Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Replacement Interior Skins

My sporty is coming of the age to replace the interior. Cry.gif What

do you suggest? Go back with original or just let an upholstery

shop wing it! Where can you buy them and does anyone know

how much. Shocking.gif

Someone will have the name of the guy in Cali that used to work for Malibu that does replacement skins. His name is cheazo or something like that i think.

On another note I need to get some new skins for a 99 Sunsetter. Some of them are getting a bit aged. Mainly cracking at the seams!

Edited by jpeavytx

I reskinned my 99 sunsetter last year, but mainly because the prior owner sucked in the care department.

I ordered the skins from my dealer, but I believe last year may have been the last year they were available for that model. This may be the case with your sporty depending on the year.

Here is the one thing I can tell you, I did not have my dealer do the job, this saved me a lot of money, I did try and go with a local guy at first and found that a normal upholstrey(sp?) guy will not have all the correct tools, staples and general knowledge to make you happy.

Go with someone sho does marine products, it is worth it. That is what I finally did, only cost me a bit of time.

If you are thinking about doing this, you better get on someones schedule right now, they fill up fast if they are not already filled for the season.

Good Luck, and I cannot believe how new it made the boat look!

I got this from a few posts at WakesideRides

Try your dealer to get the skins.

If they aren't available through the dealer, try to get in contact with Chee Mauo. He still works for Malibu, but makes skins for older boats on the side.

Chee will get the pattern and colors of your boat from your hull ID number. The texture of the vinyl is different, it is the new softer vinyl that he uses. The pattern will match but of course the colors will not match exactly due to fading. Be patient when working with Chee.

The best way to get in touch with Chee is through Ellery Cardoso [email protected]. She will let Chee know and he should call you. Most of the people who had skins done were VERY happy with them and they cost them between $900 & $1,200 and then about $800 to install, though they have said you could install them yourself.

Search for 'Chee' in the forums on WakesideRides & you'll see lots of posts from people who've had it done.

Chee Mauo, call or email Malibu and they could tell you how to get in touch with him. I've exchanged some emails with Amy Mauzy on an unrelated topic, she's been very helpful.

Daniel

edit: weinerdog beat me to it

Edited by Daniel
Someone will have the name of the guy in Cali that used to work for Malibu that does replacement skins. His name is cheazo or something like that i think.

On another note I need to get some new skins for a 99 Sunsetter. Some of them are getting a bit aged. Mainly cracking at the seams!

I knew it started with Ch. I had him make me a skin a year or two ago. He did take his sweet time in getting it done!

• 2 weeks later...

I am sending Chee, a check on Monday for new skins for my 93 echelon.

He told me on Thursday that it would be about a 2 week turn around for them.

Send me a pm if you need help getting intouch with him.

I went through Ellery Cardoso [email protected] at Malibu and he called me.

I knew it started with Ch. I had him make me a skin a year or two ago. He did take his sweet time in getting it done!

Edited by danadog
I am sending Chee, a check on Monday for new skins for my 93 echelon.

He told me on Thursday that it would be about a 2 week turn around for them.

Send me a pm if you need help getting intouch with him.

I went through Ellery Cardoso [email protected] at Malibu and he called me.

How much were the skins? you can PM me if you (or Chee) doesn't want it broadcast.

I'm interested in the price also. I have a 92 EuroF3 that is in need of seat skins.

I'll have to try Ellery Cardoso, I sent an email about 2 weeks ago to a different contact at malibu and have not heard back from Malibu or Chee.

Started taking apart the interior yesterday getting ready for the new skins to arrive from Chee.

Yes, send Ellery a email and Chee will get back to you. It might take a little while but he will call you out of the blue.

I will post pics as the work starts getting done.

Can't wait for summer Yahoo.gif

I'm interested in the price also. I have a 92 EuroF3 that is in need of seat skins.

I'll have to try Ellery Cardoso, I sent an email about 2 weeks ago to a different contact at malibu and have not heard back from Malibu or Chee.

Edited by danadog

You can call Mallory(I think that is her name) at Malibu and she will give you the number of Chee Mauo. I had him do all the seat cushions on my 96 Sunsetter about 2 years ago.

He has the original templates and has access to the proper color vinyl for all the boats. In fact he designed most of the interiors of all the older Bu's.

I got my skins and they fit like a glove. Interior of my boat looks brand new and the cost was very resonable. I do not have his number but you can get it at Malibu.

I recommend his work highly. If I need anymore skins that is where I will go first.

Brazos Bu Biggrin.gif

I mailed my check to Chee Tueaday (Feb. 21). Will wait to here from Chee as to when to expect him to ship out the skins and a new drivers seat. My 92 was the last year to use plywood in the seat bases. New drivers seat is all plastic. I will be spending 300 to 500 dollars to get the plastic sheets to make my new seat bases. I will be doing the work myself. Keep me posted on how your reskin project goes.

• 4 weeks later...

Danadog,

Have you received your seat skins from Chee yet? If so when and how is the project going?

I'm still waiting to hear from Chee that he has finished my seat skin set and will be shipping them to me with a newer drivers seat.

Jgutzy

My skins just came on Friday. I was leaving for a quick ski trip to Utah as the box got dropped off. Just opened it up today they look great.

I found an old timer that has been in the same upholstery shop for 65 years and he is going to charge me $200-250 to install them all :)

I figure for that price why not have a pro install them.

One thing that did not come is the netting on the back of the drivers seat and on the engine cover.

Does anyone know where I could get the bunge netting?

Thanks

Danadog,

Have you received your seat skins from Chee yet? If so when and how is the project going?

I'm still waiting to hear from Chee that he has finished my seat skin set and will be shipping them to me with a newer drivers seat.

Jgutzy

Danadog,

Thanks for the update. Hopefully my interior skins might arrive by the end of this week with the new drivers seat also. If you find the bungee netting material let me know because I will need some for the back of the engine cover and under the dash.

I still think I will be doing the install seeing that I need to make all new plastic seat bases and backs.

jgutzy

Edited by jgutzy

The upholstery shop told me today that all he needs to do is put a new bungee cord along the top to make it like new?

We will see how that works out.

He did state that he could get the new netting if needed.