can go wrong with either.....go ride both and get which you feel better in

We've put 10 hours on ours and could not be not ask for any more out of the MXZ. We do very little surfing, but with the stock ballast you can tell it has good potential. I've had 750's plumbed in the rear already, if we have time I'll pull a surf wake when we go out tomorrow afternoon with the extra ballast. Except for days we have additional people I don't have any intentions of adding more than the 750 for surfing.

Here's one pic, just two of us in the boat, stock ballast, back in December.

IMG_3406.jpg

We've put 10 hours on ours and could not be not ask for any more out of the MXZ. We do very little surfing, but with the stock ballast you can tell it has good potential. I've had 750's plumbed in the rear already, if we have time I'll pull a surf wake when we go out tomorrow afternoon with the extra ballast. Except for days we have additional people I don't have any intentions of adding more than the 750 for surfing.

IMG_3406.jpg

That looks pretty descent - I bet if you loaded some more weight (front/rear) and played with the wedge it definately has some promise to it. Thanks for sharing - ironically I am looking at the same paint schema MXZ as yours! Looks great!

TN Vol grad... I'd like you to post up a mixed review on the surf wake of a 247... Like you said in your OP. Where are you seeing bad feedback? I'd encourage you to keep reading on the 23 and 247 LSVs. Only drawback ever mentioned on here is a 23 with the 350 motor, the bigger engines are more desirable for surfing.

About the only wakeboat out there that has more ability surfwise are the 230 and 240 Centurion Enzos IMHO. The 23 and 247 Malibus are great surfboats, especially when you get into the larger engines.

Below are some discussions around wake performance, wegiht, issues getting the wake dialed in, and set-ups.

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=774565

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=332501

Below are some discussions around wake performance, wegiht, issues getting the wake dialed in, and set-ups.

I Read both. That guy should have come here to TMC for advice. Exactly whats been reiterated on here numerous times....23LSV with the 350 motor will struggle in the 3000lb range unless you change the prop. Lots of folks on here have done that and have had good results. The 247s all come with bigger engines, so its not an issue. Seems like the VLX doesnt require as much weight and 2000lbs does very well in the VLX for surfing.

This is what the 247 looks like with 3000ish lbs. Nothing mixed about the reviews on the surf wake behind my boat.

Top is is running about 12.6 mph...very fast powerfull wave. Bottm pic is about 11.2-11.6ish...

5778603829_c24653f69a_z.jpg

5778603417_e8fe8705d1_b.jpg

Edited by nyryan2001

IMG_3406.jpg

how did you have that configured to produce that wave? The dealership says to load one side only...I would normally disagree

how did you have that configured to produce that wave? The dealership says to load one side only...I would normally disagree

Your dealer is correct. In order to get the wave on one side of the boat, you load down that one side of the boat to make it list over and create the wave. I'm guessing in that pic, the stock rear locker ballast on the driver side, the center, and the front ballast were all filled. The only one that wouldn't have been filled is the rear locker on the non-surf side. If you want the wave bigger, then you would add more weight to the surf side only, like a 750 lb sack in the rear locker, and additional weight on or under the seats on the surf side.

Your dealer is correct. In order to get the wave on one side of the boat, you load down that one side of the boat to make it list over and create the wave. I'm guessing in that pic, the stock rear locker ballast on the driver side, the center, and the front ballast were all filled. The only one that wouldn't have been filled is the rear locker on the non-surf side. If you want the wave bigger, then you would add more weight to the surf side only, like a 750 lb sack in the rear locker, and additional weight on or under the seats on the surf side.

Exactly how it was weighted with and the wedge set up two clicks. If you use the Surf settings from the factory they do not have the bow tank filled and the wedge at 100%, so you need to change that. I took my son out wakeboarding late yesterday, but didn't have the time to try anything with the surf wake.

Thanks Again!

I have a 2010 23lsv and I just ordered the tige' z3. I don't know about the MXZ other than my wife thinks it's ugly. I can tell you that to get the comparable surf wake to the z3 I had to add 2300lbs beyond factory ballast. Rubrail underwater and felt unsafe. Just my thoughts.

I have a 2010 23lsv and I just ordered the tige' z3. I don't know about the MXZ other than my wife thinks it's ugly. I can tell you that to get the comparable surf wake to the z3 I had to add 2300lbs beyond factory ballast. Rubrail underwater and felt unsafe. Just my thoughts.

I hope you tested the Z3. I have not heard much on that boat yet and I for one am curious to see the Wave. I imagine you are going to be adding weight to the Z3 as well but what is in it for factory ballast?