Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Oj Tz X5 Vs. Oj Fusion 532

Fman

I just sold my ACME 1939 which I was using for a spare prop, I am currently running the OJ Fusion 532 (2011 VLX, Monsoon 350) which I have been pleased with all last season. I am getting ready to purchase a new spare and am considering using the 532 for a spare and going to the 5 blade TZ X5. Is it worth $589? compared to $422 for the 539?

Any input appreciated....

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• skicrave

• Malibudude

• shawndoggy

• Fman

You will be disappointed with either OJ's 5 blade or ACME's 5 Blade on your boat. At least right now, none of the five blades offer any additional performance over what is available from a four blade. They look great, and have wow factor, but that's it.

If you want something new take a look at the 2313, it offers much better performance than the five blades, and will be the direction props move over the next season or two. Let me know if you want me to send one down to you to test out.

You will be disappointed with either OJ's 5 blade or ACME's 5 Blade on your boat. At least right now, none of the five blades offer any additional performance over what is available from a four blade. They look great, and have wow factor, but that's it.

If you want something new take a look at the 2313, it offers much better performance than the five blades, and will be the direction props move over the next season or two. Let me know if you want me to send one down to you to test out.

15x12! That should pull some stumps, but must be redlining at 35?

With a Monsoon it will do 38, so not that far off of a 1235, but better low speed performance. It's a beast for sure.

Any idea how it would work on the new 410hp engine? If it will do 40 I think I might be sold!

Thanks-

Haven't tested it on that motor yet, but it should provide enough load, if not we can step up to a little more pitch.

Give me a call if you're willing to test one and report back on it.

With a Monsoon it will do 38, so not that far off of a 1235, but better low speed performance. It's a beast for sure.

I would be interested in finding out more information on this prop, top speed with my OJ 532 is only about 41 MPH. Rarely do I cruise over 30 mph, how does it do on fuel consumption comparing to the OJ Fusion 532/ACME 1235? How does your test program work?

I would be interested in finding out more information on this prop, top speed with my OJ 532 is only about 41 MPH. Rarely do I cruise over 30 mph, how does it do on fuel consumption comparing to the OJ Fusion 532/ACME 1235? How does your test program work?

Have you tried the OJ 475? I prefer the OJ 468 which is the same a the fusion 532, personally I'd get the same prop as you have now rather than a whole new one and have to learn it's characteristics all over again.

I just got a new mxz with the 1235 but I would like to test one of these new props out if it will help. My boat is always loaded down with 3k+ lbs and can always use the out of the hole power. Let me know about trying this new prop out.

Haven't tested it on that motor yet, but it should provide enough load, if not we can step up to a little more pitch.

Give me a call if you're willing to test one and report back on it.

Game on. Let's plan on shipping it up when I order the piggy back system here in a few weeks!

I'll do a full comparison like some of the other guys have done previously on the site.

-Chad D.

Have you tried the OJ 475? I prefer the OJ 468 which is the same a the fusion 532, personally I'd get the same prop as you have now rather than a whole new one and have to learn it's characteristics all over again.

The 2313 is probably an overkill for our boating needs... we only run factory MLS/wedge for wakeboarding, and for surfing add the 750lb bag to rear ski locker, the 532 seems to pull great. I have just heard some negative feedback on OJ props loosing blades and are not quite at the same build quality as the ACME 1235? Whats your thoughts on this comparing OJ to ACME build quality?

The 2313 is probably an overkill for our boating needs... we only run factory MLS/wedge for wakeboarding, and for surfing add the 750lb bag to rear ski locker, the 532 seems to pull great. I have just heard some negative feedback on OJ props loosing blades and are not quite at the same build quality as the ACME 1235? Whats your thoughts on this comparing OJ to ACME build quality?

Um, can't say that the quality in terms of durability is any less w/ either brand. I've talked to both companies and both are great. I had an Acme on my old boat and OJ on the current. w/ each I've got about 500 hours +/- on each prop. There is no issue w/ OJ, trust me. If I felt there was or could be I'd take it off. I know more members who have had their props altered by OJ to fit their individual tastes, Eric is very accommodating. I prefer the performance of the OJ 468 to the Acme 1235. I use the stock weight but usually have a boat full and surf w and additional 1550lbs or more.

I think that is the first negative on the 5 blade I have heard. I am sure you saw the long thread on WW where guys touted it as having equal hole shot, but less RPM at boarding speeds. I would like to see some more unbiased reviews. Personally, I am not the kind who has to be the first to get the latest and greatest, but I don't want to be last either.

There's shouldn't be a huge difference in fuel consumption (there rarely is from one prop to the next once the load is removed from the engine). Contact us for details on our prop guarantee.

The 468 and 475 are great props, but right now OJ doesn't have something comparable to ACME's new 15 inchers, it's an Apples to Oranges comparison. These new props won't make sense for everyone, and we still recommend a lot of OJ props, but for the right application, there are better options.

I just got a new mxz with the 1235 but I would like to test one of these new props out if it will help. My boat is always loaded down with 3k+ lbs and can always use the out of the hole power. Let me know about trying this new prop out.

Get in touch with us and we'll get you one to run if you're looking for an upgrade.

Game on. Let's plan on shipping it up when I order the piggy back system here in a few weeks!

I'll do a full comparison like some of the other guys have done previously on the site.

-Chad D.

Great, looking forward to it!

I think those are urban legends that have been blown out of proportion. Both companies make good products, some better suited for certain applications than other. As a consumer it's a great thing, because it means there are plenty of choices to get the perfect prop for your application.

very interested on the 6.0L 410 HO feedback. My boat will surf over 4000lbs of ballast... but I like to do it with less effort.

As am I, we'll keep everyone posted.

I think that is the first negative on the 5 blade I have heard. I am sure you saw the long thread on WW where guys touted it as having equal hole shot, but less RPM at boarding speeds. I would like to see some more unbiased reviews. Personally, I am not the kind who has to be the first to get the latest and greatest, but I don't want to be last either.

It can be difficult to get unbiased opinions with all of the Kool-aid in the water. Like I mentioned in another thread, we'll be running full instrumented tests in the next few weeks of all of the new props from ACME and OJ. The amount of innovation that has gone on in the last six months is amazing, definitely the most since machined props were introduced in the late 90s.

There's shouldn't be a huge difference in fuel consumption (there rarely is from one prop to the next once the load is removed from the engine). Contact us for details on our prop guarantee.

The 468 and 475 are great props, but right now OJ doesn't have something comparable to ACME's new 15 inchers, it's an Apples to Oranges comparison. These new props won't make sense for everyone, and we still recommend a lot of OJ props, but for the right application, there are better options.

Get in touch with us and we'll get you one to run if you're looking for an upgrade.

Great, looking forward to it!

I think those are urban legends that have been blown out of proportion. Both companies make good products, some better suited for certain applications than other. As a consumer it's a great thing, because it means there are plenty of choices to get the perfect prop for your application.

As am I, we'll keep everyone posted.

Yes improvements are being made, but not $500 worth... :)

I just sold my ACME 1939 which I was using for a spare prop, I am currently running the OJ Fusion 532 (2011 VLX, Monsoon 350) which I have been pleased with all last season. I am getting ready to purchase a new spare and am considering using the 532 for a spare and going to the 5 blade TZ X5. Is it worth $589? compared to $422 for the 539?

Any input appreciated....

The 5 blade runs as well as the fusion with lower cruise RPM than the fusion from what I've heard. Remember OJ and Acme will exchange props and most retailers so your not stuck w/ anyone prop, undamaged of course.

It can be difficult to get unbiased opinions with all of the Kool-aid in the water. Like I mentioned in another thread, we'll be running full instrumented tests in the next few weeks of all of the new props from ACME and OJ. The amount of innovation that has gone on in the last six months is amazing, definitely the most since machined props were introduced in the late 90s.

Kool-aid...that is what I was trying to say.

But it fascinates me that the biggest innovation in the last 10 years (5 blade prop for wakeboats) is apparently a bust, by your testing. Thanks for your input, I always look forward to hearing from your experience...that is why I support responsible vendor participation in this forum :whistle:

I should be careful to clarify that it is not my intention to make blanket statements about a prop's performance, as there are far too many factors to take into consideration, and a prop that is terrible on one boat may be a star on another.

So far what we've seen is that except for high output motors (old 8.1L, 7.4L and some supercharged small blocks), the five blade (from either OJ or ACME) does not perform better than an available four blade. Obviously there are exceptions to that rule, and there are scenarios where the 5 blades may make more sense, but Travis' (FMan) engine/use combination is certainly not one of them.

Stay tuned for more scientific testing soon, which should hopefully tell the picture better.

Edited by skicrave

I contacted Nettle Props and spoke with JT, he told me he would take the ACME 1235 over any 5 blade prop, more blades to go wrong, and really no noticeable performance improvement over the 1235. This was his opinion, but it sounds like the 5 blades are not recieving any incredible reviews worth $600+.

Next question...

What is the difference between the OJ 468 and OJ 532?

More pitch (14.5 vs 14) and more cup (.120 vs .110). I also think the fusion is a bit thinner.

If you are looking for a change in performance I don't think the 468 is the right prop. I'd bet you couldn't tell the difference in a blind test.

I contacted Nettle Props and spoke with JT, he told me he would take the ACME 1235 over any 5 blade prop, more blades to go wrong, and really no noticeable performance improvement over the 1235. This was his opinion, but it sounds like the 5 blades are not recieving any incredible reviews worth $600+.

Next question...

What is the difference between the OJ 468 and OJ 532?

IIRC they are the same dimensions but the 532 is a cast of the CNC'd 468.